WELJ 104.7 FM Set to debut New Format
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WELJ 104.7 FM Set to debut New Format

WELJ 104.7 FM Set to debut New Format

WELJ 104.7 FM starts new format December 26, 2016. They say the new format will be something not currenty offered in their area. Any speculation what it could be ?

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Country?
    weren't they Country before ? I think they said a new format...

Quote Originally Posted by MusicRadioUSA View Post
    weren't they Country before ? I think they said a new format...
    Well, it's not currently offered in the area, right? And "hot" current-based country would technically be new for WELJ, which was running gold-leaning Nash Icon before going Christmas.

If not hot country, then what would make any sense for eastern LI? Foreign-language formats would be non-starters, as would urban. If they were just throwing up their hands in defeat, firing all but the engineers and accountants and going paid religious or an unpredictable mess of leased-time programming, they wouldn't be teasing it this way. How about progressive talk? It doesn't seem to work anywhere, but it's a format hole. Dredge up a fad format of the past, maybe -- smooth jazz, disco, all-'80s, jammin' oldies?

i would like to see all 70s or late 60s & to mid 70s format or maybe Country Gold from the 60s & 70s.

Well, it's not currently offered in the area, right? And "hot" current-based country would technically be new for WELJ, which was running gold-leaning Nash Icon before going Christmas.

If not hot country, then what would make any sense for eastern LI? Foreign-language formats would be non-starters, as would urban. If they were just throwing up their hands in defeat, firing all but the engineers and accountants and going paid religious or an unpredictable mess of leased-time programming, they wouldn't be teasing it this way. How about progressive talk? It doesn't seem to work anywhere, but it's a format hole. Dredge up a fad format of the past, maybe -- smooth jazz, disco, all-'80s, jammin' oldies?
    They were "hit country" before. They simulcast WNSH 94.7 and then eventually flipped to NASH ICON.

Keith Allen formerly of WBZO-FM (pre MAX-FM) is the program director. Maybe that should give an indication of which direction the station is going.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYoGo View Post
    Keith Allen formerly of WBZO-FM (pre MAX-FM) is the program director. Maybe that should give an indication of which direction the station is going.
    For out-of-market folks like me (although I can get WELJ when conditions are right), what format(s) are Mr. Allen associated with?

For out-of-market folks like me (although I can get WELJ when conditions are right), what format(s) are Mr. Allen associated with?
    WBZO was an oldies/classic hits station. If they go that way they would be competing against WLNG.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast