3 of the Top Local Sports Talkers - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 of the Top Local Sports Talkers

Quote Originally Posted by wn3 View Post
    That's mostly Toronto fans coming to Seattle to see their team.
    Toronto is nowhere near Seattle. I suggest looking at a map.

Quote Originally Posted by mimo View Post
    Toronto is nowhere near Seattle. I suggest looking at a map.
    But Toronto is near Windsor (in the same province) which is near Detroit - the location of the Seahawks opponent. Maybe it's you who needs the map.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    Up here, the only station I'd flip is, as has been discussed on this board before, 1090. The other two, 1380 and 850, don't really have that much coverage overlap.
    There you go again Bob, flipping things. AM stations have increasingly fewer options for a successful format. 1090 over the years has already covered the gamut. What do you suggest they flip to again, music? Left wing talk? Recent history has shown that either of those would be a 50,000 watt recipe for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Piotrowski View Post
    But Toronto is near Windsor (in the same province) which is near Detroit - the location of the Seahawks opponent. Maybe it's you who needs the map.
    I thought the original reference was to BASEBALL fans -- specifically Blue Jays fans from BC coming to Seattle when the Jays are in town to play the Mariners. The Jays, as Canada's only MLB team, have a national following. Windsor fans might follow the Lions, but Toronto is far enough away from Detroit to make the Lions a relative non-factor there. I'm not sure of the percentage of Toronto folks who follow the NFL at all. Their sports plates are pretty full, with the Jays in the summer, and the Leafs the rest of the year. Oh yeah, they've got NBA and CFL teams, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    There you go again Bob, flipping things. AM stations have increasingly fewer options for a successful format. 1090 over the years has already covered the gamut. What do you suggest they flip to again, music? Left wing talk? Recent history has shown that either of those would be a 50,000 watt recipe for failure.
    Valid point, Kelly. In both markets come to think of it, I can't really think of a format that would be suitable for any stations looking to drop sports. Especially in Portland though I wouldn't mind the numbers up here as well, I'd be interested in the billing numbers in proportion to the #1 station 6+. For example, KQMV bills 10% more than all the sports stations combined, or KKCW bills 20% more than all the sports stations combined in Portland. Based on recent discussions on this board, I'd guess that sports as a format bills higher than KQMV, but I'm not convinced of this in every market with 4 or 5 sports stations.

KQMV/KPLZ/KIRO-am billing was mentioned in the "Warm Flips to X-mas" thread. Depending how you look at the numbers 710 ESPN (KIRO AM) is either ahead or right behind KQMV in billing. If you added in KJR-am revenue it could very well be above KPLZ or KQMV.

I think we have a good selection of sports stations in the the Seattle area. 1090 is great for the national perspective on sports and the 710 and 950 are great for local sports with different deliveries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Piotrowski View Post
    Toronto is 5 to 6 hours one way from Detroit. Considering I live in the province (and have lived in Toronto)..I don't need a map. Toronto NFL fans are Bills fans...being only 90 minutes away from Buffalo. They don't get Detroit TV and are not likely to go to a Lions game unless they're going for the weekend. As CTListener points out..the Blue Jays are the national team and have die hard fans all over the country. Those fans going to games in Seattle live in Victoria and Vancouver. Ontario sports fans are very regional...and yes, we do follow the NFL up here very closely.

Quote Originally Posted by mimo View Post
    Toronto NFL fans are Bills fans...being only 90 minutes away from Buffalo. They don't get Detroit TV and are not likely to go to a Lions game unless they're going for the weekend.
    A day trip to Buffalo or a weekend in Detroit? Tough choice! You know, I'd be thinking "staycation."

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    My issue with sports talk is that in some markets it's done so much that it's overkill. In Portland for example, KKCW pulls nearly triple the share as all the sports stations combined. Is there really that much money in sports talk to justify 4 sports stations in a market? I'd be interested in the proportion of KKCW's billing to the sports stations combined. Up here, the only station I'd flip is, as has been discussed on this board before, 1090. The other two, 1380 and 850, don't really have that much coverage overlap.
    From what I understand -- the experts here can chip in if they want -- sports talk does well even with lower than average ratings because it's one of the few formats that caters to men. The other format targeted mainly towards men being rock.

FWIW, the Buffalo Bills did play one home game a year for like five years from roughly 2009 through 2014 in Toronto. The death of owner Ralph Wilson and the spat between potential new owners (including a group that wanted to move the team to Toronto, headed by Jon Bon Jovi of all people) ended that little experiment. The cities are about 1.5 hours apart by car if memory serves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast