• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Double Jewels?

As of right now anyway we have 99.3 Jewel FM AND 105.5 K-Jewel. Both running legal id's with KJWL call letters. Not simulcast.

Stunting?

ohh and now we hear what has happened to 99.3 Pretty much a swap of signals but i guess 99.3 is more current than 105.5 was. After all, it's "NOW FM". More Justin Beeber good god. I did hear the TOH ID on 105.5 as KJWL, but haven't yet heard new call on 99.3. I don't think i can listen long enuf to catch it. So do we now have a battle with 94.9 ...and who else?

105.5 is KJWL playing what I heard so far 80s hits, they just played "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2, followed by Ambrosia, then Madonna, a different format than what 99.3 KJWL had the last 2 years, no recent hits, 70s and 80s music much more listenable than Rewind was.
99.3 Now FM is probably going after 94.9, 97.1 and 101.1, like we really needed that.

Last edited:
Im with you there. I did catch hootie on 99.3, that was nice. I did hear TOH ids for both, they both id as kjwl.

I noticed on 105.5 TOH they said K-jewel, not KJWL, so I'm thinking It's still KJZN and 99.3 is still KJWL til the FCC approves the new call letters.

So we are saying that 99.3 KJWL is Now-FM and it's Top 40? Or Hot AC?

And 105.5 KJZN is now calling itself K-Jewel with an 80s based AC format? I think you need a larger African-American base for Classic Hip Hop to work. I've never heard of it working in a market where most of the potential audience is white and Latino.

According to Radio-Locator, the call letters haven't changed on either station, even though I'm guessing the KJWL call letters will soon go to 105.5, if that station is now calling itself K-Jewel. But they shouldn't use the KJWL legal I.D. on 105.5 if the FCC hasn't approved the call sign change yet.

So we are saying that 99.3 KJWL is Now-FM and it's Top 40? Or Hot AC?

And 105.5 KJZN is now calling itself K-Jewel with an 80s based AC format? I think you need a larger African-American base for Classic Hip Hop to work. I've never heard of it working in a market where most of the potential audience is white and Latino.

According to Radio-Locator, the call letters haven't changed on either station, even though I'm guessing the KJWL call letters will soon go to 105.5, if that station is now calling itself K-Jewel. But they shouldn't use the KJWL legal I.D. on 105.5 if the FCC hasn't approved the call sign change yet.

I heard the call letters on 105.5 as KJWL, on 99.3 what heard at the TOH as a very quick ID KJ- hard to tell if they said KJZN or KJWL, on 99.3, to me the format is more like 101.1 than KBOS 94.9 and KSEQ 97.1, so the answer to the question is it Hot AC or Top 40, I say Both, It's less "R&B" than 94.9 and 97.1, and 105.5 K-Jewel has an "older" playlist than they did last year on 99.3.

I heard the call letters on 105.5 as KJWL, on 99.3 what heard at the TOH as a very quick ID KJ- hard to tell if they said KJZN or KJWL, on 99.3, to me the format is more like 101.1 than KBOS 94.9 and KSEQ 97.1, so the answer to the question is it Hot AC or Top 40, I say Both, It's less "R&B" than 94.9 and 97.1, and 105.5 K-Jewel has an "older" playlist than they did last year on 99.3.

I think I agree with all of that. 105.5 is playing older music than Jewel FM was and 98.9 is. So at least there is a reason to choose one over the other. As far as NowFM on 99.3? Well it's just too bad they couldn't try something that isn't being done, but then again, everything that isn't being done has failed at one time or another.

I think I agree with all of that. 105.5 is playing older music than Jewel FM was and 98.9 is. So at least there is a reason to choose one over the other. As far as NowFM on 99.3? Well it's just too bad they couldn't try something that isn't being done, but then again, everything that isn't being done has failed at one time or another.

I actually like 105.5 The New K-Jewel, I hear a lot of song not heard in here in awhile even on KSOF 98.9, K-jewel is much more listenable than 98.9, You can here Gerry Rafferty "Baker Street" and NOT be followed with Katy Perry or Bruno Mars lol.

Last edited:
I actually like 105.5 The New K-Jewel, I hear a lot of song not heard in here in awhile even on KSOF 98.9, K-jewel is much more listenable than 98.9, You can here Gerry Rafferty "Baker Street" and NOT be followed with Katy Perry or Bruno Mars lol.

Yeah I check 105.5 alot more that I used to check 99.3 or 98.9. I have stopped checking 99.3. I used to check both, 105.5 and 99.3 but I'm probably a little unique.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom