• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Disappointed!

blackgold

Star Participant
I'm very disappointed with the way Boston radio has treated Christmas music in the 21st. Century. WBZ mostly had regular programming; the only thing that they had for Christmas was their mediocre version of "A Christmas Carol." WZLX, WJMN, WBVF and Kiss 108 played "Nothing for Christmas." Only 101.7 the Bull and Magic 106.7 had any Christmas music. I can't WJIB 740 after sunset, and WBOS were doing their own thing. I only listened to a little of Oedipus' Christmas special, but he did an admirable job. Everyone else told Christmas to stick it(except for WHRB, of course).

WBVF??

Here in Worcester County, WSRS had been all Christmas since mid November. WXLO went all Christmas on Christmas Eve as they usually do. 100FM The Pike popped in a couple of Christmas tunes here and there but stayed with their regular format otherwise, thank God. I don't know if WXLO/Pike sister station WORC-FM (Nash Icon country format) did anything or not.

Hard to believe WZLX didn't slip in a spin or two of "Step Into Christmas," "Father Christmas," "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)," or "Do They Know It's Christmas" at some point on Saturday and/or Sunday. They all fit the format.

WZLX absolutely did play several Christmas songs over the past few weeks... the first time they've done that in years. WBMX also sprinkled in several Christmas songs in their playlist this year.

Going around the dial I feel like I heard more Christmas music than ever before, HOW MUCH DOES ONE MARKET NEED!?!

WZLX absolutely did play several Christmas songs over the past few weeks... the first time they've done that in years.

Surprised they stopped doing that for even one year. I can always count on hearing Springsteen's "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" and several others on WPLR New Haven and WAQY Springfield. When classic rock artists who are at the core of the format have Christmas songs that rock as part of their catalog, playing those songs around Christmas seems a no-brainer for a classic rock station. Not go all-Christmas (aren't enough songs that fit to do that), not break format and play Brenda Lee or Nat King Cole, just play rock superstars having some seasonal fun.

I also heard WXRV (which targets Greater Boston), WSNE (whose protected contour covers Boston and immediate suburbs), and WCTK (which appears in the ratings) for other Eastern MA stations, plus 105.1 (RI), 95.7 (NH), and 99.9/93.5 (Cape Cod) playing constant Xmas hits on the 24th and 25th, apart from syndicated programming. 92.3/95.5 (RI) and Kiss 108 both sprinkled in some holiday songs throughout the season. Add to that 94.9 WHOM which can be heard in parts of NE MA, and 94.9 WZMR LPFM East Boston playing a rather diverse mix of Christmas songs (believe it or not, I can hear the station in Newton like a semi local). And on the AM side 740 and 680 played some Christmas songs, and the sports station used Xmas music as bumper music.

Well. Looks like Christmas music is still alive and well in Boston. Thanks. I did listen to a bit of the 740 and 680 Christmas music and I rather liked it.

I'm very disappointed with the way Boston radio has treated Christmas music in the 21st. Century. WBZ mostly had regular programming; the only thing that they had for Christmas was their mediocre version of "A Christmas Carol." WZLX, WJMN, WBVF and Kiss 108 played "Nothing for Christmas." Only 101.7 the Bull and Magic 106.7 had any Christmas music. I can't WJIB 740 after sunset, and WBOS were doing their own thing. I only listened to a little of Oedipus' Christmas special, but he did an admirable job. Everyone else told Christmas to stick it(except for WHRB, of course).

Herr Trump will fix that in 2017. He will order that Christmas music be played 25/7 on all terrestrial radio stations across the country starting November 1,2017.....' And you wil like it. We have ways to make you like Christmas music mine friend....

I'm just glad that "The Cove" 103.3 HD3 went back to regular programming on Jan. 2 and not in March like a few years ago. Yeah I know...I know... I'm the only one who listens to it. I'm old.

Herr Trump will fix that in 2017. He will order that Christmas music be played 25/7 on all terrestrial radio stations across the country starting November 1,2017.....' And you wil like it. We have ways to make you like Christmas music mine friend....

Yawn. It may be time to consider getting a life. Or not.

Regards,
TSB

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom