Mix 106 slipping back to the 80s again - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mix 106 slipping back to the 80s again

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg. View Post
    I notice the WISX website now uses the phrase "Mix 106.1 - Variety from the 80s, 90s and now." So this is more than just a temporary move while WBEB and WOGL are in Christmas mode.

Unusual for a Hot AC to add 80s music, since most Hot AC stations are aiming at a younger audience, too young to remember the 80s.
    Exactly. This isn't simply slipping a few songs into the playlist. Imaging, website, even the voicetracks from Ryan Seacrest and Mario Lopez have been updated to reflect the 80s add-ins. Leads me to believe the station is tweaking a bit and the songs will stay post-Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Groove1670 View Post
    The key is selected 80's. The songs that test well across many demos. Madonna, Bon Jovi, Prince, Benetar..etc.
    Journey. Don't forget Journey

Keep in mind some stations will make slight changes to freshen up the playlist.
    WLYB FM
    96.3 Demopolis AL.
    100.5 Meridian Mississippi.

WRYC FM
    92.5 Frisco City/Monroeville

Does this mean that WISX is moving towards mainstream AC where it will compete with WBEB and to a lesser extent, WJBR?

Quote Originally Posted by atthestars View Post
    True, after the first round of mostly failed 80s stations, we've seen All-80s stations pop back up in San Francisco, Miami, Albuquerque, State College, and Tulsa. Testing for 80s songs looking strong again?
    There is a school of thought that the eighties are the last viable oldies format. We'll see.

En Vogue started in 1990, so why do they classify as 80's?

Might just be that our Hot AC is feeling some stress because we have two Top 40's. That's three stations playing a lot of the same music. It certainly makes more sense for WISX to compete with WBEB than to compete in the Top 40 space (which could potentially cut into their own sister, Q102).

106.1 The River in Knoxville,TN still plays lots of 80's and they're Hot AC. Maybe a little top 40 leaning because of the heavy selection of rap music in their playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelito View Post
    Might just be that our Hot AC is feeling some stress because we have two Top 40's. That's three stations playing a lot of the same music. It certainly makes more sense for WISX to compete with WBEB than to compete in the Top 40 space (which could potentially cut into their own sister, Q102).
    Was just re-reading this thread and thinking how ironic it is that Mix was competing with two Top 40's and now they're competing with two AC's! I looked over their playlist and it's damn good. Personally, I would never listen to Mario Lopez (I've listened and it's just awful) and I don't actually care much for Ryan Seacrest either. I rarely actually listen to a radio anymore so I guess my opinion is worthless but those two basically poison 106.1 for me. If I do turn on a radio, it's never 106.1. But I do like what the station has done with the library.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelito View Post
    Was just re-reading this thread and thinking how ironic it is that Mix was competing with two Top 40's and now they're competing with two AC's! I looked over their playlist and it's damn good. Personally, I would never listen to Mario Lopez (I've listened and it's just awful) and I don't actually care much for Ryan Seacrest either. I rarely actually listen to a radio anymore so I guess my opinion is worthless but those two basically poison 106.1 for me. If I do turn on a radio, it's never 106.1. But I do like what the station has done with the library.
    I'm interested to see what becomes of Mix now. From what I've heard, they bill well, and run on the cheap. But it also seems like they're a bit of an afterthought in the cluster. (Ryan Seacrest was dumped on them from Q102 when Q102 wanted to go live in middays to battle then-96.5 AMP). The music mix sounds good, but does VT'd Wendy Wild, Seacrest, Mario Lopez, or the Rendezvous really make people tune in?

Obviously, I'm not their target demo or a regular radio listener, but the long breaks and such of those shows makes me tune out. The target demo may love the chatter though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12