• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WKAF 97.7 to Urban AC

Seems kind of boring to me.

I don't think 94.5 has much to worry about from this change.

This might prevent 106.7 from ever getting to #1 again without playing Christmas music.

We dedicate this thread to Laurojrm - somewhere he's smiling as his favorite format finally arrives in Boston.

I always figured Entercom would approach the Urban format in some sort of way.

It'll be interesting to see which stations 97.7 will affect. It's driven by beats, but sounds nothing close to it's Rhythmic competitors, while also sounding incredibly left-field when compared to other "adult-targeted" stations in Boston.

I know those avid Prince fan callers from that Hot 96.9 marathon of him would immediately change to this if they knew about it.

I applaud Entercom for taking the risk. Let's see if it pays off.

I was actually referring to the brand name. Like how WBQT is HOT 96.9, WXKS is KISS 108, WODS is AMP, etc, etc, etc.

They will probably stay with 97.7 RnB. They have other Urban AC stations in their cluster with the same brand 96.3 RnB in Austin Texas and 95.7 RnB in Norfolk Virginia.

Although in San Francisco they use the iconic call letters KBLX. 102.9 KBLX.

Why...they only use the legal ID at the top of the hour.

Besides, in the PPM world, unless the call sign becomes the brand name, call signs are irrelevant for ratings purposes. Remember that AMP still uses the call sign WODS, which was based on the word "oldies."

I am quite sour on this station.
Anyone listening ?
Couldn't listen much it was so awful. Do they play any currents ?
Will this fail like The Harbor ?

What's to be sour about? It is not for everyone but to this ear they have picked a viable and underserved audience target and are focused on it. The station is definitely not targeted to me, but it is definitely getting a buzz already.

I think that NOT playing many currents is what will make 97.7 distinct from trying to compete with WBQT, WJMN, etc... It's an adult urban station, not aimed at kids, playing R&B hits from the past four decades or so. Why should it compete with more powerful signals for the current R&B hits?

The REAL question, now: if this station is to be advertiser-supported, will they sell enough time, at a rate where they can turn a profit?
This remains to be seen. Time will tell...

The REAL question, now: if this station is to be advertiser-supported, will they sell enough time, at a rate where they can turn a profit?
This remains to be seen. Time will tell...

According to their Facebook, there is a photo of a new billboard for the station. Not sure of it's whereabouts though.

I think 97.7 RnB would be smart is it tweaked itself to sound more like KTWV in Los Angeles. Very listenable station.

I think 97.7 RnB would be smart is it tweaked itself to sound more like KTWV in Los Angeles. Very listenable station.

KTWV was a "Smooth Jazz"s station....and has morphed into "Smooth AC"...and done surprisingly well!

Who woulda' thunk it?

Radio One had this frequency and gave up on it. Do you think they'll be interested in it again, or have they given up on Boston?

97.7 could well be dealt, but on Monday a new morning show debuts with KJ and Kesha.Station debuted Jan 5, Monday is Feb 6..not sure when the ads begin.Ratings period due?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom