How To Fix AM Radio - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Fix AM Radio

Quote Originally Posted by KeithE4 View Post
    That would describe every AM station in metro Phoenix at night. Not even KFYI and KTAR put a clear signal into the far east valley.
    It describes many markets, the largest with zero full coverage stations is DC. In all, the the top 100 markets there are just about 175 stations that cover at least 80% of the market area day and night. That is an average of less than two stations per market. Some markets like New York and Chicago have multiple full coverage facilities, meaning other markets may have one or none.

The FRC and the FCC never envisioned urban sprawl when they did revamps of the AM allocation system (which dates back 99 years!) and they certainly did not recognize man made interference. But most of all, their dedication to "local" service made the idea of lots of little local stations instead of fewer strong area stations the guiding light of the regulators.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Except that the government has basically stopped protecting the spectrum. In fact one Commissioner has suggested turning over policing of pirates to the licensees.
    That works, but mostly where "rule of law" is more relaxed.

At the station I worked with in Argentina, we had a crew in a van that patrolled for pirates next to our frequency. The preferred tool was a bat, not a summons.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    In that particular case, they're going to use the frequency to program to a minority who is desperate for any kind of service, even if the audio quality is bad.
    But in the case of KFWB, the "minority" is actually the largest single group of people in Los Angeles, and there are nearly 20 signals, including 5 Class B FMs, serving the segment.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

At the station I worked with in Argentina, we had a crew in a van that patrolled for pirates next to our frequency. The preferred tool was a bat, not a summons.
    A little frontier justice with a Louisville Slugger would probably work well here! The thought of this has all the makings of a CKLW 20/20 newscast.
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    The Middle Eastern Men of the Media
    Buckeye, AZ

Don't have a clue? Then hire us - we've been clueless for decades and can relate!

"Proceeded to bat 1000 on the pirate's head.....

Quote Originally Posted by DrAkbar View Post
    A little frontier justice with a Louisville Slugger would probably work well here! The thought of this has all the makings of a CKLW 20/20 newscast.

I think AM provides an opportunity for Community Based radio that many have been seeking
    for so long.

Turn the band into a giant graveyard. Nondirectional stations at 100W-1kW that will be cheap to operate. If they interfere with each other at the margins, oh well. Then these community-based organizations that have been criping about the inability to get space on the dial can finally have their wish.
    Last edited by FreddyE1977; 12-14-2016 at 11:37 AM. Reason: line spacing issues

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyE1977 View Post
    I think AM provides an opportunity for Community Based radio that many have been seeking
    for so long.
    The problem is the expense. FM is so much cheaper, and you can throw an antenna up anywhere. AM needs a lot of land.

Right now a lot of non profits can't even handle LPFM. They just do emails.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyE1977 View Post

Turn the band into a giant graveyard.
    Darned close to that now.

Nondirectional stations at 100W-1kW that will be cheap to operate. If they interfere with each other at the margins, oh well.
    I'm sure I ♥ Debt, Salem, TMISU, Hubbard, et al, will buy into that. NOT.
    One of the nasty things about Ancient Modulation is nighttime skywave. Even 100 watts can wreak more havoc than a leaking rear main seal on our '76 Gremlin. YIKES!
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    The Middle Eastern Men of the Media
    Buckeye, AZ

Don't have a clue? Then hire us - we've been clueless for decades and can relate!

Quote Originally Posted by DrAkbar View Post
    Darned close to that now.

I'm sure I ♥ Debt, Salem, TMISU, Hubbard, et al, will buy into that. NOT.
    One of the nasty things about Ancient Modulation is nighttime skywave. Even 100 watts can wreak more havoc than a leaking rear main seal on our '76 Gremlin. YIKES!
    One needs to only listen to 1230 to hear the results of that experiment. With stations spaced 75 miles apart, bumping the nighttime power up to 1kW did that signal no favors, and it wasn't good even in the days of the mighty KRIZ.

The answer to saving AM is letting dying stations die and not replace them.

I would take the FM translator push one step further: once you put your translator on, sign off the AM for good. The only way to clean up Ancient Modulation is to get stations that shouldn't have been built off of it.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

Thanks for bringing back fond memories of the '76 Gremlin though.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast