• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

P-TEK FM1000ES Problem Just developed ?

I have a PTEK FM1000ES and it was working fine until today. It came on and transmits about 3 watts no matter what. Voltage is good 45 volts but amperage is down to about 2.5 amps everything comes on but output is so low but clear and good. The output seems to measure good and not shorted. I am suspecting the control module or exciter module but not sure . Has anyone had this experience with one of these ? Thanks

My calculator says 45V * 2.5A = 112W.

Where's the other 109W going?

You probably should find an experienced contract engineer. I suspect you'll need equipment that the average hobbyist won't have, to identify the problem.

Good question, now whether it is power dissipating somewhere else I don't know but the output meter reads zero with zero reflected.

My calculator says 45V * 2.5A = 112W.

Where's the other 109W going?

You probably should find an experienced contract engineer. I suspect you'll need equipment that the average hobbyist won't have, to identify the problem.

Good question, now whether it is power dissipating somewhere else I don't know but the output meter reads zero with zero reflected.

Wait, hold on.. 45VDC and 2.5A is only showing how much current the amplifier is drawing from the supply, not how many RF watts are being output. Do you have an external in-line watt meter that can measure forward and reflected power?

Chances are what you're seeing is idle current, where there is power supply draw, but no RF out. This usually is caused by no input drive to the P-Tech. Make sure whatever exciter you're using is actually producing output before assuming you have an amplifier problem.

Last edited:
Wait, hold on.. 45VDC and 2.5A is only showing how much current the amplifier is drawing from the supply, not how many RF watts are being output. Do you have an external in-line watt meter that can measure forward and reflected power?

Chances are what you're seeing is idle current, where there is power supply draw, but no RF out. This usually is caused by no input drive to the P-Tech. Make sure whatever exciter you're using is actually producing output before assuming you have an amplifier problem.

Yes, you are seeing the idle current. The efficiency of most transmitters is extremely low at minimal power. DC bias on the mosfets causes current to flow, but it is just wasted energy. As the power increases, so does the efficiency.

Regarding the problem, I'd suggest calling Glen at PTEK. Chances are he will know what the issue is and how to help. 509-290-6652.

I agree, call PTEK they have always been very good supporting their product. How old is the unit, some FET's after quite a few years develop leaky gates and performance suffers. Looking at google the ES seems fairly recent. Also is line voltage good? the 1000 I think requires at least 200 vac

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom