Buh-bye, Taylor Swift. What to do with GMR artists come January 1st?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buh-bye, Taylor Swift. What to do with GMR artists come January 1st?

Buh-bye, Taylor Swift. What to do with GMR artists come January 1st?

Have been following the GMR story for a couple of weeks and have been wondering how smaller stations are planning their playlists come January 1st.
    http://lawstreetmedia.com/blogs/ip-c...lawsuit-radio/

How much is GMR wanting per station to use their repertory? Reportedly GMR represents 7.5% of all music airplay. I'm betting GMR wants almost as much as ASCAP and BMI get.

Make no mistake: The old, symbiotic relationship in the USA between radio airplay of music helping the music industry sell recordings is over.

Quote Originally Posted by joebtsflk1 View Post

The old, symbiotic relationship in the USA between radio airplay of music helping the music industry sell recordings is over.
    That's not what the judge said to The Turtles.

http://rbr.com/siriusxm-pre72-supremecourt/

The fact of the matter is that there still is no better platform to break new music. When you look at the songs people are streaming, they heard them all first on FM radio.

At some point, a judge will say the same to Azoff.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    That's not what the judge said to The Turtles.

http://rbr.com/siriusxm-pre72-supremecourt/

The fact of the matter is that there still is no better platform to break new music. When you look at the songs people are streaming, they heard them all first on FM radio.

At some point, a judge will say the same to Azoff.
    I sure hope you're right on that one...but I think in the interim, smaller stations would do well to rid themselves of GMR songs come January 1. Large market stations may have no competitive choice but to pay Azoff's GMR or lose a substantial number of currents.

I sure hope you're right on that one...but I think in the interim, smaller stations would do well to rid themselves of GMR songs come January 1. Large market stations may have no competitive choice but to pay Azoff's GMR or lose a substantial number of currents.
    Not so much currents, but I see a ton of classic rock: Tom Petty, Springsteen, Steve Miller, Eagles, etc.

First, we had Geo-Fencing because of royalty costs. Now, it looks like maybe we'll have some Artist-Fencing for the same reason?

Quote Originally Posted by boombox4 View Post
    First, we had Geo-Fencing because of royalty costs. Now, it looks like maybe we'll have some Artist-Fencing for the same reason?
    More like "song-fencing." This is a songwriter royalty issue. And this will be an issue for digital too.

Tom Taylor's newsletter has a story on this today. He says that iHeart and Townsquare have cut direct deals with GMR to cover songs played on their stations. All others are not covered as of January 1, 2017. They risk getting sued by GMR.

Just what I was afraid of. I've been curious about what GMR has been extorting, rather, demanding from stations to use their repertory. It seems clear as mud to me when I go to the GMR website. And there doesn't seem to be a clear breakout of the songs in the GMR repertory. I'm guessing they are following the SESAC playbook to the letter.

Stations that contact GMR may risk divulging information to them that GMR can use against the station, it seems to me. How can stations de-GRM (transposition intentional, as in GeRM) their playlists?

Make no mistake: Azoff's GMR is playing hardball and is being intentionally obtuse. The band Anthrax was listed as being a GMR artist, but the band called out GMR for that label, saying they've only performed one GMR licensed song in their career. They're scared radio is about to drop them like a hot potato:
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ant...s-radio-fight/

How can stations de-GRM (transposition intentional, as in GeRM) their playlists?
    Songwriter publisher information is in the metadata for any songs they play. It's pretty easy to see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast