• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Matt Cord to co-host BEN-FM morning show in the new year

Matt went on Pierre Robert's show this morning to announce the news that he'll be co-hosting a new BEN morning show with Kristen Herrmann starting Jan 3rd. Matt noted that the BEN-FM studio is down the hall from the WMMR studios and that it was in fact a WMMR studio when he previously did mornings at WMMR. Matt is currently the night time DJ at WMMR and did afternoons at Y-100 where he gave me $100 when I was the correct caller to qualify for a Y-100 Beetle before Radio One blew up the station. Before Y-100 he was also at WMMR.

do you think this means they will focus on 90s alt rock? that would be awesome. i do not believe radio 104.5 focus' on this. I think there is an audience for this kind of music. the 90s are now back. i still think 80s are a bigger focus' but the 90s are popular again and could focus' on a younger audience then the 80s based stations.

Cord was born and raised Alternative, it's in his blood, so I think BEN will evolve into a more realistic Alternative to watered down RFF. They wouldn't hurt sisters Active MMR or Classic MGK it would be small overlap at best,

You guys don't really think that BEN fired Marilyn and brought on Matt because they're planning on shifting direction musically, do you? I suppose it's possible that they'll listen to his ideas (as likely as it is that they wont). But this change, like everything else in radio, is budgetary.

Also...why exactly would they add Alt Rock? I understand it wouldn't hurt their sisters but...is BEN actually hurting the sisters now?

:confused:

I don't know if it's the time I listened today but it seemed I heard more Aternative 80/90's tunes Pistols, Pumpkins, Tonic, Verve, 3 Doors Down, Oasis, Flys, GooGoos any many more. Maybe its just a coincidence or are they warming up the chair for Matt???

I don't know if it's the time I listened today but it seemed I heard more Aternative 80/90's tunes Pistols, Pumpkins, Tonic, Verve, 3 Doors Down, Oasis, Flys, GooGoos any many more. Maybe its just a coincidence or are they warming up the chair for Matt???

Didn't see Sex Pistols in the playlist today. The rest are on par for the angle Ben FM has been taking for a while now.

They were on around the five o'clock hour right after the Ramones, God save the Queen..but I did hear Michael Jackson and Billy Joel later on, so that kinda kills the All Alternative theory lol

Last edited:
They were on around the five o'clock hour right after the Ramones, God save the Queen..but I did hear Michael Jackson and Billy Joel later on, so that kinda kills the All Alternative theory lol

Nothing on the Ben FM website's playlist that shows either God Save the Queen or Sex Pistols played. IF they were played in the 5 o'clock hour, it was not out of the main automation computer. But looking at the playlist and any time gaps (which were most likely for stopsets), they didn't play.

Nothing on the Ben FM website's playlist that shows either God Save the Queen or Sex Pistols played. IF they were played in the 5 o'clock hour, it was not out of the main automation computer. But looking at the playlist and any time gaps (which were most likely for stopsets), they didn't play.

I looked at BDS from December 27 to Jan 2 and neither artist shows as having been played. Amd BDS is based on over the air detection.

Doesn't matter what any service states it was played, if you dispute my statement call the station or better yet check with Matt I am sure he would know if it was played...

Doesn't matter what any service states it was played, if you dispute my statement call the station or better yet check with Matt I am sure he would know if it was played...

I trust the sources of information both David and I presented, but thanks.

That being said, depending on the market need, Adult Hits stations usually fill a classic hits hole or a classic rock hole (or serve as a second-ish station of either of those formats.) In Philly, Beasley doesn't want Ben to sabotage sister station WMGK, so it doesn't go heavy on Classic Rock. WOGL is a powerful Classic Hits station, so no need to battle them for an aging demographic. So they found their hole, mostly 80s and 90s, but pulling a little more and morefrom the Alternative side than most Adult Hits stations to capture those in the demographic who grew up in-market listening to WDRE and Y100. While it doesn't seem to have set the ratings on fire, it doesn't seem to have hurt them either.

But bringing Matt over from MMR to Ben most likely won't have an effect on the playlist. His job is to play the music, not to pick it, unless they give him a special feature here or there

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom