Santa 98.7
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Santa 98.7

Santa 98.7

Hey guys. I was just flipping through the radio and I noticed that 98.7 is now Santa 98.7. I found that to be interesting. Is that a temporary format or are they changing formats again?
    Austin

just saw on Inside Radio Bubba's out of WBRN and a format shift in the works, funny that no note was made about Christmas music but it sure is.

..and with that Tampa now has 3 "All Christmas" stations. Joy (as usual), WDUV (back after a bit of a hiatus), and WBRN.

Any guesses on the new format (if any....)? Not too many holes left in the Tampa market.

I'm guessing (since Beasley is keeping Bubba on in Ft. Myers) it'll be a format Bubba's show doesn't fit, so most flavors of Rock are out (too many players in the market anyhow). Hot AC (PLAY 98.7) and Sports (The Fan) both failed under CBS Radio's watch. Classic Hip Hop/R&B maybe?

A variant of throwback hip hop would seem logical, since WBTP is just sitting there at #2 with no real competitor targeting the AA audience. Model it after Beasley's recent acquisitions in Boston and Detroit and I think it would do well.

mostly St. Petersburg,FL (2nd listening post is extreme eastern Hernando county Florida)
    From the TTBT newsite:

"His future in the Tampa Bay market is unclear after the announcement. "Beasley has elected to perform a format change," Clem's lawyer, Todd Foster. said on Monday. "If you turn on the channel now you'll hear Christmas music. After the new year, it will be a new music format."

Please, classic/throwback hip-hop.

Eh, I'll welcome the change. The Christmas music selection on WDUV for some reason dried up last year.

The question I have is, Beasley is his uplink for distribution to his other affiliates, so how is that happening after 2016 when the contract expires?

Wouldn't "throwback hip hop" damage their own WLLD? Most of the songs that those stations play were originally heard on WLLD and a lot of those listeners are still with them.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RMarino View Post
    Wouldn't "throwback hip hop" damage their own WLLD? Most of the songs that those stations play were originally heard on WLLD and a lot of those listeners are still with them.
    I don't think so. Since the average listener shares time with about 6 radio stations each week, it would keep more listeners "in the house" by offering alternative formats. Many of the most successful clusters have overlaps in format style or even many of the same songs.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast