• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Santa 98.7

Whatever it is it wont be "The Donald" long, what a terrible mash of uncommon genres and hands down the worst segues ever! I think there is a hole it's time we bring back the "Power Pig"

seriously we have 3 signals of each format why is there no new "fresh" format, guys this is Tampa Bay, legendary radio was born (and now killed) here

Maybe they are implementing a Money Talk / Business format to compete with 1380, or some kind of a cash giveaway.

Beasley is currently running a Money Talk/Business format on WHFS AM 1010 (with a Clearwater translator at 106.9, fed by WQYK-FM HD2). They could move it to 98.7, but I doubt it.

Lets face it, this is a challenged signal at best, not a lot of formats have listeners that tolerate that. I will bet whatever they do it wont be much more successful then previous formats. Beasley has it's hands full. Too bad they ignored SRQ ratings for Bubba (double digit shares) they could have done something there even if you couldn't hear it.

Beasley is currently running a Money Talk/Business format on WHFS AM 1010 (with a Clearwater translator at 106.9, fed by WQYK-FM HD2). They could move it to 98.7, but I doubt it.

It will be interesting to see (or hear) exactly what Beasley does with this signal. It was originally a class A owned by Entercom and was upgraded to a class C2 at the expense of co-owned WKTK 98.5 serving Gainesville which was downgraded from a full C to a C1. WKTK lost much of its fringe coverage while 98.7 only realized a marginal gain in coverage. Still, it isn't bad. Before Wild moved off 98.7 going to 94.1, the station had pretty good ratings. That is the only time I am aware that 98.7 performed well.

EXACTLY..... 98.7 can perform great with the CORRECT format. It must be different and something that isn't already available in the market. The rock format they were attempting sucked. Most of those songs were already on 2 other full powered stations. It's the same situation with 92.5 and 97.1. Both signals, when providing programming not offered elsewhere, do well. When 92.5 was country, it didn't work. As Spanish, it does. When 97.1 was oldies, it didn't work, when flipped to the market's first true "alternative", it did. Same goes for 98.7. It performed VERY well as "Wild". Bring back THAT format on the signal for that demo, who is much older now than the actual target for "Wild" on 94.1. Throwbacks... and iHeart knows it by doing what they did two weeks ago. The only other option where I see something working is an alternative format where you attempt to take out 97.1.... or skew it classic alternative and sell it as a combo with Q105. As for a curve ball.... maybe they want a female targeted station in the cluster and maybe that's where Chadd and Kristi are going.... but you didn't hear that from me.

As for a curve ball.... maybe they want a female targeted station in the cluster and maybe that's where Chadd and Kristi are going.... but you didn't hear that from me.

Does this mean the curve ball is that Play 98.7 is coming back? I enjoyed that station, before I got into enjoying 93.3 and 101.5 (then hating 101.5). Although Kramer can't be brought back and the other 2 co-hosts came back for another station, and that is WPOI/HOT 101.5, maybe Chadd & Kristi could be the new morning show there (if it happens)?

I don't see "Play" coming back. However, look at the current Beasley cluster and let me know how they capture the Women 18-34 or Women 25-54 demographic. Maybe a bit in the older demos with Q105 but I don't know... I'm guessing Cox (94.9, 101.5, and 105.5) and iHeart (93.3 and 100.7) dominate in that area. Adding 98.7 as an AC slices that pie up again.... and the only way you get an audience over there is with established talent. However, no way can the market handle that many female leaning AC and CHRs. At least one won't last. Now with 95.7 clearly dominating the urban adult audience, flipping to some sort of urban that attacks them seems to be the easiest route to scoring an audience for 98.7... while at the same time creating a sales combo with 94.1.

First, pardon my ignorance. And the length of this post.

Face it 98.7, you're never going to be a major signal in this market again if playing music is in your sights.

When the wheel finally stops spinning, I say just give up and go back to Sports/Talk and..

-Take steps to clear Colin Cowherd live in his actual time slot.
-Steal that show away from WHBO and clear it live, and while we're at it just air the other national FOX Sports programming.
-During the season, lock up and air the Westwood One Sports out-of-market NFL games WHPT was airing this past season.
-Compete with 'DAE and their translator effort to sit on FM and fry eggs in the background, at 95.3.

Compete how? Compete by just actually existing.
-Displaced NFL and College fans will find you on the weekend, when they're hoping to catch their team's matchups. Perfect time to air that Fuccillo Kia spot of week. Gold & Diamond Source will want all over that too.
-Cowherd fans will find you. Without having to flip to AM. Without having to stream it.
-Those seeking Fox Sports programs will find you.

And if they don't? You're 98.7 Holmes Beach, who cares?!

Say no to high billing and Nielsen points (not just because of the Bubba situation) unless you lock-in a translator or two in strategic spots. Even then, its very much a toss up of money, hopes and dreams and what-not. (But you're 98.7, c'mon you can do this!!)

Beasley does have Sports on in other markets, just probably not on major FM signals. But they're doing Sports/Talk on 99.3 in Fort Myers. (There are some cheap-and/or-free fill-in programming potentials there, no?)

At the end of the day, 98.7, you're better off with "Barters+The Live Spots" than "Bubba The Love Sponge" or, really any music format you might hope to jump in with.

So flip to Sports/Talk, snag what translators this market can still provide that are left, then stay the course, and leave WHBO to figure out what it should do next. They can stay with NBC, or create-their-own sports programming. Genesis already specializes at simulcasting whatever the other market's sister station is doing, while they figure out what bartered or automated format they should air in-place next. (Remember that DirecTV campaign? Don't be WHBO-Rob Lowe.)

We now return to the current state of this forum, brought to you by today's advances in other media technologies, and by unfortunate consolidation practices.

Stay classy, radio.

Byron

So flip to Sports/Talk, snag what translators this market can still provide that are left, then stay the course, and leave WHBO to figure out what it should do next.

Stay classy, radio.

Byron

You have a few interesting points, but keep in mind that a commercial FM (unlike Non-commercial FM) may not legally own or have any financial interest in any translators that extends service beyond its license service contours. The FM station MAY, however, own a translator that serves as a "fill-in" service where the licensed contour may have nulls due to terrain or other factors. The "fill-in" rule is used by many broadcasters to use translators to re-broadcast its HD2 or HD3 signal as a "fill-in" service. I. E., the translator's service contour may not extend beyond the main FM licensed service contour.

Last edited:
Beasley could, of course, relay 98.7 on an HD subchannel of another station, like Q-105, and translate the HD signal. Pretty sure iHeart is (or was) doing that with Rumba.

Cox is doing it with 102.5 and 97.1 as each appears on the other's HD2. Why more stations aren't utilizing the HD2 is beyond me. If you educated the public about it (because a lot of new cars have it) people would learn. Rumba is on 103.5 HD and Throwback is on 100.7 HD2.... but they never promote that on either's main analog frequencies so most people never realize it (even if they have the receiver for it).

Beasley could, of course, relay 98.7 on an HD subchannel of another station, like Q-105, and translate the HD signal. Pretty sure iHeart is (or was) doing that with Rumba.

Yes, of course Beasley can do that indirectly.

Donald is gone and now Beasley launches B 98.7 today's hits and yesterday's favorites.

As in "Plan B"? Maybe not, as I'd imagine Beasley was in talks with Chadd/Kristi for a little while. I see it doing just as well as every other attempt on this frequency. In other words, we'll be seeing Santa 98.7 again in a year or two.

Though it takes guts to go after WDUV, Magic, and Mix, (all three are well established with big, full market signals) none of them have anything to worry about from B 98.7.

Last edited:
I have not listened, but the description given here sounds much like the former Play 98.7.

It's probably closer to the current Magic 94.9. IIRC Play was more focused on currents, minus much of the Hip-Hop, as an "Adult CHR". (I don't recall any 80's gold on Play, for example).

B 98.7 seems to be pretty heavy on the gold (almost in Q105 territory).

From the last hour or so, most recently played first:

Starship-Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now

Daniel Powter- Bad Day

Journey- Faithfully

Taylor Swift- Bad Blood

Denise Williams- Let's Hear It For The Boy

Adele- Set Fire To The Rain

Madonna- Dress You Up

Justin Bieber- Love Yourself

The Outfield- Your Love

Beyonce- Single Ladies

Chicago - Hard To Say I'm Sorry

Miley Cyrus- Party in the U.S.A.

U2- With Or Without You

Seems to be 80's, 2000's, 80's, 2000's.....

Last edited:
.......doesn't make much sense, an already supersaturated format and they think somehow Chad and Kristi are a magic pill. This smells like Play with lower expectations or an oh shit IHR beat us to the point. The interesting thing is a little bird from Ohio told me this isn't done (you could read alot into that right there) so whats the next move in the chess game.

Again another missed opportunity for someone to get out of the box and "Make Radio Great Again" Congrats Justin Chase on more of the same regurgitated crap. Old man Beasley would be proud.

Any bets on where Bubba goes? I would hate to be on the receiving end of his anger. I think it could be likely he would sacrifice Ft Myers if it meant he could get back at (insert favorite Beasley manager here) LOL

We now return you to boring corporate playlist of Justin Chase programming superstar.
(this should stir the pot)
LOL @ Plan B (I see the Play on Play there)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom