• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Santa 98.7

austingrace

Leading Participant
Hey guys. I was just flipping through the radio and I noticed that 98.7 is now Santa 98.7. I found that to be interesting. Is that a temporary format or are they changing formats again?

just saw on Inside Radio Bubba's out of WBRN and a format shift in the works, funny that no note was made about Christmas music but it sure is.

..and with that Tampa now has 3 "All Christmas" stations. Joy (as usual), WDUV (back after a bit of a hiatus), and WBRN.

Any guesses on the new format (if any....)? Not too many holes left in the Tampa market.

I'm guessing (since Beasley is keeping Bubba on in Ft. Myers) it'll be a format Bubba's show doesn't fit, so most flavors of Rock are out (too many players in the market anyhow). Hot AC (PLAY 98.7) and Sports (The Fan) both failed under CBS Radio's watch. Classic Hip Hop/R&B maybe?

A variant of throwback hip hop would seem logical, since WBTP is just sitting there at #2 with no real competitor targeting the AA audience. Model it after Beasley's recent acquisitions in Boston and Detroit and I think it would do well.

From the TTBT newsite:

"His future in the Tampa Bay market is unclear after the announcement. "Beasley has elected to perform a format change," Clem's lawyer, Todd Foster. said on Monday. "If you turn on the channel now you'll hear Christmas music. After the new year, it will be a new music format."

Eh, I'll welcome the change. The Christmas music selection on WDUV for some reason dried up last year.

The question I have is, Beasley is his uplink for distribution to his other affiliates, so how is that happening after 2016 when the contract expires?

Wouldn't "throwback hip hop" damage their own WLLD? Most of the songs that those stations play were originally heard on WLLD and a lot of those listeners are still with them.

Wouldn't "throwback hip hop" damage their own WLLD? Most of the songs that those stations play were originally heard on WLLD and a lot of those listeners are still with them.

I don't think so. Since the average listener shares time with about 6 radio stations each week, it would keep more listeners "in the house" by offering alternative formats. Many of the most successful clusters have overlaps in format style or even many of the same songs.

I'd imagine a Classic Hip-Hop/R&B 98.7 would probably be aimed more at the 25-54 set (closer to an Urban AC). Think FLZ vs. Mix.

I am so afraid of what ideas Beasley about 98.7. If Bubba was the best they had to offer, I wonder what is next.

Hey look, another reason not to listen to radio in Tampa. Can we just go ahead and admit radio is dead and bloated here. The last two somewhat interesting things to happen (in my opinion) were Thunder and the debut format on Bubba 98.7. I actually listened to the radio everyday when Bubba was playing the mixed bag format, Power Pig hello, etc. I turned my radio off and haven't turned it back on ever since the bottom feeding scumbags at Beasley decided to opt for the warmed over rehashed bro-rock format. They can suck... Well you know... They can just suck it all night. There is absolutely nothing good left on the radio, except maybe Coast to Coast, which is also a shell of it's former self.

Bob Lassiter was right, I have nothing but contempt for radio programmers and executives. These people are absolute scum. How many businesses last 100 years and remain relevant, radio could have remained relevant for another 100 years but these soulless buffoons sucked fun and excitement out of the medium. I spent ten years on the fringe of the business, and it was just as depressing and toxic as I expected. I'd rather listen to two goats f***, than listen to whatever God awful format Beasley is putting on 98.7. Ok, Merry Christmas! :)

LOL the radio in Tampa kills Orlando. 105.9 is that jam for sure. I love the old rap on the radio. q 105 ftw as well. Love that channel.

Well their moniker is "Making Radio Great Again" With the voice of The Donald or a great imitation, not sure.
Playing oldies rock before 80's I would say.

Last edited:
Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing" and Pink Floyd's "Money" are part of the stunt playlist.
Looking at the article on the other "radio" site, I expected 98.7 Donald-FM to air non-stop Trump/Pence rallies, both pre and post-election...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom