• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

December PPMs

Link here: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb047

Takeaways?:
- WSB-AM hits a HUGE high (election)
- YAY steady increase (election)
- Star down .8? What's the story there?

Comments?

If I were Star 94-1, I would not be too concerned about a share decrease of .8. They've been trending up, and monthlies are sometimes fluky, i.e. Star's direct competitors stayed about the same. And of course those numbers don't reveal what happened in Star's target women demos.

If I were Star 94-1, I would not be too concerned about a share decrease of .8. They've been trending up, and monthlies are sometimes fluky, i.e. Star's direct competitors stayed about the same. And of course those numbers don't reveal what happened in Star's target women demos.

And December was the book where Nielson lost contact with nearly 9% of all its PPM devices, so the confidence level in the data is lower than normal.

Q100 has taken the lead for the last 3 months after Power was taking the lead for awhile before that. What's causing this swing?

Anyone else notice that Star is the only Atlanta station playing that dumb Train song, "Play That Song"?

They were at their holiday concert. Is it possible an airplay deal was worked out for that?

Ever tried Miami radio? Take Atlanta and make half the stations Spanish.

That linguistic and ethnic distinction does not make the market dreadful. It just makes it different.

Over half the Miami/Ft Lauderdale market is Hispanic.

And when speaking of FM, there are 21 commercial FMs licensed as "home" to the market. 6 are in Spanish.

Q100 has taken the lead for the last 3 months after Power was taking the lead for awhile before that. What's causing this swing?

Not just me but, several friends I have and also many FB posts have indicated that PK and Denise are just, not as like able as Scotty K, Bret and Riley were together. Something on the inside must have gone wrong that got Scotty out and now, Power's ratings have been falling ever since.

Musically, Q and Power are nearly identical. Now on that note, I'm certainly no expert but I am a huge geek when it comes to monitoring Top 40 radio trends and one thing I would say is that it (feels like).... (to me)... that TPTB at Power are somehow convinced that Q100 still leans HOT-AC. And that is simply not the case anymore. Power is STILL hanging on to songs like Adele's "Send My Love To Your New Lover" (over 50 times per week), and Meghan Trainor's "Like I'm going to Lose You" like crazy. While Q100 seems to be adding more rhythmic hits like DJ Khaled - "Do You Mind" and Bebe Rexha's "I Got You". Now, Power may play those latter songs as well but they're really only (restricted to overnight hours) where no one can hear them, while Q100 will easily play the rhythmic songs in the afternoons and evenings.

Who knows, maybe the tables have turned after all these years and Power is the one going after Star 94 more... while Q100 is sounding like the 'slightly hotter' Top 40. Again, all of this is just a feeling I have as to why Power is falling from where they were a year ago. But, their morning show is DEFINITELY one of the biggest reasons. Power sounds great overall. Jocks are top notch, liners and promos are def hotter and fresher than Q. Their mixshows are incredible... but I'm a huge EDM fan, anyway! Lol But just tweak the morning show, (somehow). And play some slightly more rhythmic songs, a little more often like most Clear Channel (iHeart) stations are known for. Again, I'm no expert...And Atlanta's a strange market I get that! Just my thoughts on RadioDoogie's comment.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. :)

Last edited:
I think Q100 is sounding more mainstream lately. They are avoiding a lot of those Hot AC crossovers like they used to play. I am surprised they didn't make 96.7/92.3 the Beat CHR Rhythmic. Star 94-1 is about as mainstream Hot AC as they get. It plays directly off the Hot AC chart. Very little interruption which seems to work well for them.

It was great when Susquehanna owned them. I could argue that Q100 was one of the better CHRs in the country at the time.

Seems to me since Jan Jeffries left Cumulus that Q has become a more well-rounded CHR station instead of the hot AC lean under his direction.

Atlanta could really use some shakeups. Radio's has gotten so dull and boring here, even the ratings are dull.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom