• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Digs For Entercom Miami

strangelove

Frequent Participant
The SF Business Journal reports The Beach, Shark, Ticket, and Lite FM will be heading south to new studios in Miami proper this fall. Lite and 790 have been in the Miami Gardens building since the 80s, correct? I know 102.7 was in Hollywood in a building on 29th Ave now occupied by an architectural firm and during the LMA version of The Ticket they were housed at Presidential Circle on Hollywood Blvd.

The SF Business Journal reports The Beach, Shark, Ticket, and Lite FM will be heading south to new studios in Miami proper this fall. Lite and 790 have been in the Miami Gardens building since the 80s, correct? I know 102.7 was in Hollywood in a building on 29th Ave now occupied by an architectural firm and during the LMA version of The Ticket they were housed at Presidential Circle on Hollywood Blvd.

It's their first anniversary today, Jan. 1. They seem to be doing mediocre in the ratings.
I think the playlist is still way too short. They've added some jocks, but
Jade Alexander is the only female. I headed for The Hills a long time ago.
Other thoughts?(from: http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?699423-A-year-at-The-Beach)

Well, the financial investment Entercom is making is commendable. That old Lincoln building was/is a dump, pretty much, and the new digs are very much needed. The infrastructure of that whole North Miami area is falling apart and the crime is rampant. And, there were actual "rats" in the area . . . . Can you imagine reporting to work and seeing rats?

However, this major investment making this move is at what cost?? First, the major investment of relocating 104.3 from WPB to Miami and the cost of flipping and staffing it as the Shark. Then, the upheaval with firing the Magic crew and "re-imaging" as the Beach.

It has been a year since that "reimage" (not flip) of WMXJ 102.7 The Beach and hasn't show any ratings improvement. It is as Richiedon stated above (and I agree), "mediocre" at best. We'll, the ratings tweaked, a tiny bit. But considering the upheaval and investment, it's disappointing overall. I am sure Entercom were expecting higher ratings improvements and it's not that much different from the old Magic vs. the Beach days.

As for the Shark? Please. What an underperforming disappointment. When WSFS 104.3 carried Sports from 790, it average a 1.7. The Shark has held those very same ratings for just over a year now and it's never going to get beyond the abysmal 1.5 to 1.7 it's pulling. When a NPR station (WLRN) beats you in the ratings, you got problems. That's the Shark's "rut" and they're stuck with it. Plus, this big anniversary 1 year "Shark Wreck" party back in August had no effect on improving the station's awareness or ratings. Listeners are still in the negative regarding the programming and some of the personalities. That's never going to change. Based on listener Reddit comments, the listeners were more supportive of NOT having to listen to sports on the AM.

There have been listener comments on social media to that negative on Reddit "The Shark Sucks"... and their have even been predictions the Shark will be gone within six months, and certainly won't be ringing in the new year of 2018 for sure. I think those predictions are right.

Even moreso, now that you have this major financial investments in a move with new/equipment and studios (especially after already building NEW studios for 104.3 The Shark). So, I don't see Entercomm settling for two stations that went through major overalls . . . with ratings that are no different that the previous incarnations of those same stations.

Once the move is completed and they begin broadcasting from the new digs, look for a format change on 104.3 The Shark definitely, and the Beach, probably.

Last edited:
Ah, the old days of Jefferson Pilot Communications (before it became Lincoln Financial Media; when Lincoln purchased JPC back in 2006).

Here's an old Sun Sentinel Article from August 2004 going through the history . . . when WAXY 790 first flipped from brokered "Community Radio" to "The Ticket" under an LMA with Primetime Media Group. Those were the days . . . .

Now, WAXY 790 is owned by the fourth largest broadcaster in the country and moving into new facilities in the heart of Miami. The WFUN, WNWS (with Uncle Neil and Tom Leykis), and WMRZ (running the Unistar satellite automation) days are so long ago.

Actually, Lincoln purchased 104.3 from CBS Radio, and moved it into Miami. Then LFM cashed out to Entercom.

Entercom bought 4 signals in Miami, which if you take into consideration the other markets they acquired, the swap for KSWD/Los Angeles, and the $105 million check they cut, they got a good deal in several major markets.

I'd expect to see The Shark flip, but I think 102.7 will remain classic hits.

But why move all the way to downtown? More than half the Miami/FTL broadcasters have moved to Broward over the years (Cox, iHeart, WTVJ, WPLG). That should tell the Fields something....

Ah, the old days of Jefferson Pilot Communications (before it became Lincoln Financial Media; when Lincoln purchased JPC back in 2006).

Here's an old Sun Sentinel Article from August 2004 going through the history . . . when WAXY 790 first flipped from brokered "Community Radio" to "The Ticket" under an LMA with Primetime Media Group. Those were the days . . . .

Now, WAXY 790 is owned by the fourth largest broadcaster in the country and moving into new facilities in the heart of Miami. The WFUN, WNWS (with Uncle Neil and Tom Leykis), and WMRZ (running the Unistar satellite automation) days are so long ago.

Does anyone know when JP/Lincoln took The Ticket in-house from Primetime, and why for that matter?

I thought I read somewhere that the people leasing the station decided to get not renew or dump the lease. There was speculation of a format change after that but LFM decided to keep the format and build on it.

Actually, Lincoln purchased 104.3 from CBS Radio, and moved it into Miami. Then LFM cashed out to Entercom.

Actually, LFM bought the station from Palm Beach Broadcasting. CBS already sold their stations off in West Palm to that group. PBB had to divest a station for owning too many in the WPB market. CBS should have held onto 104.3. They could have moved it into Miami on their own and added it to their own cluster. But, at the time, they probably had no idea they would end up with 3 stations in Miami from Beasley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WSFS_(FM)

I thought I read somewhere that the people leasing the station decided to get not renew or dump the lease. There was speculation of a format change after that but LFM decided to keep the format and build on it.

Interesting. Good that they found a way to make it work for them

It was either that or another brokered station. And there's only so many preachers and companies hocking snake oil to go around.

True, although I was certain they would do exactly that with 790 when The Ticket debuted on 104.3 and was rather surprised that they chose to simulcast rather than just broker out the AM station. Then again, they'd have been competing for business with WZAB and a number of other pay-for-play stations so perhaps it wasn't worth the hassle. I was definitely surprised when Entercom launched The Shark and relegated The Ticket to AM only. Never saw that coming. Does anyone know if The Shark is outperforming the old sports format in their target demo?

Last edited:

So, its been 8 months . . . what is the latest with the move to the new 22,500-square-foot space in The Citadel at 8300 N.E. Second Ave. in Miami along Miami's Little River? The "fall 2017" in the article is quickly coming upon us. Any one hear anything, or, if you've been down that way, seen any construction going on? Anyone know someone in the Entercom or CBS clusters with some inside scoop?

The article referenced said 104 jobs to be relocated. Does that number entail Entercom only or BOTH CBS and Entercom combined Miami employees? There's 104 people jammed in that Entercom four station cluster in North Miami? That doesn't sound right.

Obviously, once the CBS Entecom merger completes, and they move, they'll purge jobs, no doubt. I've read about some Entercom purging already in other markets.

Does anyone think/what are your opinions regarding 104.3 The Shark?

Once this Entercom/CBS deal completes and the move is completed, will the Shark flip? I say this because 102.7 The Beach and 101.5 Lite and doing really well . . . 790 The Ticket is the highest rated of the Sports stations in the bi-county area and bills really well. But man, the Shark ... with all that overpriced talent under performing, the flat ratings and all that money spent on these major Riptide concerts that have done nothing to spike the ratings . . . . I'd say they'd be the first to go in cost cutting move. New digs, new station to improve the cash flow. Perhaps something that skews more to the Latin Hispanic market surround the DT area of the new studios.

****Sidebar:

And . . . it’s in the trades, if you missed it, Pattie Moreno, who was axed five months into her gig as the PD at 102.7 The Beach (November 2015 to April 2016) filed a lawsuit for discrimination, because of what is deemed in the lawsuit “her anxiety/depression disorder/disability” and her “gender, female," and states it was an “an intimidating, oppressive, hostile and offensive work environment” and she faced treatment that “interfered with her emotional and physical well-being.

She’s looking for employment-related benefits, front pay, unpaid wages, attorney fees and punitive damages.

So, Entercom Miami just may take a hard financial hit. Between that Moreno suit (which I think she'll win) and the Shark’s perpetual financial draining with no signs of improvement, something’s gotta give . . . .

Last edited:
Does anyone think/what are your opinions regarding 104.3 The Shark?

Once this Entercom/CBS deal completes and the move is completed, will the Shark flip? I say this because 102.7 The Beach and 101.5 Lite and doing really well . . . 790 The Ticket is the highest rated of the Sports stations in the bi-county area and bills really well. But man, the Shark ... with all that overpriced talent under performing, the flat ratings and all that money spent on these major Riptide concerts that have done nothing to spike the ratings . . . . I'd say they'd be the first to go in cost cutting move. New digs, new station to improve the cash flow. Perhaps something that skews more to the Latin Hispanic market surround the DT area of the new studios.
I guess it depends on how The Shark is performing in its target demo and as for the jocks I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they have numerous other duties in the building besides an airshift. Overpriced? Couldn't tell you, but I'm sure the bosses do all they can to get their money's worth out of them. I've opined elsewhere that it seems unlikely to me that Entercom will keep two sports stations under the same roof once the merger is complete and I imagine some of 790's air staff merging with 560's with a possible FM simulcast on 104.3. 790 could either be sold off, brokered out, or just carry ESPN radio 24/7 and serve as a relief valve for when, say, the Panthers and Heat are scheduled at the same time. Just my thoughts.

I guess it depends on how The Shark is performing in its target demo and as for the jocks I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they have numerous other duties in the building besides an airshift.

Averaged 14th in 18-49 persons and 18th in 25-54 in last three books.

But man, the Shark ... with all that overpriced talent under performing, the flat ratings and all that money spent on these major Riptide concerts that have done nothing to spike the ratings . . . .

Why do you say that the talent is "overpriced"? Have you seen the W2s of the jocks? Remember, too, that jock salaries on most stations are not the biggest expense items (exception would be big local morning shows like those on WZTU and WAMR).

New digs, new station to improve the cash flow. Perhaps something that skews more to the Latin Hispanic market surround the DT area of the new studios.

Why would the neighborhood where the studios are have anything to do with the format? The transmitter is up at the farm on the Dade / Broward line, and it covers the whole market.

So, Entercom Miami just may take a hard financial hit. Between that Moreno suit (which I think she'll win) and the Shark’s perpetual financial draining with no signs of improvement, something’s gotta give . . . .

What makes you think she'll win? Is there a bad environment there?

As far as the Shark's "financial draining," Entercom will absolutely flip the station. To what? That's anyone's guess.

I guess it depends on how The Shark is performing in its target demo and as for the jocks I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they have numerous other duties in the building besides an airshift. Overpriced? Couldn't tell you, but I'm sure the bosses do all they can to get their money's worth out of them. I've opined elsewhere that it seems unlikely to me that Entercom will keep two sports stations under the same roof once the merger is complete and I imagine some of 790's air staff merging with 560's with a possible FM simulcast on 104.3. 790 could either be sold off, brokered out, or just carry ESPN radio 24/7 and serve as a relief valve for when, say, the Panthers and Heat are scheduled at the same time. Just my thoughts.

Entercom Buffalo has two sports AM's one carries ESPN Radio most of the time and the other is a bit more local. Somehow sports formatted stations must make money but I'm not sure how since I don't see much in the overall ratings. I know that 6+ numbers are just a beauty contest.

They could take one of the AM's News/Talk and go against WIOD that way they would have a station to sell against i-Heart. I don't think they'll do that but crazier things have happened.

I have to ask this question to DE,
with regard to the number of news/talk and sports stations this market can support.
If we split the market in two, one English language and one Spanish language,
what would be the number rankings of the two new markets?
1. The English language Miami?
2. The Spanish language Miami?
Forget about the minor ones.

Entercom Buffalo has two sports AM's one carries ESPN Radio most of the time and the other is a bit more local. Somehow sports formatted stations must make money but I'm not sure how since I don't see much in the overall ratings. I know that 6+ numbers are just a beauty contest.

They could take one of the AM's News/Talk and go against WIOD that way they would have a station to sell against i-Heart. I don't think they'll do that but crazier things have happened.
Might be an opportunity to bring back the WNWS calls for 790! The late James Crystal Radio carried ESPN on WFLL after the LMA with Mystik ended and had Fox Sports (among other networks) on WMEN as well. Different markets to be sure but they still had 2 of them in the same building.

I highly doubt that Entercom would go talk with any station. WIOD and WLRN, the 2 English talk stations in the market, don't do very well. Miami-Fort Lauderdale is just not a "talk" market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom