• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kwame Dankwa out at KUB...oops, I mean Power 93.3

According to a highly respected trade publication Kwame's APD/PM Drive shift was "eliminated" after less than a year. I'd say that's amazing but these days it isn't. Hope he lands on his feet.

According to a highly respected trade publication Kwame's APD/PM Drive shift was "eliminated" after less than a year. I'd say that's amazing but these days it isn't. Hope he lands on his feet.

Sad to say, there's more of that where this came from. http://www.mysanantonio.com/busines...s-iHeartMedia-dealt-another-blow-10811221.php

Kwame probably wasn't the first, but he certainly won't be the last. At least when it all comes crashing down. he won't be directly underneath it now.

I don't think anyone has adjusted to KPWK. For most people when this gets brought up, KUBE is still 93.3 in Seattle and not in exile in Eatonville. Have they been listening? Maybe not. But that might also be another sign of the times....

Ok, wasn't sure if Brady was actually out or tracking for NYC. Congrats! This is a big loss for Seattle but good for him and the NYC market. Brady definitely deserves the promotion.

I don't think anyone has adjusted to KPWK. For most people when this gets brought up, KUBE is still 93.3 in Seattle and not in exile in Eatonville. Have they been listening? Maybe not. But that might also be another sign of the times....

Inability or unwillingness to accept a name change is flawed logic as to whether the audience remembers the name or not.

It's not an "inability" or "unwillingness" - it's called "heritage". In NYC CBS-FM tried going "Jack" and it was soundly rejected by listeners who came back when the original brand returned. Maybe iHM will get smart and undo the branding shift once they realize it isn't working as it should be."

So they've just eliminated the afternoon drive show all together? It looks like the show is now tracked out of San Diego. I'm having a hard time understanding the logic on that one, but it seems like iHeart has been blasted on this board many times before for some of their decision making. While KJR and The Jet have performed well for the most part, iHeart has definitely let KBKS slip over the past few years. Has KPWK ever finished above KBKS in the 18-34 demo after the switch?

It's not an "inability" or "unwillingness" - it's called "heritage". In NYC CBS-FM tried going "Jack" and it was soundly rejected by listeners who came back when the original brand returned. Maybe iHM will get smart and undo the branding shift once they realize it isn't working as it should be."

If "heritage" meant anything to the KUBE listener up to the day they changed their name, the station wouldn't have been struggling in the ratings. Think of it this way, there are women today in Power's target demo that weren't even born when Charlie & Ty were on KUBE.

Everybody here cried "heritage" when The Mountain went away, yet the station was ranked in the high teens in their target demo. Hot 103.7 spent most of 2016 hovering around number five rank in 18-34, which is what pays the bills and salaries, unlike "heritage".

I have a feeling that even if people do recognize that KUBE is gone, I think a lot of people see it as a rebranding rather than a format shift. I had an Uber driver a week or so after Power launched that had it on, and said "I don't know whay they changed the name of this station." The difference between New York and this situation in Seattle is there's a pretty significant difference between Jack and a Classic Hits or Oldies format.

In other news, they've named a replacement afternoon jock.
They are sharing the new afternoon talent with their sister station in Portland. Curious as to whether or not he will even be in the studio during the afternoon show, or if he'll be in Portland. Either way, he can't be in both places at once. KKWF does something similar, airing tracks from the midday show talent on their Portland sister station.

They are sharing the new afternoon talent with their sister station in Portland. Curious as to whether or not he will even be in the studio during the afternoon show, or if he'll be in Portland. Either way, he can't be in both places at once. KKWF does something similar, airing tracks from the midday show talent on their Portland sister station.

That's the iHM way, BOGO DJs. They'll probably have them do music for 10 stations and update the station websites when they're not busy.

And just maybe he won't forget the name of which station he is on!

I've never listened, but I'm sure it's done drop-in style (like Tesh, Delilah, Brooke & Jubal, etc.). When you're flanked by big imaging on one end and a song on the other, a lot of people won't seem to care (or particularly notice) if you don't spit out the station moniker/frequency as that's already been done by the big imaging. They just assume you're there.

And even if that's needed for whatever reason or an upcoming song or promo thing, whatever, it's easy to paste one into the segment file before it gets uploaded to whatever station.

Urban legend: Jack worked its way up to rather quickly exceed the 25-54 numbers that the failing CBS-FM oldies format had. It was much more successful in reaching a true sales demo than the old format.

However, CBS' sister station in Philly was in the first PPM test market and was discovering that some tweaking of the format was producing excellent PPM ratings. Rather than allow someone else in NYC to take advantage of this, they switched CBS-FM to a classic hits format, reclaiming a bit of the old image but with a very, very updated playlist.

I've never listened, but I'm sure it's done drop-in style (like Tesh, Delilah, Brooke & Jubal, etc.). When you're flanked by big imaging on one end and a song on the other, a lot of people won't seem to care (or particularly notice) if you don't spit out the station moniker/frequency as that's already been done by the big imaging. They just assume you're there.

And even if that's needed for whatever reason or an upcoming song or promo thing, whatever, it's easy to paste one into the segment file before it gets uploaded to whatever station.

That would make sense. I think they have a different way of doing it over at 100.7, though. Sometimes it's "93.1, The Wolf", and sometimes it's "99.5, The Wolf" lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom