P-TEK FM1000ES Problem Just developed ?

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: P-TEK FM1000ES Problem Just developed ?

  1. #1

    P-TEK FM1000ES Problem Just developed ?

    I have a PTEK FM1000ES and it was working fine until today. It came on and transmits about 3 watts no matter what. Voltage is good 45 volts but amperage is down to about 2.5 amps everything comes on but output is so low but clear and good. The output seems to measure good and not shorted. I am suspecting the control module or exciter module but not sure . Has anyone had this experience with one of these ? Thanks

  2. #2
    My calculator says 45V * 2.5A = 112W.

    Where's the other 109W going?

    You probably should find an experienced contract engineer. I suspect you'll need equipment that the average hobbyist won't have, to identify the problem.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

  3. #3
    Good question, now whether it is power dissipating somewhere else I don't know but the output meter reads zero with zero reflected.







    Quote Originally Posted by PTBoardOp94 View Post
    My calculator says 45V * 2.5A = 112W.

    Where's the other 109W going?

    You probably should find an experienced contract engineer. I suspect you'll need equipment that the average hobbyist won't have, to identify the problem.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by dalorian View Post
    Good question, now whether it is power dissipating somewhere else I don't know but the output meter reads zero with zero reflected.
    Wait, hold on.. 45VDC and 2.5A is only showing how much current the amplifier is drawing from the supply, not how many RF watts are being output. Do you have an external in-line watt meter that can measure forward and reflected power?

    Chances are what you're seeing is idle current, where there is power supply draw, but no RF out. This usually is caused by no input drive to the P-Tech. Make sure whatever exciter you're using is actually producing output before assuming you have an amplifier problem.
    Last edited by Kelly A; 12-22-2016 at 10:26 AM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    Wait, hold on.. 45VDC and 2.5A is only showing how much current the amplifier is drawing from the supply, not how many RF watts are being output. Do you have an external in-line watt meter that can measure forward and reflected power?

    Chances are what you're seeing is idle current, where there is power supply draw, but no RF out. This usually is caused by no input drive to the P-Tech. Make sure whatever exciter you're using is actually producing output before assuming you have an amplifier problem.
    Yes, you are seeing the idle current. The efficiency of most transmitters is extremely low at minimal power. DC bias on the mosfets causes current to flow, but it is just wasted energy. As the power increases, so does the efficiency.

    Regarding the problem, I'd suggest calling Glen at PTEK. Chances are he will know what the issue is and how to help. 509-290-6652.

  6. #6
    I agree, call PTEK they have always been very good supporting their product. How old is the unit, some FET's after quite a few years develop leaky gates and performance suffers. Looking at google the ES seems fairly recent. Also is line voltage good? the 1000 I think requires at least 200 vac

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us