• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bring it back Boston

From the mid-'70s, WCOZ, WEEI-FM and WCAS (Cambridge). From the early '70s, John Garabedian's funky little WGTR Natick.

WBCN before the strike,
WEEI when it was a news station on 590

Both would be too expensive to operate in today's radio world.

I miss WTKK from about 7 years ago. The weekend lineup wasn't bad, with Joe Ligotti, Rick Schaffer, and the Phantom Gourmet guys, who could be hilarious. They all had three hour shows, which meant I could pretty much listen to them as I worked outside from 9-4/5/6 on the various construction projects I had going on. I built a garage, a woodworking workshop, a barn, a hay storage/tack building, and a dormer on my house listening to those guys saturdays and sundays.

I remember one segment where the PG guys punked this guy who authored some food-related article, claiming they were the hosts of the "Boston Mushroom Hour" (or something along those lines...) At the time, I was on the roof of my house, listening, as I was shingling the dormer. I was laughing so hard I was afraid I was going to fall off the roof. I do not think I've laughed as hard listening to talk since then.

No decent weekend talk now, unless I want to listen to investment shills attempting to sell me annuities or mutual funds.

I also miss the old days of Jerry Williams on my drive home from years back.

From the mid-'70s, WCOZ, WEEI-FM and WCAS (Cambridge). From the early '70s, John Garabedian's funky little WGTR Natick.

Went to Grahm Jr. College in Boston in the early '70s.....I remember listening to "Good Old Days Radio" with Tony Cennamo on WCAS...and Dick Provo (actually, voice tracks for automation.....) on WEEI-FM ---
"The Station For Groovy Grownups"!!!!:)
And.....Let's be precise here.....it was John X Garabedian....;)
For something "completely different"..... I'd listen to WBOS (92.9) -- Beautiful music back then.....nice to study by...!!

WFNX. I know it wasn't the most popular station in the market, but it had a very solid playlist, unlike "Burned Out Modern AC Gold", I mean "Alt".

Bring back "Electronic Mama," Stereo 105, WVBF. What a station! Magic Christian, Austin in Boston, Charlie Kendall, Joe Giota, Ron Robin, Frank Kingston Smith, and "an experience in time, space and music...the 25th hour!" All from a split level ranch in Framingham. I could not turn it off.

Went to Grahm Jr. College in Boston in the early '70s.....I remember listening to "Good Old Days Radio" with Tony Cennamo on WCAS...and Dick Provo (actually, voice tracks for automation.....) on WEEI-FM ---
"The Station For Groovy Grownups"!!!!:)
And.....Let's be precise here.....it was John X Garabedian....;)
For something "completely different"..... I'd listen to WBOS (92.9) -- Beautiful music back then.....nice to study by...!!

John H., not John X.! And the "other" jock at GTR was none other than Don Kelley, longtime PD at WMJX.

And the 'CAS I'd bring back would be the folk-rock incarnation, with Rick Starr (who went on to much bigger things in management) and Lisa Karlin (who went on to WCOZ and then to New York), among others.

I think I'd like to see an FM talker like WTKK back again. The static on the AM band is almost worse than some of the talk program hosts haha.

WRKO is on 93.7 WEEI-FM HD2 and
WBZ is on 98.5 WBZ-FM HD3

RaccoonerMan,

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that only a very small percentage of the listening population has HD radio in their cars and/or at home. My point being that two posters to this thread have expressed a wish for 96.9 WTKK to return. And now I would like to be the third to do so.

And, while I'm at it, since this is all a pipe dream anyway: Oldies 103.3 WODS; The Rock of Boston WBCN; WEEI on 590; WHDH on 850.

OK good point..and if you want WTKK back, Graham's in Atlanta, Barnicle prob at MSNBC, Severin could be available,McPhee is at WMEX (where Ligotti had a highly touted show that lasted about a month)..who else.

OK good point..and if you want WTKK back, Graham's in Atlanta, Barnicle prob at MSNBC, Severin could be available,McPhee is at WMEX (where Ligotti had a highly touted show that lasted about a month)..who else.

Graham lost his Cumulus gig in Atlanta in mid-2016. Supposedly, he's working in DC but not in radio; not sure.

But, yeah, Graham, Severin, McPhee; would love Jim and Margery but that ain't gonna happen. Andelman Brothers, Mel Robbins, Hank Morse on weekends....

Hmmm, Howie Carr always wanted to be on FM......

John H., not John X.! And the "other" jock at GTR was none other than Don Kelley, longtime PD at WMJX.

And the 'CAS I'd bring back would be the folk-rock incarnation, with Rick Starr (who went on to much bigger things in management) and Lisa Karlin (who went on to WCOZ and then to New York), among others.

I stand corrected on "John H."!!:)
Don Kelley (Donald John Richard Eugene Kelley...he used to spout this out on WHEB for the short time he was there with Bob Sinnet....just long enough to fire the whole on-air staff - including ME! - before heading to "greener pastures"....!:mad:

On an FM in Boston (Howie), yes, though he has been on FMs like WXTK on the Cape and some various FM stations and translators (like in Portland ME and Manchester NH in latter category).
On Patriots Day of 2013 when the marathon bombings happened, WEEI 93.7 simulcast parts of Howie's show.

Ah that's right about Graham and E&B are on FM radio on WGBH
http://news.wgbh.org/boston-public-radio
>>Join hosts Jim Braude and Margery Eagan on Boston Public Radio, for smart local conversation with leaders and thinkers shaping Boston.

Last edited:
WCRB 102.5 FM. Dave Tucker, Dave MacNeill, Table at Pops (informally remembered as Table at Scratches and Pops). Spotlight on Latvia ("A land and people by the Baltic Sea...striving to be free!"). WCRB Saturday Night with Richard L. Kaye. The Boston Symphony with William Pierce ("Welcome to another broadcast concert, part of the one million, four hundred seventy eight thousand, five hundred sixty seventh season of the Boston Symphony Awchestra, Seiji Ozawa, Music Director...").

My days of listening to Mr. Pierce and the BSO predate Ozawa......Eric Liensdorf was conductor...I used to WATCH on channel 2 and LISTEN to the (stereo) simulcast on WGBH-FM 89.7.....
Gone....but certainly NOT forgotten!!!:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom