WQXI-AM sale closed: flipping imminent - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: WQXI-AM sale closed: flipping imminent

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Rafone View Post
    That would be accurate, since you could get them in Athens in 1966 even with WPTF in SC nearby. That was in the daytime only, of course. After the sun went down they wre lost …
    The GRHOF used to have on their site an aircheck of Boortz signing off WRNG, from 1979, shortly before they got their DA-N license and the array in Ptree Corners.
    "When broadcasting over the radio, there are certain words we must omit.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

Note that WPTF is in NC (Raleigh), not SC.

Quote Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
    Note that WPTF is in NC (Raleigh), not SC.
    You are quite correct. I misspoke. My intent was to comment on the interference that covered the WRNG signal after sundown to the east of Atlanta.

My apologies.
    WGAU (Athens) 1965-1968 / WDOL (Athens) 1971 / Radio Dramatist

Back to Korean Radio WQXI

Don't know if you noticed but the existing Korean stations on 1040 and 1080 have gone dark. Maybe one will resurface as an oldies station. We can only hope.

Don't know if you noticed but the existing Korean stations on 1040 and 1080 have gone dark. Maybe one will resurface as an oldies station. We can only hope.
    I believe the man who purchased 790 had been leasing 1040. Last time I picked them up, 1080 was Spanish.

Wikipedia reports WFTD 1080 dropped Spanish in July 2007 and went Korean. But the most recent format was Vietnamese music and talk. To us Anglophones it all sounds the same. I just recall there being two Asian broadcasters side by side.

1080 has been silent since 1/1 BTW.

Strange listening to the new WQXI. That was a flip that I never saw coming. WQXI was once a market icon. They EVEN bought (and later sold) a TV station (WQXI TV11). I wonder if the entire AM band will one day become narrow-casters.

Quote Originally Posted by HGR1290 View Post
    1080 has been silent since 1/1 BTW.
    I could not find an STA on the FCC site, but the website is not 100% accurate. They do have a CP for a translator on 96.5:

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/f...ext+Page%2FTab

Strange listening to the new WQXI. That was a flip that I never saw coming. WQXI was once a market icon. They EVEN bought (and later sold) a TV station (WQXI TV11). I wonder if the entire AM band will one day become narrow-casters.

IIRC WQXI was owned by Jefferson Pilot. Pre 80-90 there were several insurance companies that owned broadcasting properties. National Life owned WSM AM, FM and Channel 4 in Nashville. Not to be outdone Life and Casualty of Tennessee owned WLAC AM, FM and Channel 5 in Nashville. Nationwide Insurance Co. owned a bunch of stations. Insurance Companies use to look for stable investments with positive cash flows. They also tended to look a little longer for return on investment than today’s companies. Insurance Companies could be thought of as “deep pocket” investors that tended to look years or decades ahead.

Not knowing the cash flow inner workings of the old Jefferson Pilot, I would not be too sure that 790’s profit paid (or would be allow to pay for) for Channel 11.

But you are correct to state that the old WQXI / 790 made a whole lot of money. They could afford pay Gary McKee $17,000 (TAKEHOME!!) every two weeks.*

*http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2014...rmer-94q-host/

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast