• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Canada's #1 All-News Station

News24/7

New Participating Member
In Canada, we currently have 5 all-news stations: News1130, 680News, 660News, iNews880 and Canada 360. Which is #1 in Canada in your opinion? Explain to me. I love to hear all your comments.

Canada 360 is not a broadcast station, so you can't count that. It's an auditory channel on Sirius XM.
680 News is probably the top ranked station in the country, reach and share are far higher than anyone else. It's one of the most listened to stations in the country's largest city. 1130 does very well in Vancouver but that city is less than half the population than Toronto. The other 2 are licensed to cities with less than half the population of Vancouver, 660 does well, but 880 has had a very difficult time getting an audience, and has never been above a 2 share.

I have to agree, 680 news is the best.
So good that all other Rogers owned AM stations that are even close to a news format can borrow content from 680 when necessary, to avoid paying extra staff to run those stations.
You'll notice one good example to be News 1310, which borrows Peter Gross from 680 to do sports in the morning.
(News 1310 Ottawa and News 570 Kitchener are not counted on the list of all news stations because they only run the news wheel for morning and afternoon drive. It's talk shows the rest of the time.)

I have to agree, 680 news is the best.
So good that all other Rogers owned AM stations that are even close to a news format can borrow content from 680 when necessary, to avoid paying extra staff to run those stations.
You'll notice one good example to be News 1310, which borrows Peter Gross from 680 to do sports in the morning.
(News 1310 Ottawa and News 570 Kitchener are not counted on the list of all news stations because they only run the news wheel for morning and afternoon drive. It's talk shows the rest of the time.)

1310 News also uses a lot of 680's reporters although they do have some of their own. Occasionally the edit is bad and you'll hear "680 news" after a reporter's report. The afternoon sports also comes out of Toronto, which explains why there is no mention at all of the Ottawa Fury, or the Ottawa Champions when they have a game, let alone a score. You might get lucky to hear about the REDBLACKS but burried towards the end. Gotta get that out of season hockey news on first! Rogers kind of gave up on 1310 after a short while but with the addition of a local talk show in the early afternoon, that's bumped up the numbers...especially since the host (Carole Anne Meehan) was a beloved anchor for CJOH tv for years, and some people still haven't forgiven them for firing her. I had a friend who worked for the station until they dropped the 24 hour news format and she said everyone who worked at 1310 dreamed of going over to 680.

I want to know if anyone get the most current figures about how many people listen to 3 all-news stations in Canada.

American here!

I thought these were national radio networks (based on the AM frequency in Toronto) at first, then realized that they are local all-news AM stations.

Nothing out-of-the-ordinary as 3 are Rogers stations in the Big 3 Anglo markets. CBS Radio (later acquired by Entercom in late 2017; recently rebranded Audacy) was the equivalent of Rogers in the U.S. but with more all-news stations in a handful of major cities.

They still have the monopoly on the pure all-news format (not to be confused with the similar News-Talk format iHeart prefers like here in Houston; since Ottawa and Kitchener were brought up) and are still affiliated with CBS News Radio after the separation for network top-of-the-hour reports and national breaking news/special event coverage.

American here!

I thought these were national radio networks (based on the AM frequency in Toronto) at first, then realized that they are local all-news AM stations.

Nothing out-of-the-ordinary as 3 are Rogers stations in the Big 3 Anglo markets. CBS Radio (later acquired by Entercom in late 2017; recently rebranded Audacy) was the equivalent of Rogers in the U.S. but with more all-news stations in a handful of major cities.

They still have the monopoly on the pure all-news format (not to be confused with the similar News-Talk format iHeart prefers like here in Houston; since Ottawa and Kitchener were brought up) and are still affiliated with CBS News Radio after the separation for network top-of-the-hour reports and national breaking news/special event coverage.

Well, those three Rogers stations are planning to become CityNews stations, just like how Corus has Global News Radio on its News/Talk stations (except for Edmonton where CHQT uses it for its all-news station while the News/Talker 630 CHED is just... 630 CHED).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom