• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Orleans Radio

What possible changes do people see coming to New Orleans radio in 2017? What would you like to see? Station by station. For me I'd like to see a station start to compete w B97. Voodoo does to an extent but voodoo I think doesn't even know what it wants to be. I think Nash will stick around for a while. Q93 is here to stay as well as Wyld. Bayou looks like they are dropping W and J by their job posting for a new morning show that's live and local. Wrno is good to stay. Wnoe is solid as well as Magic. I think 102.9,should focus on becoming more top 40 rhythmic. I see voodoo tweaking or overhauling format. Wwl is set. Underground is too new but think they are a great format. Rock 963 pal. I would love to see more live and local new Orleans radio. Any ideas?

had told a friend after he posted complaining about W&J leaving, My guess is they got a better offer local if they let a syndication deal that's been in play for 11+ years die. But made me wonder if WRNO may pick them up? As they only have a "America in the morning listed" and W&J has been at a I heart news station in Houston, and curious if they may have made a deal to come to WRNO as they run a conservative talk show more than a rock show anymore IMO

KAGY 1510 is moving up the river more with a CP app so curious if they will try to rimshot NOLA or what https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...xt=25&appn=101746403&formid=301&fac_num=43127

Not sure on numbers on voodoo as of late but think they are right up with NASH. Nash is having identity issues and needs to focus 24/7 on the product as the syndicated shows still run new only product, killing some of your listeners who they are trying to ween from Gumbo 94.9

Rock 96.3 is a after thought and to me has numbers as they are as cookie cutter IMO as Bayou... too much same stuff. not say pushing more of a newer active format with rock 96.3

Can't really hear Underground, but I've got a few who want to hear it (Im SW of NOLA and 106.1/106.3 bleed together) and is way better presentation from what I did listen to vs rock 92.3 which sounded thrown together

The "other" site is reporting W&J are moving to WRNO, which makes sense given they are reporting Jerry V has been fired from mornings there. It also makes sense given W&J are syndicated by IHeart and WRNO is an Iheart station.

In 2017, I would like to see Magic 101.9 start airing Backtrax USA on Saturday nights. Also, Power 102.9 should get a stronger signal toward the southern LA coast and go Top 40/Rythmic Blend. Or they could move K-Love from 107.5 to 102.9. Also, Old School should trade places with Underground (get it back on 106.7). KXOR 106.3 should go mainstream rock with LA Lloyd countdown on Sunday nights. As for classic hits, they ought to consider merging 'TIX and Z 104.5. 101.9 and 105.3 could trade places to get WWL-FM back on its one-time frequency (maybe turn Magic into the new Lite 105).

Rob;
WWL frequency swap I would like to see that because 101.9 is a better signal. Unless Cumulus and EMF swaps frequencies it's not gonna happen. Besides the only way 102.9 can increase power is to lower the antenna on the tower to protect KAJN-FM Crowley, LA signal. As for WTIX and KWMZ as long as its Michael Costello's personal Jukeboxes it's not gonna happen.

Steven:
If that is the case I have to wonder how It will affect Eagle 98.1. The last few months Jerry-V's show was simulcast on WJBO.

Steven:
If that is the case I have to wonder how It will affect Eagle 98.1. The last few months Jerry-V's show was simulcast on WJBO.

I doubt it'll affect The Eagle since the show is very popular in The Eagle's large coverage area and IHeart doesn't have an FM fit for W&J in BR. They would also lose all of the listeners in Lafayette by moving to WJBO since the signal is quite noisy in Lafayette and KZMZ doesn't get into Lafayette as reliably as they did prior to dropping 500 ft in antenna height several years ago.

I also really don't see them moving to AM in BR. They are on AM in Houston because IHeart flipped their home-base station from classic rock to urban and there was no other place for them on the dial. KPRC-950 in Houston has a decent signal and covers the metro well, but I'm not sure what kind of ratings they are generating on it.

Let's try this then. First, there should be a swap between 102.9, 106.1, and 106.7 (like put Underground on 106.7). Also, Magic 101.9 or 105.3 (if swap with WWL-FM occurs) should go modern AC or Hot AC and air more 80s syndicated programming on weekends. As for KXOR 106.3, they should go mainstream rock (like 97.9 CPR) while dropping the songs that belong on classic hits stations. It would be like 97.9 CPR but with more 80s hair bands and 90s and 00s alternative rock. And Voodoo should tweak its format toward regular Top 40.

Let's try this then. First, there should be a swap between 102.9, 106.1, and 106.7 (like put Underground on 106.7). Also, Magic 101.9 or 105.3 (if swap with WWL-FM occurs) should go modern AC or Hot AC and air more 80s syndicated programming on weekends. As for KXOR 106.3, they should go mainstream rock (like 97.9 CPR) while dropping the songs that belong on classic hits stations. It would be like 97.9 CPR but with more 80s hair bands and 90s and 00s alternative rock. And Voodoo should tweak its format toward regular Top 40.

I don't see Cumulus moving a inner city successful format to a rimshot where people would be hard pressed to hear the station.

Actually I would expect a first thing would be to flip 106.1 and 92.3 , making 106.1 a Nash Icon style station to compete against 101.1 and do it in a area where country is a bit more popular. The 92.3 would fill the voids for this format in Baton Rouge and Houma areas. But would require I think a shift to modern rock more.

Personally , flipping heritage stations tends to cost money to reeducate John Q. Public who tend in this area to remember stations that flipped 20 years ago and I don't see it happening with all the money that will be spent coming up on educating people on the new translator for WWWL and the Classical hd2 coming to a translator from WWNO.

WOMN 1100 is trying to restart the 50kw daytime proposal toward NOLA with a application filed. Interesting also is his CP for a translator for the station that is currently under Silent STA.

Waiting to see if my suspect is right about W&J moving to WRNO, as I am also interested to see if John Osterland will mix music with his talk on Bayou (as his resume lists a lot of classic/newer rock formatted stations in the Northeast). or if he will do a hard hitting talk type show such as WRNO days.....

On the bayou communities, I would love to see 106.3 also add mainstream rock, with most of the new rock they are adding getting closer to what mainstream stations play that is new. Rock hits IMO should include today and with 95.7 and 98.1 coming into town extremely well, I don't see a issue to flip.

Unless a miracle happens, I think some CPs on the bayou will cancel with the LPFMs and KBRS up in Belle Rose going unfulfilled

The other stations will stay status quo. KJIN just flipped oldies/classic hits KCIL is now sat fed most of day WGUO very popular station in my area

But surprised Truck hasn't gone for a translator for his KLEB Am station yet. Put swamp pop back on FM at least in his local South Lafourche community. KTIB appears to have antenna issues, but is getting a FM translator on 103.7... Not sure if it will stay the talk/classic hits format though or go full music with the move.

Funny thing is , seems as if there is a pirate in the area now on 96.3 ... But surprised he picked new country considering KCIL playing same thing at 96.7

OK, so there appears to be a good chance that 106.3 switches to mainstream rock with the all newer material being played. Now, the 80s and 90s hard rock and hair bands can stay, but get rid of songs that belong on oldies/classic hits stations. Also, 106.3 should run a weekly countdown show on Sunday nights (either LA Lloyd, Out of Order, or Loudwire countdown) and then follow with HardDrive.

I also agree on the FM translator for KLEB-AM. I'm sick of having to use my phone to listen to "Talk on the Bayou".

Actually, KJIN is satellite fed all day. KCIL is sat fed part of the day.

Also, 97.7 KDLC should drop its "soft rock" format and switch to modern or hot AC. That's what the music seems to sound like on 97.7. It too could run a countdown on Sunday nights.

96.3 should become a full power station playing new rock as well.

Hopefully also, the swap between 101.9 and 105.3 occurs - WWL-FM goes to 101.9 and WLMG moves to 105.3 and switches to modern AC or Hot AC. And some nationally syndicated 80s programs on the weekends wouldn't hurt. Let's face it: "soft rock" is dead.

That swap between 106.1 and 92.3 would also be a good idea because Baton Rouge does NOT have a new/alternative rock station there either. A weekly countdown on that station would also be nice!

Move it to a higher power station like the ever changing 104.1.. But you know that is too smart for them (But numbers aren't there to warrant a move) But yes, it would have issues even becoming a class A due to KCIL 96.7, WTGG 96.5 ... But also get questioned on it's closeness to 106.7 (If rule) and would put them over the ownership limit in New Orleans (translators don't count for ownership rules, but class A do

Perhaps 96.3 (even as a translator) needs to go. If it must deal with adjacent frequencies, it might be better if iHeart Media sold the station.

As for 104.1, Voodoo seems to be the most stable format that station has seen since it was Mix 104.1 (remember that station?). But Voodoo should switch to a regular Top 40.

Regarding 92.3, it should swap with 106.1. Both New Orleans and Baton Rouge need a new/alternative rock station.

Now for KXOR LA 106.3, while keeping the same name and slogan (Rock Hits Radio), it should switch from classic to mainstream rock (kinda like 97.9 CPR but with more 80s hair bands and 90s alternative rock while ridding itself of songs better suited for oldies/classic hits stations).

Perhaps 96.3 (even as a translator) needs to go. If it must deal with adjacent frequencies, it might be better if iHeart Media sold the station.

Due to it's power and location, it's having no issues, to increase the power, it goes under another set of rules that won't allow it to be anymore than a class A

Besides, both rock96.3 and 106.1 together only got a 1.6 in latest ratings..... either market has changed,most don't know about it, or numbers lean heavily African American and older White people? http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb053 what's your opinion?

One salvo has been fired with I heart removing Hard rock from New Orleans and replacing with classic hiphop .. Basically trying the format of the month with Throwback 96.3 .With a rumor that Entercom is ready to flip a station. With that said,my money is on WWWL 1350/(future 103.7) flipping to something musical? As only other thing in the cluster for flip would be WWL FM as rest are top 5 stations basically.(Unwown how many use the fm over the AM signal)

Like I have said before, 101.9 and 105.3 could be preparing to swap. And Magic could go Hot AC. Let's face it - "soft rock" is dead!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom