• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why Isn't 95.7 Using The Jack Format?

Even their small market station in Palm Springs (not even a top 100 market) is local, and live much of the day.

Exactly, and even if they were using Jack, as they do in Dallas, it's not delivered from a satellite. The Jack format is custom designed for each market. There is no satellite feed. It's all locally assembled in each studio.

Just curious, how can you tell it's a local list?

It does not match the list of comparable '82 to '92 core songs on any other CBS station on BDS. That means it is a custom list for that market.

And as has been said, CBS does not do things that way.

Last edited:
Exactly, and even if they were using Jack, as they do in Dallas, it's not delivered from a satellite. The Jack format is custom designed for each market. There is no satellite feed. It's all locally assembled in each studio.

The playlist and blend is custom in the Top 50 markets, with a commensurate fee. In the under-50 market size, it's delivered pre-programmed.

Regardless, there is no satellite feed.

I THINK the Canadian distributor maintains a Satellite, I might be wrong on that one. I can confirm Jack-FM is Dial Global Local however.
They might've had a satellite when the format first rolled out nationwide.

I THINK the Canadian distributor maintains a Satellite, I might be wrong on that one. I can confirm Jack-FM is Dial Global Local however.
They might've had a satellite when the format first rolled out nationwide.

The US owner of the Jack intellectual content is Sparknet with offices in LA and Nashville. The Canadian company has nothing to do anymore with the US distribution. George Burns, the long-time programmer and consultant, is one of the Sparknet managers.

Dial Global was folded into Westwood One and Sparknet's Jack is distributed by them to run locally from workparts in markets outside the top 50.

Last edited:
Jack's license agreement is markets above 51 run it via their consulting and jockless for one year.....after that, they can go with live DJs and local promotion but still use Sparknet's consulting, etc..

Below Market 50, its sat only......I talked with them about running it on my AM...they liked it since it went somewhat with the "Whenever, whatever we want to play".....JACK FM on AM?? HMMM ;) But Im doing it on my own with a wider music selection...and Jeff Davis as the voice...

I miss 106-9 The Zone. It went off the air in 2011. And you're right, other than 94-5 The Buzz, there just isn't anything for Gen X'ers to get into.

Doesnt matter what the display says...The only legal place the callsign has to be used is in the TOH Legal ID....(remember KBTL on 920 AM?? Call was not KBTL but they called themselves Beatle Radio with the real sign only given at the TOH)

Noted--just stating an observation. The TOH is legal.

The Beat does the same thing where the display indicates "BEAT".

Just my opinion, but I think it looks tacky.

Last edited:
What about when it is a rainy day in Houston? Is the station identified on those days as 95-7 the Wet Spot?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom