• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is 1130AM KWKH Listenable in Dallas?

The Rimshot

Leading Participant
I'll be driving through Dallas (Abilene to Shreveport) Saturday night and was wondering if KWKH can be caught in Dallas and if so, how listenable is it?

I've picked up KWKH as far south as Laredo, but with Dallas being within three hours of Shreveport, I was thinking maybe the groundwave would cancel out the skywave.

That happens to me with WOAI in Victoria, as well as XEG in Laredo.

Thanks in advance.

KWKH and KEEL from Shreveport came in on my car radio almost like locals when I lived in Dallas 20 years ago.

Dallas and Ft. Worth are way outside of the area where groundwave and skywave should cancel each other out for KWKH. Longview, on the other hand, should be a different story. Tyler could be, too.

DFW is ALMOST too far north for KWKH's night pattern but most nights its definitely there, some nights stronger than others. I used to listen quite regularly when it was still Classic Country as its a heck of a lot stronger than WSM is here. The absolute strongest night signal is WWL, with WOAI and KRZI right behind it. 1680 out of Shreveport is another regular here with a pretty booming signal most of the time.

Last edited:
Can you pull in XEG's 1050AM on a nightly basis better than KWKH?

I remember listening to 1050AM all the way from Fort Worth to Terrell without much static. Did not think to try KWKH.

Last edited:
Can you pull in XEG's 1050AM on a nightly basis better than KWKH?

I remember listening to 1050AM all the way from Fort Worth to Terrell without much static. Did not think to try KWKH.

1050 is pretty solid where I'm at near the Red River, XERF 1570 still booms in as well.
1050 is probably more reliable than KWKH but I haven't listened to either long enough to know for sure, I've never thought to compare the two so I'll have to check it out.
1680 is KRJO Monroe, I got the cities mixed up. Plays a Jack-FM type format.

On a side note, I can get a faint KWKH during the day at my location.

Last edited:
From what I read on Facebook, Townsquare has worked on improving KWKH's signal. A few years ago it's daytime signal was fine, not quite as good as KEEL 710. But KWKH's was weak at night here in Kilgore. Driving east on I-20 it didn't get strong until you got around Marshall. It's much stronger now.

It is not as good as it used to be. I used to listen to it at night all the time. Granted, once it dropped the music I had less reason to listen, but I've found the signal in the past few years to be far harder to get at night.

I can actually hear it in the daytime at my home in Plano, but it is way down in the mud and mostly hard to understand what they're saying.

Had enough presence of mind to check 1130 and 710 yesterday evening during the 5PM hour. 1130 was totally absent (as in nothing on the frequency) and 710 yielded KCMO out of Kansas City with a decent listenable signal. No sign of KEEL.

Chris,

How far east does 1680 go? Any mail or comments saying a listener picked it up in Jackson? Meridian?

How far east? It has been heard in Europe.

Had enough presence of mind to check 1130 and 710 yesterday evening during the 5PM hour. 1130 was totally absent (as in nothing on the frequency) and 710 yielded KCMO out of Kansas City with a decent listenable signal. No sign of KEEL.

I've had about the same experience with KCMO, I don't think I've ever logged KEEL. KWKH has always been weak up here, I really think we are just too far north for their pattern.

Quick update....I pulled KWKH in between Terrell and Dallas around 0530 UTC this morning. It wasn't full-quieting but still there nonetheless.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom