Univision Radio flipping AM stations into sports network

Thread: Univision Radio flipping AM stations into sports network

Univision Radio flipping AM stations into sports network

Interesting that in the number one Spanish media market ( I think it is bigger than NYC for Spanish) Univision owns the only news/talk format in Spanish and they are dropping it ---you would think that they have a nice market niche to hold on to...when I briefly was an asst. there, a long long time ago...it was a popular format...not sure anymore...what went wrong?

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by radiogal View Post
    Interesting that in the number one Spanish media market ( I think it is bigger than NYC for Spanish) Univision owns the only news/talk format in Spanish and they are dropping it ---you would think that they have a nice market niche to hold on to...when I briefly was an asst. there, a long long time ago...it was a popular format...not sure anymore...what went wrong?
    The success of KTNQ as a talk station was in the period from 1995 to 1999; at one time it was in a tie or beating KFI in 25-54. After that, it declined as several other operations tried to also do Spanish language talk and the available audience was fragmented. By 2002, the station was simulcasting KRCD/KRCV and its oldies format.

The station later became one of the Univision América stations, but that format did, at best, a 0.1 to 0.2 share in LA. Most of the measured audience came during baseball season where the Dodgers broadcasts lifted the average a little.

Talk in Spanish on the US mainland has not registered significant ratings for over 15 years, despite several money-losing efforts to create stations and networks. The format leans old in a market segment where buys skew very young.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 12-20-2016 at 05:09 AM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.