• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WELJ 104.7 FM Set to debut New Format

xmradiopro

Star Participant
WELJ 104.7 FM starts new format December 26, 2016. They say the new format will be something not currenty offered in their area. Any speculation what it could be ?

weren't they Country before ? I think they said a new format...

Well, it's not currently offered in the area, right? And "hot" current-based country would technically be new for WELJ, which was running gold-leaning Nash Icon before going Christmas.

If not hot country, then what would make any sense for eastern LI? Foreign-language formats would be non-starters, as would urban. If they were just throwing up their hands in defeat, firing all but the engineers and accountants and going paid religious or an unpredictable mess of leased-time programming, they wouldn't be teasing it this way. How about progressive talk? It doesn't seem to work anywhere, but it's a format hole. Dredge up a fad format of the past, maybe -- smooth jazz, disco, all-'80s, jammin' oldies?

i would like to see all 70s or late 60s & to mid 70s format or maybe Country Gold from the 60s & 70s.

Well, it's not currently offered in the area, right? And "hot" current-based country would technically be new for WELJ, which was running gold-leaning Nash Icon before going Christmas.

If not hot country, then what would make any sense for eastern LI? Foreign-language formats would be non-starters, as would urban. If they were just throwing up their hands in defeat, firing all but the engineers and accountants and going paid religious or an unpredictable mess of leased-time programming, they wouldn't be teasing it this way. How about progressive talk? It doesn't seem to work anywhere, but it's a format hole. Dredge up a fad format of the past, maybe -- smooth jazz, disco, all-'80s, jammin' oldies?

They were "hit country" before. They simulcast WNSH 94.7 and then eventually flipped to NASH ICON.

Keith Allen formerly of WBZO-FM (pre MAX-FM) is the program director. Maybe that should give an indication of which direction the station is going.

Keith Allen formerly of WBZO-FM (pre MAX-FM) is the program director. Maybe that should give an indication of which direction the station is going.

For out-of-market folks like me (although I can get WELJ when conditions are right), what format(s) are Mr. Allen associated with?

For out-of-market folks like me (although I can get WELJ when conditions are right), what format(s) are Mr. Allen associated with?

WBZO was an oldies/classic hits station. If they go that way they would be competing against WLNG.

There is no way that 104.7 FM will be oldies or classic hits. They would not want to compete with WLNG on Eastern Long Island.

There is no way that 104.7 FM will be oldies or classic hits. They would not want to compete with WLNG on Eastern Long Island.

The biggest issue is that the station is so far out, its 65 dbu barely covers 15,000 people while WLNG covers nearly 100,000. The question is whether there are enough local businesses not already served by better coverage stations to make it ever possible for this facility, with any format, to survive.

Two 20-year olds bought the station? Either their families have a lot of money or the price of radio stations has dropped quite a bit. I suppose we'll know today what the format will be.

Can a pair of 20 year olds successfully run a station? Isn't the success of a small-town station based on the owner's personal relationships with the owners of the local businesses, the car dealers, retail chains, etc.? The golf outings, the charities, these are the places where an owner or GM rubs shoulders with the big money folks.

Two 20-year olds bought the station? Either their families have a lot of money or the price of radio stations has dropped quite a bit. I suppose we'll know today what the format will be.

Can a pair of 20 year olds successfully run a station? Isn't the success of a small-town station based on the owner's personal relationships with the owners of the local businesses, the car dealers, retail chains, etc.? The golf outings, the charities, these are the places where an owner or GM rubs shoulders with the big money folks.

I'm still having trouble figuring out what format hole they could possibly think exists in that part of Long Island. There are formats not being done, but given the demographics of that area, you can't really call them holes because hardly anyone there wants them filled. Maybe they'll do an eclectic, anything-goes format like WATD in Marshfield, Mass. But WATD is very active in the community and reaches a whole lot more people (and businesses) with its signal in the populous Boston suburbs than WELJ does in its little patch of Long Island. Let's see what they have planned....

Can two 20-year-olds run a station? I built my first station at age 18, although it was in a market of about a million and not a very small one as in this case; the station made money its first year and was rated #1. So it can be done

Community involvement is part of selling, but the key issue is that a local station has to produce cash register results. Unlike larger markets where ratings can be an approximate measure of success, local markets have to move merchandise or sell services.

Personally, I think they should put their transmitter on the WSUF tower. Why? Because it would be closer to New London, they'd get more listeners, advertisers, etc. They could also refocus on New London. Just my 2¢.

Personally, I think they should put their transmitter on the WSUF tower. Why? Because it would be closer to New London, they'd get more listeners, advertisers, etc. They could also refocus on New London. Just my 2¢.

Just a quick look at co-channel and adjacent channel protections indicates that they are as far north and west as they can be already.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom