• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

X 103.9 coming back?

Neel

Leading Participant
This was posted on https://www.facebook.com/x1039 yesterday:

"We know that you miss X1039, and that when it went away one year ago it left a huge void for alternative rock lovers.
Well that void is about to be filled!
Stay tuned for more details from X1039!
#AltRockisnotdead
#X1039"

And it says "something's coming" all over their page.

Anyone know how their numbers compare to when they were KCXX vs. Hot103.9?
Similar numbers, or that much worse that they are thinking of switching back? I mean they weren't great as X 1039 either (although personally I liked the station and I think their signal had some to do with the low ratings)

They have averaged between a 1.3 and 1.7 share for radio audience overall, not sure about billing. It depends on what audience the Hot AC crowd was aimed at.
When it was X103.9. Its share was a miserable 0.9 share the final 3 months it was in the alternative rock format.
It was losing a lot of money. The problem is the signal reach which is very limited and only reaches 50 percent of the Riverside-San Bernardino audience, the rest of the signal beams into the victor valley. The way the signal reaches the whole IE. It makes it hard to find a sizable audience because of the limited reach of the signal. And they cant move the antenna or increase power due to the LA station on 103.9 and the palm springs station on 103.9. Back in 1990 when it was KBON it was mentioned as an oldies format they averaged a 3.5 share which tells me they have to go in a direction that would be mass appeal. There really isnt a void they can go after that would attract advertisers to be the point of being profitable.

All that HOT 103.9 has done is take away ratings points from sister station, KATY the Mix, even though KATY is more powerful.

Well, it seems like they are coming back, as an app. Don't know how that's going to work out but I guess it's the same people that did X 103.9 that are making the app.

They claim that Hot 103.9 has the highest ratings ever for the 103.9 signal (per their Facebook blog) so they are satisfied with Hot but want to bring back the X as an app.

Well, it seems like they are coming back, as an app. Don't know how that's going to work out but I guess it's the same people that did X 103.9 that are making the app.

They claim that Hot 103.9 has the highest ratings ever for the 103.9 signal (per their Facebook blog) so they are satisfied with Hot but want to bring back the X as an app.

Wrong!

Huff said:
07-08-2016 08:16 PM
Quote Originally Posted by 30james View Post
http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb379

When it was KBON in the late 80's what were the ratings for them? Any better, when they played Oldies.?
KBON never did better than a 1.9 (Winter 1990)
The highest share ever for the 103.9 facility was a 4.4 in Winter 2002. That was a bit of a fluke though, as the second highest share ever reached was a 3.2. Since the move to PPM, 103.9 has never done better than a 2.9

Yeah, I though I read before someone saying that 103.9 has had higher ratings in the past. But here is what was posted:

"As most of you know, December 22nd is the date my life radically changed. It wasn’t life or death or anything, but it was a pretty big deal. The Alternative Rock radio station I had worked at for 20 years was changing formats and going away. I was understandably in shock, and just thankful to still have a job. I was being asked to program a brand new station from scratch, with a format I was absolutely clueless about, to an audience that didn’t know we were even there. For some reason our owners believed in me, and thought that I was the guy for the job. So I got to work and learned the music and artists, the listeners, and what they liked. We put together what we thought was the best Adult Top 40 station we could come up with, and I crossed my fingers. Well it appears as if our hard work this year has really paid off, as Hot 1039 currently has 80,000+ daily listeners, and 300,000+ monthly listeners, both new records for the 103.9 frequency. And the station continues to grow.
I’m very proud of what we’ve accomplished here, and the team we’ve created." (from John DeSantis facebook page)

and also....

"Well, here’s the news you’ve been patiently waiting for.
As you know, on December 22nd, 2015 the Alternative Rock on X1039 changed to Adult Top 40 as Hot 1039. The change was purely a business decision, and a very difficult one for ownership. But it has turned out to be the correct move, as the new station is currently experiencing a record number of listeners, and it continues to grow daily.
Unfortunately the change left a Grand Canyon-sized musical void, and a lot of you without a station to listen to. So we’ve been working hard on bringing back the station and music you’ve missed, and are just about ready to launch X1039 THE APP! This will be a FREE download for both Apple and Android, and will be available very, very soon." (From X 103.9 Facebook page)

Last edited:
X10

They have averaged between a 1.3 and 1.7 share for radio audience overall, not sure about billing. It depends on what audience the Hot AC crowd was aimed at.
When it was X103.9. Its share was a miserable 0.9 share the final 3 months it was in the alternative rock format.
It was losing a lot of money. The problem is the signal reach which is very limited and only reaches 50 percent of the Riverside-San Bernardino audience, the rest of the signal beams into the victor valley. The way the signal reaches the whole IE. It makes it hard to find a sizable audience because of the limited reach of the signal. And they cant move the antenna or increase power due to the LA station on 103.9 and the palm springs station on 103.9. Back in 1990 when it was KBON it was mentioned as an oldies format they averaged a 3.5 share which tells me they have to go in a direction that would be mass appeal. There really isnt a void they can go after that would attract advertisers to be the point of being profitable.

One of the problems not only is their signal weak but KRCD stomps all over them in the IE. The station is listed as 4100 erp but I can sometimes hear it in Yucca Valley which is 140 miles away. How do they manage that?

One of the problems not only is their signal weak but KRCD stomps all over them in the IE. The station is listed as 4100 erp but I can sometimes hear it in Yucca Valley which is 140 miles away. How do they manage that?

Several of the Baldwin Hills stations can be heard there if there is no co-channel interference or an antenna is aimed towards LA. If you look at a topographical map, there is essentially a funnel to the Yucca Valley that has a minimal amount of terrain blockage which is overcome by deflection (the apparent ability of FM signals to do some limited "bending" over hilltops).

Well that explains why I also get KYSR so clearly. From my area they are coming from the same direction. No Mt. Wilson signals make it to my area. Or IE stations either with the exception of KOLA on a good day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom