• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Should KIRO/KJR do more Sounders?

installLSC

Leading Participant
As you know, the Sounders won their first MLS Cup this weekend and got a lot of coverage on the local TV newscasts. Yet on the two local sports talk stations, their win was barely mentioned. Why do you think the Sounders get so little sports talk coverage, and would the local stations profit from doing more Sounders talk?

You would think at least on the day after winning a championship there would be more coverage and interviews. But it's all Seahawks.

Because the NFL always has a bigger fanbase than MLS soccer. That's why you don't see 32 MLS games on CBS/Fox every Sunday. On the other hand, yesterday's Seattle game was absolutely horrendous.
KIMA/KNDO never mentioned it either in Yakima. Just the Seahawks' big loss to Green Bay, and a plethora of HS basketball games and the Tri-City Americans hockey team.

My guess is a lot of the Sounders' fanbase doesn't tune into KIRO or KJR for Sounders news and talk.

They may tune into KIRO-FM for the play by play, though. Obviously, that has an audience.

My guess is a lot of the Sounders' fanbase doesn't tune into KIRO or KJR for Sounders news and talk.

They may tune into KIRO-FM for the play by play, though. Obviously, that has an audience.

I thought that KIRO also had a show called "Soccer Talk" for a period of time.

I think the Sounders story is huge, and it was covered big-time by the major newspapers and tv and sports stations in Seattle.

That being said, the major media outlets know what their bread and butter is. #1 Seahawks, #2 Huskies, #3 Mariners, #4 Sounders. So they are just providing content to what the market wants. Simple.

The accurate way to look at it is this: "A lot of the KIRO or KJR fanbase doesn't tune in for Sounders news and talk". Harsh, but it's reality.

To put it in music terms, just because a concert may sell out doesn't mean a radio station should start playing the artist's music (think Bon Iver, Tony Bennett or some 80s hair band on a replenishment of the checking account tour).

Having shared an office space with a Sounders fanatic since the NASL days, he doesn't want any stations talking about the Sounders, because they won't use the right terms--pitch, kits, touchlines, etc--and he feels they are disrespecting the true fans. He admits that many Sounders fans are that protective of their team, and unlike other sports in town, aren't interested in the wagon jumpers and fair weather fans......

Having shared an office space with a Sounders fanatic since the NASL days, he doesn't want any stations talking about the Sounders, because they won't use the right terms--pitch, kits, touchlines, etc--and he feels they are disrespecting the true fans. He admits that many Sounders fans are that protective of their team, and unlike other sports in town, aren't interested in the wagon jumpers and fair weather fans......

Your office space mate should know that the Sounders (and any other professional sports franchise) could not care less whether fans know the "right terms", so long as they buy lots of tickets, lots of officially licensed merchandise and share their social media content.

In my opinion, a lot of those "correct terms" need to go by the wayside if the MSL truly wants to compete in the US with the NFL, MLB, or the NBA.

Here in America it's a field, not a "pitch". And it's "five to nothing", not "five-nil". I watch soccer now and then. I'll never call the field a "pitch", anymore than I'll call the car's hood a "bonnet" or the trunk the "boot". Some UK-isms just don't stick.

RE: sports coverage: local media is a bit choosy in who they cover, and I'm not sure it's due to research, or just their own preference. The Seattle Times will have pages dedicated to UW women's basketball, for example, and the local hockey teams and minor league baseball teams barely -- if ever -- get a mention. And the T-birds draw about the same size crowd. Same with the Tacoma minor league baseball team.

They do give the Sounders a lot of coverage, though, as they should. I think they draw around 40,000 to Century Link Field every game. :)

In my opinion, a lot of those "correct terms" need to go by the wayside if the MSL truly wants to compete in the US with the NFL, MLB, or the NBA.

Here in America it's a field, not a "pitch". And it's "five to nothing", not "five-nil". I watch soccer now and then. I'll never call the field a "pitch", anymore than I'll call the car's hood a "bonnet" or the trunk the "boot". Some UK-isms just don't stick.

RE: sports coverage: local media is a bit choosy in who they cover, and I'm not sure it's due to research, or just their own preference. The Seattle Times will have pages dedicated to UW women's basketball, for example, and the local hockey teams and minor league baseball teams barely -- if ever -- get a mention. And the T-birds draw about the same size crowd. Same with the Tacoma minor league baseball team.

They do give the Sounders a lot of coverage, though, as they should. I think they draw around 40,000 to Century Link Field every game. :)

I can understand your "correct terms" argument, but I do wonder if NFL fans in London use the "correct terms" for American football? If they do, then we should do the same, IMO. For example, in London when a team scores a TD/PA is it 7-nil? I really don't know the answer to that over there on the NFL "pitch", uh, I mean "field'.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom