• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WRYC FM Frisco City is on the air

Poor souls, that's almost worst than none at all. I have a friend up in the rural wilds of Alaska and their cellular service is 2G/GPRS only, which is basically glorified dial-up, and he can't do dink on his phone without wifi. And even the village internet is rocky since it's all via satellite.

Yeah, but is great if you have a radio signal in town :)

I drove up west Alabama yesterdayb by way of Hwy 43. No WRYC. How is it that a Class-A can't be heard that small distance? Is this station really on-air?

I drove up west Alabama yesterdayb by way of Hwy 43. No WRYC. How is it that a Class-A can't be heard that small distance? Is this station really on-air?

It's on the air, but only broadcasting with 300 watts (on a power pole?).
Until it upgrades, Rooster Country is pretty much a U.S. 84 and AL-21 thing for South Monroe County.

It's on the air, but only broadcasting with 300 watts (on a power pole?).
Until it upgrades, Rooster Country is pretty much a U.S. 84 and AL-21 thing for South Monroe County.

Sounds like an almost impossible situation to eek out a living for a radio station of any kind. Last time I was in Frisco City, it was a ghost town and I'm not thinking it's growing any. I don't think this station stands a chance unless the original idea behind it was either to rim-shot Monroeville (it will certainly never reach any other sizeable city with a competitive signal even as a full-blown Class-A) or playing the speculation game of applying for a commercial CP and immediately offering it for sale for a sizeable profit on the costs involved in applying. This station truly is caught between a rock and a hard place.

After several Dothan radio stations moved around last year it opened up some new spectrum around WRYC. The owner put it on the air with minimal facilites to make his CP deadline while he works on the engineering for a much bigger signal than originally planned.

I noticed this too. Makes me wish for the day when people talked on the phone or wrote a letter. Slower, sure, but there was no doubt about what had been said. I guess my 77 years are showing? Thanks
J Boyd

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom