• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Brock & Salk in Portland

Let's see if they do any better than Rivers did when they went to PDX. Yes, I know it's two different styles but they're both localized spoken word formats which have a harder time working outside the home market.

Wow. Brock & Salk have been an entirely Seattle-centric, or at the least a Washington-centric show. I would assume they will try to add Portland sports into the show with this news, but how long and how significant will that be? I don't think the Portland audience will put up with it, frankly. My prediction: 6 months to 1 year, then done. This show is a Seattle sports show, and if you thought Seattle music stations couldn't make it in Portland, then just watch out how Portland reacts to a Seattle sports show. If you try to do more Portland sports, then they turn off Seattle listeners. It really is a no-win situation. This won't be pretty.

Last edited:
What Portland sports are there, aside from the Trailblazers (and their soccer team, the Timbers, who are Seattle's chief rivals)?

What Portland sports are there, aside from the Trailblazers (and their soccer team, the Timbers, who are Seattle's chief rivals)?

Exactly. There isn't much there. Even the Oregon vs Washington college scene has become inane. Again, I predict this won't last long, and indeed could be a place holder for now.

The one thing going for them are the Sea-HAWKS! With the team doing well over the past few years, much of their content is NFL related. Heck, I'd dare say outside of the first half of the MLB season, 80-90% of 710's content is Seahawks talk.

Quite a few Hawks fans in that neck of the woods. Go out towards past Bend, and oddly enough, you see lots of Cowboys fans (as a diehard Redskins fan, I'm both perplexed and irritated by that)

You do have the Mariners too...but that's a hard sell even in a close playoff race to all but the heartiest of fans.

That being said, they may not have a long run...I have always felt outside of their own teams, Portland has many more fair weather fans for football/baseball. Once the Hawks perform poorly, all those jerseys go back into the closet!

Radio-X

Last edited:
The one thing going for them are the Sea-HAWKS! With the team doing well over the past few years, much of their content is NFL related. Heck, I'd dare say outside of the first half of the MLB season, 80-90% of 710's content is Seahawks talk.

Quite a few Hawks fans in that neck of the woods. Go out towards past Bend, and oddly enough, you see lots of Cowboys fans (as a diehard Redskins fan, I'm both perplexed and irritated by that)

You do have the Mariners too...but that's a hard sell even in a close playoff race to all but the heartiest of fans.

That being said, they may not have a long run...I have always felt outside of their own teams, Portland has many more fair weather fans for football/baseball. Once the Hawks perform poorly, all those jerseys go back into the closet!

Radio-X

I agree with most of this. The Brock and Salk Show is totally Seahawks, Huskies, Mariners, Cougars in that order. Brock, an ABC/ESPN color guy, is probably biased to his college team, WA, but he understands that and is smart enough to know he can't pound on that forever, in fact he has been critical of his team over the years. Again, if they add too much Oregon content, doesn't this diminish their Seattle popularity? I don't know how they can navigate this perfectly. If I were producing this show I wouldn't change a thing. Maybe a couple of Oregon mentions, but don't change the show as it probably won't last in Portland.

Last edited:
Early in his Seattle stint, before he was the PD, Salk would fill-in nationally on ESPN. Mostly overnights and weekends, but I'm sure he can tailor the show accordingly. Mitch in the Morning was on in Portland for awhile if I recall....

Early in his Seattle stint, before he was the PD, Salk would fill-in nationally on ESPN. Mostly overnights and weekends, but I'm sure he can tailor the show accordingly. Mitch in the Morning was on in Portland for awhile if I recall....

Anybody can tailor a show, the question is will the either of the audiences accept it.

Anybody can tailor a show, the question is will the either of the audiences accept it.

Portland comes on board Tuesday (1/3). I predict about six months at best. Watch Brock and Salk try to offer PDX material, but to no avail. This is doomed before it even starts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom