• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Australia: Another one bites the dust

Ai4i, you don't need a postal code with that map. Zoom in on the map and you'll see the communities, and then you can type in a name of a community...
the max for AM stations seems to be 50 KW.
You are correct, but they do it in an awkward way, showing one groundwave at a time.
One map of Oz with different colored blotches to indicate the different services would be nice, or one for AM, one for FM, and one for DAB.
I believe all the ABC FM's in any area are located on common sites and have the same coverages.
I wish those big AM's would be directional toward the kangaroos and dingos.

Last edited:
You are correct, but they do it in an awkward way, showing one groundwave at a time.
One map of Oz with different colored blotches to indicate the different services would be nice, or one for AM, one for FM, and one for DAB.
I believe all the ABC FM's in any area are located on common sites and have the same coverages.
I wish those big AM's would be directional toward the kangaroos and dingos.

The two AM stations I saw that seemed to have the biggest coverage were ABC outlet 5AN in Adelaide and the ABC outlet in Melbourne. Their tertiary coverage covers a couple states. But doesn't seem to reach too far into the Outback -- but possibly they do quite well if you have a good radio.

High powered AM's near "The Allice" would be nice for night time coverage throughout the Outback,
and Pricilla, Queen of the Desert would love it, too!

High powered AM's near "The Allice" would be nice for night time coverage throughout the Outback,
and Pricilla, Queen of the Desert would love it, too!

I hear ya. They could put a 50 kilowatter and beam it mostly north, and perhaps cover most of the northern Outback at night. Look at the coverage some stations get at night here in the U.S.

But if they're so cheap they want to save $1.5 million a year by cutting the low SW band stations they had at Katherine Creek (?), they won't add any MW coverage either. I think it comes down to urban bureaucrats being completely out of touch with rural people. They think everywhere is the same.

The bill to reinstate shortwave services was introduced / read at the Australian Parliament on Monday. It will, if passed, modify the Australian Broadcasting Act. It will be interesting to see how far this gets:

http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary...ation/Bills_Search_Results/Result?bId=s1055. 

Australian Broadcasting Act 1983

Item 1 - After section 27
4. This item inserts a new section 27A into the Australian Broadcasting Act 1983
5. Subsection (1) of new section 27A states that the Corporation must maintain three domestic shortwave transmission services providing wide area coverage across the Northern Territory which will broadcast the proximate local radio service. The Corporation will be required to maintain at least three domestic shortwave transmission services which were operating up until the cessation of the domestic shortwave transmission on 31 January 2017.
6. Subsection (2) of new section 27A states that the Corporation must maintain an international shortwave transmission service for Papua New Guinea and parts of the Pacific which will use at least three transmitters and broadcast the Corporation’s international service. This subsection also requires the Corporation to broadcast in the relevant language that it is broadcasting to. This clause ensures that people in those regions have access to important news, weather and emergency information.

Add another one to the shortwave obituaries: Multiple sources in the SWDX community report that Radio Tirana (Albania) is throwing in the towel. The station has apparently been off the air for several weeks due to the failure of its one remaining transmitter. It had been suffering from reduced power and bad modulation for over six months. Seems the Albanian state broadcaster RTSH has neither the money or the expertise to get things working again.

Add another one to the shortwave obituaries: Multiple sources in the SWDX community report that Radio Tirana (Albania) is throwing in the towel. The station has apparently been off the air for several weeks due to the failure of its one remaining transmitter. It had been suffering from reduced power and bad modulation for over six months. Seems the Albanian state broadcaster RTSH has neither the money or the expertise to get things working again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFRYKDF2kxs

This excellent collection of vintage interval signals begins with Radio Tirana's, a tune as mournful as conditions must have been in that country under the regime of Enver Hoxha. If you were listening to this station then, you knew all about Mr. Hoxha, as his every pronouncement and meeting was described in detail in what passed for newscasts, much as Radio Sofia devoted an inordinate amount of airtime to the comings and goings of Bulgaria's strongman, Todor Zhivkov.

RIP, Radio Tirana.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom