• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Live now on WBEN

You can read about it tomorrow in the rag. NPR is probably discussing global warming on Jupiter. And you can hear the truth and big news first hand on WBEN. I wonder if Bauerle shortened his vacation to make this happen.

Must be a ghost town on Corporate Parkway as they let you log on to the Entercom network. And I hope Bauerle does shorten his vacation so he can burp on the air again.

You can read about it tomorrow in the rag. NPR is probably discussing global warming on Jupiter. And you can hear the truth and big news first hand on WBEN. I wonder if Bauerle shortened his vacation to make this happen.

Beach and his producer are capable people. Why would Bauerle be needed to set anything up? Paladino is in full damage control mode.

Paladino wouldn't appear on WBFO simply because they would balance the coverage by having an anti-Paladino guest to present the other side of his "argument". He doesn't want opposition. He wants a place to rant and spin - which is WBEN's stock in trade these days. WBEN isn't interested fairness or presenting ALL the facts. They're interested in feeding their right-wing audience's paranoia.

Paladino wouldn't appear on WBFO simply because they would balance the coverage by having an anti-Paladino guest

Paladino wouldn't appear on WBFO because they don't have a local talk show, and they aren't a local talk station. This comparison to WBEN is apples and oranges.

They'd do a short interview with him, and it would be used in local segments of Morning Edition. But he wouldn't appear with a local talk host because it's not what they do.

That is a load of dung.

Conservative news talk stations don't have a mission to be "fair and balanced". Their mission is to entertain a specific group of listeners with talk slanted to their perspective.

Thanks for clarifying.
The mission of WBEN is to serve up dung to narrow
minded bigots.

Buffalo has serious issues if they allow a degenerate like
Paladino to remain on a school board...

Thanks for clarifying.
The mission of WBEN is to serve up dung to narrow
minded bigots.

And, to the people who listen to that station, you are the "narrow minded bigot". Each "side" sees the other team as being wrong.

That is a load of dung.

Conservative news talk stations don't have a mission to be "fair and balanced". Their mission is to entertain a specific group of listeners with talk slanted to their perspective.

If you look at Darryl Parks' blog, he puts forth much the same argument you are. He also adds that they're BORING; they seem to have forgotten they're in the entertainment business.

If you look at Darryl Parks' blog, he puts forth much the same argument you are. He also adds that they're BORING; they seem to have forgotten they're in the entertainment business.

Except to the people who are interested. Look, to a lot of people, Justin Bieber is boring and not talented. Except to the millions who love him. I can give you a list of ten things that will attract a crowd, and the same ten things will revolt the same number of people. That's popular culture in the 21st century. When Darryl Parks was on the inside, he was responsible for a lot of what people hear on the radio. Now that he's on the outside, it's easy to be critical. And there's an audience for either side. And neither is right or wrong. It's just whoever you want to believe.

Beach and his producer are capable people. Why would Bauerle be needed to set anything up? Paladino is in full damage control mode.

Paladino wouldn't appear on WBFO simply because they would balance the coverage by having an anti-Paladino guest to present the other side of his "argument". He doesn't want opposition. He wants a place to rant and spin - which is WBEN's stock in trade these days. WBEN isn't interested fairness or presenting ALL the facts. They're interested in feeding their right-wing audience's paranoia.

Caputo in for Beach

This is a holiday week so Beach is on vacation, Bauerle is on vacation.

Sure, Caputo could do it. Beach, not so sure. First of all, Beach doesn't like Rus Thompson. Rus and Carl are best friends. Second, I am sure Bauerle gets many more listeners than Beach.

Nice try, but wrong. People who spew or condone racist remarks
are bigots...

The problem is that there are folks at the two extremes who define "racist" differently.

And example is one group who considers that anyone who wants greater control of immigration is, de facto, a racist. On the other side are those who consider immigration controls to be part of restoring the rule of law.

Calling people who hold different points of view bigots or racists has become so common that, like many swear words, it now has little or no impact and is a vacant and vacuous argument.

Sure, Caputo could do it. Beach, not so sure. First of all, Beach doesn't like Rus Thompson. Rus and Carl are best friends. Second, I am sure Bauerle gets many more listeners than Beach.

Your post some time back about your connection to local media was correct. You really don't know much about radio in Buffalo.

The problem is that there are folks at the two extremes who define "racist" differently.

And example is one group who considers that anyone who wants greater control of immigration is, de facto, a racist. On the other side are those who consider immigration controls to be part of restoring the rule of law.

Calling people who hold different points of view bigots or racists has become so common that, like many swear words, it now has little or no impact and is a vacant and vacuous argument.

On the right, this type behavior has become commonplace. Not so on the left.

On the right, this type behavior has become commonplace. Not so on the left.

I'd invite you to see how conservative (not alt-right extremists) are publicly vilified in places like coastal California. Folks I know who are of that persuasion are afraid to say that they are not progressives for fear of losing their jobs, ostracism among co-workers, etc

Saying "this type of behavior has become commonplace" fits both extremes, and is a dreadful reflection of herd mentality either way.

I'd invite you to see how conservative (not alt-right extremists) are publicly vilified in places like coastal California. Folks I know who are of that persuasion are afraid to say that they are not progressives for fear of losing their jobs, ostracism among co-workers, etc. Saying "this type of behavior has become commonplace" fits both extremes, and is a dreadful reflection of herd mentality either way.
it works the same-but-opposite way in North Carolina, where friends tell me they have to say they're Southern Baptist (they're Episcopalian) or Republican to stay employed and get along. Pretty sad state of affairs these days.

it works the same-but-opposite way in North Carolina, where friends tell me they have to say they're Southern Baptist (they're Episcopalian) or Republican to stay employed and get along. Pretty sad state of affairs these days.

I sincerely believe that the ramping up to where we are now really got going in the 90's with the explosion of hyper-partisan talkradio, led by Limbaugh, and further fostered by all his clones, as well as with the birth of Fox news during that same time-frame.

More than ever before it made politics a football game where "your" side is always right, no matter what. Compromise? Never heard of it. If a politician dare speak out with the truth that happens to go against the demagogues dogma, scare them into submission with the threat of being "primaried". Maybe even have them on your show to apologize and kiss your ring for their truthy indiscretion.

The advent of the internet also fueled the parallel universe of misinformation where few checks and balances were in place to guarantee any level of integrity.

And nothing poured gas on the fire more than the election of our first black President.

The confluence of all these things has led us here, where people of all ilks gather in their own corners, creating and believing their own "facts", truth be damned. Our information institutions are still THE most trustworthy, but there's a whole faction of voters that now use confirmation bias as their rule of thumb.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom