someone please clarify this for me.

Thread: someone please clarify this for me.

someone please clarify this for me.

I don't mean to upset frankberry, I know he's in charge, but he has me completely confused. As far as I can tell, he's unwilling to give me a straight answer to why he deleted my first attempt to register with the forum.

is anyone here willing to tell me what the hell this means?so far the best I can guess is he has a issue with the username I wanted, happysock (a username/email I have had for a while on multiple sites).

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Account removed at Radio Discussions!

My reply to your email was not a joke.
    I do not permit sock puppets on the website.
    If I discover that a member is a sock puppet for another user name, I will delete and ban both user names.

Frank Berry
    General Manager
    www.RadioDiscussions.com

Quote Originally Posted by jlegere View Post
    I don't mean to upset frankberry, I know he's in charge, but he has me completely confused. As far as I can tell, he's unwilling to give me a straight answer to why he deleted my first attempt to register with the forum.

is anyone here willing to tell me what the hell this means?so far the best I can guess is he has a issue with the username I wanted, happysock (a username/email I have had for a while on multiple sites).
    There have been all too many instances of multiple sock puppets on the boards in recent months. This has made certain city sections impossible to use due to the extreme clutter of posts by individuals and their sock puppets all engaging in verbal self-gratification.

You seem to have joined and are obviously able to post. Seems like there is no longer an issue!
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

There have been all too many instances of multiple sock puppets on the boards in recent months. This has made certain city sections impossible to use due to the extreme clutter of posts by individuals and their sock puppets all engaging in verbal self-gratification.

You seem to have joined and are obviously able to post. Seems like there is no longer an issue!
    is there a definition of sock puppet that normal people aren't aware of?

Essentially it's a creation of someone who establishes an additional identity for themselves online and uses it to praise, support, laud or even haggle with the "owner" of the sock puppet. It's a digital alter ego intended to enhance the person's ability to troll or further a personal agenda.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

I've never heard that term before either. Long ago, on another web site of which I was a long time member, I was banned for creating a 2nd userid although I only used it when logging on with my primary didn't work (there was a bug of some sort which affected a number of users, not just me). The bylaws of that site never referred to "sock puppet" or prohibited multiple userids. No warning or explanation was ever given when the ban went into effect but as I was still able to read the board. just not post, a discussion came up weeks later and that was apparently the reason.

The ease with which we can start lively "discussions" here make me wonder why anyone would want, or need, a sock puppet.

Another thought just occurred to me. Anyone who creates a sock puppet must not be married. I get more than enough arguments outside the board.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

I remember the term "sock puppet" from the long ago days of Usenet and its newsgroups. They were especially troublesome in the anything-goes groups in the "alt." domain.

well the use of "sock puppet" does make sense in this light. but to refuse to allow me to use a username based on an assumption like that seems odd. Who in their right mind, not that I am, would make a user named 'happysock' and then use it as a puppet account. seems a little too obvious.

Google is your friend. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_(Internet)

well the use of "sock puppet" does make sense in this light. but to refuse to allow me to use a username based on an assumption like that seems odd. Who in their right mind, not that I am, would make a user named 'happysock' and then use it as a puppet account. seems a little too obvious.
    Unfortunately, that's exactly what a sock puppet would do. It's so obvious that it couldn't really be a sock puppet.