3 of the Top Local Sports Talkers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: 3 of the Top Local Sports Talkers

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lynnwood, WA
    Posts
    71

    3 of the Top Local Sports Talkers

    Radio Ink put out their annual list of Top Local Sports Talkers--

    16. Mitch Levy
    22. Brock & Salk
    25. Dave "Softy" Mahler

    https://radioink.com/2016/12/29/top-...lkers-america/

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    5,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddybob View Post
    Radio Ink put out their annual list of Top Local Sports Talkers--

    16. Mitch Levy
    22. Brock & Salk
    25. Dave "Softy" Mahler

    https://radioink.com/2016/12/29/top-...lkers-america/
    Coming from a non-sports junkie perspective, I've never understood how sports talk does so well. Because to me, on any given sports station on any average show, it's always guys talking about other guys playing with their balls.
    Awww, you're an "alpha male". Isn't that cute...

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Shoreline, WA / Northern VA
    Posts
    1,356
    I've been amazed at how Seattle has "matured" as a sports market.

    Remember, it was about 20 years ago the Mariners nearly bankrupted Emmis Broadcasting and a new owner thought a dome in Tampa Bay was a better place to play ball than a dome in Seattle. The Seahawks were actually headquartered in L.A., and the Sonics were in the beginning stages of grumbling about the unrenovated Key Arena and moving to some hillbilly town in a flyover state...or down to Tacoma.

    Seattle was dangerously close to losing all 3 of its professional sports teams within a 3 year timeframe.

    On top of this, while sports talk radio began to flourish in other sports markets, Seattle seemed to not get that memo. Sports talk never rated well here until this decade.

    It is still, IMHO, the largest market that has a high number of people who just aren't interested in any professional sports. However it seems the ones who are sports fans here tend to be knowledgeable, respectful of other teams, and tend to be fans of the Seattle teams.

    Both teams have the added benefit of being the "default" team for Vancouverites who follow sports as well (MLB especially...try to count the number of B.C. Plates you see on I5 the next time Toronto plays at Safeco)

    That being said, perhaps the sports talkers aren't anything special here in Seattle. Perhaps having fans in a large geographically dispersed sports market who are fascinated by the sport and contribute semi-intelligently to on-air discussions help make it easier for hosts to put on a decent on-air product.

    Radio-X

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio-X View Post
    Sports talk never rated well here until this decade.
    None of the popular sports talk stations get high 12+ ratings, but are money makers none the less. Remember, it's all about reaching the sought after demographic. Back when KJR started gaining momentum as the only sports talk station, it did very well where it counts-revenue. 18-35M mean when agencies who represent beer and auto advertisers, the first place they go is sports talk stations.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    Coming from a non-sports junkie perspective, I've never understood how sports talk does so well. Because to me, on any given sports station on any average show, it's always guys talking about other guys playing with their balls.
    I know you meant it as a joke, but one reason for sports talk's appeal is that it has virtually nothing to do with politics. Not everybody wants to hear news 24/7 (flushed with politics lately) or the same hits thrashed out 24/7 or the same old recurrents or gold that you've heard a million times over.

    Like you, I'm a non-sports junkie, but I tune in from time to time because sometimes it's entertaining and an easy way to keep track of what's happening nationally in football or baseball without the pop-up spam or banner ad spam.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by boombox4 View Post
    I know you meant it as a joke, but one reason for sports talk's appeal is that it has virtually nothing to do with politics. Not everybody wants to hear news 24/7 (flushed with politics lately) or the same hits thrashed out 24/7 or the same old recurrents or gold that you've heard a million times over.

    Like you, I'm a non-sports junkie, but I tune in from time to time because sometimes it's entertaining and an easy way to keep track of what's happening nationally in football or baseball without the pop-up spam or banner ad spam.
    I hear this. Some are inherently "into" sports, and that probably drives the numbers. But, you bring up a good point...to be somewhat up to speed with sports is important if trying to build relationships for business. It may not be right, but the guy's club (and gals too) in business today requires atleast some knowledge of sports. You don't have to like or enjoy it, but you need to know it.

    So what is next? "we do not discriminate against those who have no sports knowledge"...of course that is crazy, but you would be surprised how rampant this is.
    Last edited by seatownmedia; 01-02-2017 at 07:33 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by seatownmedia View Post
    I hear this. Some are inherently "into" sports, and that probably drives the numbers. But, you bring up a good point...to be somewhat up to speed with sports is important if trying to build relationships for business. It may not be right, but the guy's club (and gals too) in business today requires atleast some knowledge of sports. You don't have to like or enjoy it, but you need to know it.

    So what is next? "we do not discriminate against those who have no sports knowledge"...of course that is crazy, but you would be surprised how rampant this is.
    Exactly... Your point about sports knowledge being helpful in business relationships and the like, it's spot on. I used to read the sports page back when I loathed sports (a long time ago) because it gave and ability to talk with others about the local and national scenes without sounding like a complete idiot.

    And as far as sports talk goes, some of the guys on sports radio are quite good at radio. Ben Maller's show is good, for example, and Jim Rome is entertaining a lot of the time. I don't get a chance to hear the local shows that much (at work), but the few times I've heard them they sound O.K.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio-X View Post
    Both teams have the added benefit of being the "default" team for Vancouverites who follow sports as well (MLB especially...try to count the number of B.C. Plates you see on I5 the next time Toronto plays at Safeco)
    That's mostly Toronto fans coming to Seattle to see their team.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Edmonds, Washington
    Posts
    2,079
    My issue with sports talk is that in some markets it's done so much that it's overkill. In Portland for example, KKCW pulls nearly triple the share as all the sports stations combined. Is there really that much money in sports talk to justify 4 sports stations in a market? I'd be interested in the proportion of KKCW's billing to the sports stations combined. Up here, the only station I'd flip is, as has been discussed on this board before, 1090. The other two, 1380 and 850, don't really have that much coverage overlap.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by wn3 View Post
    That's mostly Toronto fans coming to Seattle to see their team.
    Very true. But they mostly live in Vancouver, thus the "Beautiful BC" plates.
    Last edited by seatownmedia; 01-05-2017 at 07:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us