96.5 Rumor Mill
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 96.5 Rumor Mill

96.5 Rumor Mill

I'm not a fan of rumor posts, so please excuse me, but I wanted to post what seems to be repeated on many other message boards. Maybe someone has something they can add. The crux is that the Hot staff is, at least in part, still employed and will be moved over to 96.5 for the launch of 96-5 NOW or Amp 96-5. The Mix morning team, according to word, is out. I actually think they fit in on The Spot... Which makes the idea of flipping 95.7 first weird. A lot of non-radio insiders seem to be upset over Hot being flipped. I haven't seen this much 'outcry' since Jack FM went away.
    I remember when this board was active, fun and informative.

I'm one of them, I rarely listen to music in English. The only reason I listen to music in English was because of the staff of HOT 95.7,

Sarah Pepper and Ivan had me cracking up in the morning. What you doing in the Court House? I will miss them..

96.5 to classic hits or AAA.

Happy new year!

Would this make any sense? First CBS ends Top 40 programming on 95.7. Then it waits a while and starts Top 40 programming on 96.5? If that was the goal, why not just put Adult Hits on 96.5 and re-focus 95.7 as AMP Radio or whatever? Would CBS send KKHH's listeners off to other stations, hoping to get them back some time later on KHMX? Maybe some of the KKHH staff will stay employed on KHMX, but I would guess they'd still be doing Hot AC, aimed at 30+ year old women, not the 18-34 demo that KKHH was aimed at.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg. View Post
    Would this make any sense? First CBS ends Top 40 programming on 95.7. Then it waits a while and starts Top 40 programming on 96.5? If that was the goal, why not just put Adult Hits on 96.5 and re-focus 95.7 as AMP Radio or whatever? Would CBS send KKHH's listeners off to other stations, hoping to get them back some time later on KHMX? Maybe some of the KKHH staff will stay employed on KHMX, but I would guess they'd still be doing Hot AC, aimed at 30+ year old women, not the 18-34 demo that KKHH was aimed at.
    No better way to draw attention than to flip 2 stations. The average listener has no idea KKHH & KHMX are co-owned.

For Grins & giggles and wishful thinking, perhaps KGLK's (107.5) sister station, KHPT (106.9) should flip
    to an Oldies format and 101 KLOL should return to Classic AOR Rock......just sayin'!! An Oldies format
    would sell regardless what the "all-knowing" Madison Avenue egg heads say......

Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
    An Oldies format would sell regardless what the "all-knowing" Madison Avenue egg heads say......
    You're right....it would sell to info-mercials about retirement plans, reverse mortgages, erectile dysfunction, and colon cleansers. Lots of money there. But the listeners would complain about the quality and length of the commercials. And they'd complain about the repetition of the music.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    You're right....it would sell to info-mercials about retirement plans, reverse mortgages, erectile dysfunction, and colon cleansers. Lots of money there. But the listeners would complain about the quality and length of the commercials. And they'd complain about the repetition of the music.
    Those sorts of ads were basically what WDRC-FM Hartford was down to in its final year -- a year, ironically, when it topped the "beauty pageant" numbers in a quarterly book for the first time in memory. Now it's a '70s-early '90s classic rocker with less than half the 12+ number, trailing even the NPR news/talker in some books, but carries plenty of big-league ads, including national accounts and a bunch of car dealerships. It really is all about the kind of listeners you have, not the sheer numbers.

About the "repetition of the music," just stay away from that evil "short-list or safe-list playlist."
    Now, listeners are smart on that "short-list playlist." That is why I hear them say it is a "tune-out"
    factor. Pick any time of day, and COMA will play that exact song "always and forever." Oy Vey!
    I have read where the youth (20 to 30-somethings) are beginning to love Easy Listening, even!

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
    For Grins & giggles and wishful thinking, perhaps KGLK's (107.5) sister station, KHPT (106.9) should flip
    to an Oldies format and 101 KLOL should return to Classic AOR Rock......just sayin'!! An Oldies format
    would sell regardless what the "all-knowing" Madison Avenue egg heads say......
    Oldies, defined as 60's based pop / Top 40 hits with perhaps a smattering of early 70's and some 50's, appeals to an audience base that is mostly in its 60's or older. There is no ad revenue available against that audience, particularly in Top 10 markets where much of the business is transactional.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast