Any Word on a New Alternative Format?

Thread: Any Word on a New Alternative Format?

Hybrid View

Any Word on a New Alternative Format?

When 94-5 The Edge flipped in the early 2000s, how long did it take for 102-1 to come along and pick up the moniker?

94.5 and 102.1 essentially just swapped formats with 94.5 directing listeners to 102.1 after 94.5 was sold to Radio One. 102.1 was running Magic or Jammin or something like that, that format basically went to 94.5. (Kind of)

It's extremely unlikely for anyone in Dallas to pickup the format now, its dead here and dying nearly everywhere else. That being said, maybe one of our many crap-tastic low performance rimshot FM stations could grab it if they wanted.
    Last edited by LibertyNT; 12-31-2016 at 10:49 AM.

It's still going strong in Houston.

I don't think alternative is dead at all. In fact, some markets who have launched an alternative format recently has never had this kind of format before (i.e. San Antonio and Corpus Christi to name a few). In some cases, some markets have two alternative formats (i.e Salt Lake City, Los Angeles, Kansas City, Atlanta). Dallas has been known to have a strong alternative audience, which is why the "Edge" name was so well-known and why KXT was station of the year this year.

If there was a station that should pick up the alternative format, I believe it should be KLIF-FM. Cumulus has some pretty decent alternative stations and 93.3 is more of a dead "Kiss FM" clone with 106.1 and 102.9 dominating and 103.7 not too far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rimshot View Post
    It's still going strong in Houston.
    No pun intended, but there is no real "alternative" for 94.5 The Buzz in Houston. You can either go with the Classic Rock station, or you tolerate various forms of female-targeted CHR/AC. But the Buzz pretty much has the rock market to itself.

I could see 93.3 running with it, wouldn't be the first time and now with the competition gone they might actually stand a chance.
    For awhile the it seemed as if the Alternative Rock format was dropping like flies across the nation, good to see that is no longer the case. Dallas has long been a rockers market, seeing the Edge fall makes me question the formats viability just a smidge.
    Are the other ARs running what the Edge was doing? How are their ratings and billing?

My biggest beef with most Alternative/Modern Rock formatted stations is the lack of Current/Recurrent focus. I think that is one thing that is killing the format. Don't get me wrong, there is new music in there, but it seems secondary to the gold tracks that most often appear.
    Radio station employee...<br />Amateur photographer...<br />Cat slave...<br />Sarcasm expert...<br />Annual USA visitor...

Quote Originally Posted by leethalweapon View Post
    My biggest beef with most Alternative/Modern Rock formatted stations is the lack of Current/Recurrent focus. I think that is one thing that is killing the format. Don't get me wrong, there is new music in there, but it seems secondary to the gold tracks that most often appear.
    Actually it's one of the things keeping the format alive, because most of the new bands simply don't have the level of stardom or name recognition that the older groups have. There seems to be a more narrowed focus among current groups to be more responsive to their smaller fan bases, rather than grow to be the size of a Pearl Jam or Smashing Pumpkins. To make a radio format work, you need a large number of consensus artists, and there aren't enough current groups with enough hits to fill a 24/7 station.

Maybe so, but how many (now) mainstream artist's actually got their start on the Alternative format before spreading their wings? I look at a station like WEQX in Albany (New York), very heavy on new artist's/music. It's interesting that a lot of artist's that are Alt staples get little or no airplay outside of specialty programs. I know, it's a business, but if you look at the make up of the audience, I would guess that this group is most accepting of new artists. Add to this, the current trend is very pop friendly, so there is huge potential for crossover of current crop of artists.
    Radio station employee...<br />Amateur photographer...<br />Cat slave...<br />Sarcasm expert...<br />Annual USA visitor...

I drove through Dallas/Arlington, and I listened to KXT, and yeah, it was a great listening experience. I'm happy.

I don't feel like DFW needs a new "Edge," "Buzz," or "Surge."