• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WKAF 97.7 to Urban AC

How many stations use the "O" word on the air? KOOL Radio the Oldies station in Springfield, Hartford, and Westerly use the "O" word on the air. Their 3 voice tracked DJs often refer to the station on-air as "KOOL OLDIES" and of course their website is KOOLOLDIESRADIO.NET They also say "Live from the Solid Gold Studios". They play 60s, 70s, and 80s music. They have a few specialty shows on the weekend as well. "Nothing but Old 45s" is a syndicated show hosted by retired Pittsfield broadcaster Larry Kratka (who did mornings on KOOL Radio from November 2015 until Martin Luther King Day 2016) that airs Sundays at 6AM. They also air Greatest Hits USA with Chuck Taylor Sundays at 2PM and Saturdays at 6AM. The other specialty show is "That Thing with Rich Appel, which airs Saturday afternoons at 2 and Sunday Mornings at 7. The neat thing about "That Thing" is the old commercials he plays.

They only stream the Westerly Market Station: http://tunein.com/radio/Kool-1180-990-s68957/

How many stations use the "O" word on the air? KOOL Radio the Oldies station in Springfield, Hartford, and Westerly use the "O" word on the air. Their 3 voice tracked DJs often refer to the station on-air as "KOOL OLDIES" and of course their website is KOOLOLDIESRADIO.NET They also say "Live from the Solid Gold Studios". They play 60s, 70s, and 80s music. They have a few specialty shows on the weekend as well. "Nothing but Old 45s" is a syndicated show hosted by retired Pittsfield broadcaster Larry Kratka (who did mornings on KOOL Radio from November 2015 until Martin Luther King Day 2016) that airs Sundays at 6AM. They also air Greatest Hits USA with Chuck Taylor Sundays at 2PM and Saturdays at 6AM. The other specialty show is "That Thing with Rich Appel, which airs Saturday afternoons at 2 and Sunday Mornings at 7. The neat thing about "That Thing" is the old commercials he plays.

They only stream the Westerly Market Station: http://tunein.com/radio/Kool-1180-990-s68957/

WWOD/WFYX, straddling the VT/NH border in the Hanover area, calls itself Kool 93.9/96.3, but the "about us" section of the website contains this: "WWOD/WFYX is a radio station located in West Lebanon, NH, in the the United States. The station broadcasts on 93.9 (Woodstock, VT), 96.3 (Walpole, NH), and is popularly known as KOOL FM. The station is owned by Great Eastern Radio and offers an oldies format, playing the greatest hits of the 60’s and 70’s." I have family up that way and listen to the station when I visit, but I can't recall "oldies" being said on air. And yes, you read it right: This is a station that hasn't moved into the '80s yet, and several pre-British Invasion tracks, including some from the late '50s, are still on the playlist.

The WODS "Greatest Hits" playlist from just before the main 103.3 channel flipped to "Amp", with all those pop/disco/R&B hits mixed with the late '60s/'70s/'80s pop/rock hits that WROR plays, is still playing automated on the WODS HD2 channel.

The key word in my previous post was "heard." Don't think 103.3 HD2 has ever appeared in the ratings.

WAAF logo now says 97.7 HD2/ 107.3 Promos running saying something new coming to 97.7, listen online or HD.Domain names and Twitter handles suggest "Star 97.7"

Last edited:
???????

I am still hearing WAAF on 97.7.
The new guys are doing their show and Crazy Train is playing now.

About 4x per hr there are announcements of something new coming soon to 97.7 with instructions to go to 107.3, 93.7 HD3 or 97.7 HD2

The audio of WAAF on the 97.7 WKAF HD2 subchannel is only one channel of the stereo mix panned to mono! Only half the music is coming through on the HD2 channel. I just heard "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin missing some of the vocals and guitars on the 97.7 HD2. It's still in full stereo with both channels on the 97.7 and 107.3 analog/HD1 channels.

I have to admit I haven't listened to WAAF in quite some time (not my cup of tea) but "Crazy Train" and "Whole Lotta Love"? When did they switch their format to classic rock? :)

It looks like the "other" website is reporting that more domains have cropped up for 97.7. All are pointing to Urban AC as BRW has hinted.

Maybe within the hour.
Minutes after reading about MyPillow being a scam as designated by Better Business Bureau I hear an ad for them on WAAF.
Use that special code, folks...

Entercom press release In a move to provide the only full-signal, Urban radio format to America’s 10th largest market, Entercom Communications today announced the debut of The New 97.7, Boston’s #1 For R&B. Since 2006, the frequency had been simulcast with the company’s heritage rock station, WAAF 107.3FM, but delivered little appreciable audience beyond the primary station’s booming signal. The present WKAF call letters will remain for The New 97.7 which ends its simulcast with WAAF today at 11:00AM.

Short intro at 10:50 am then first song Cool It Now, New Edition

http://raccoonradio.freehostia.com/Air/WKAFFlip.mp3 Audio of WKAF flip minutes ago WKAF Brockton MA Boston's #1 for R&B The New 977

Last edited:
Great, just what Boston needs more hood music and hood acting personalities to go with the already churban overflow of 94.5 and 96.9... great job Entercom. Let me grab my homies for this show know what I'm sayin' dawg, we here Bawston. 😒

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom