Radio Australia: Another one bites the dust
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio Australia: Another one bites the dust

Radio Australia: Another one bites the dust

They're ending all "outdated" (their words) shortwave transmissions on January 31, 2017.

http://swling.com/blog/2016/12/radio...nuary-31-2017/
    We have to save the Earth! It's the only planet with football and beer.

I remember listening to Radio Australia on my then new Realistic
    Astronaut 8 radio. Sad to see the end of the service. The radio
    however, still works quite well, despite being about 45 years old........

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    Using a Lafayette HA 600 attached to a wire antenna along the ceilings and hallway of a Philly basement apartment, I got into DXing short wave around 1990 for reasons that I'm fairly sure made sense at the time.
    Usually, it was the 31-meter band. I even bought a plexiglass plate and little stickum strips and re-did the entire stock-issued Lafayette dial to * my * frequency-determination standards, hi.

Anyway, I spent quite a few early sunrises putting that gosh-darned dial together for Lafayette's 31-meter band. Radio Australia used to come in on 9710, 9770, 5995 and a few other frequencies here in the northeast US -- and as it was getting DAYLIGHT out!

That service will be missed, if so by only we DXers.

Boomed in like a local (well, as close as a station on the other side of the world could) on 9580 every morning when I was a pup and long afterward. I also used to listen to the weaker signal of VFW9 Perth, one of the ABC's regional outlets, on 9610.

Not much left now on SW other than the Bible blasters and the hams. How long does Cuba remain a presence with Fidel gone?

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Boomed in like a local (well, as close as a station on the other side of the world could) on 9580 every morning when I was a pup and long afterward. I also used to listen to the weaker signal of VFW9 Perth, one of the ABC's regional outlets, on 9610.
    I remember the ABC Perth station as well. IIRC, it was shut down sometime in the mid or late '80s.

Not much left now on SW other than the Bible blasters and the hams. How long does Cuba remain a presence with Fidel gone?
    I can still hear plenty of broadcasters on shortwave. Trouble is, I don't speak Chinese.

Another nail in the coffin for shortwave. One by one, great broadcasters are ending their transmissions. Yet Brother Stair is on 10 or 15 different channels at once!
    734 AM's in the log, 537 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: K243CK 96.5 Pendleton, OR (// KUMA-1290) 3/21/17
    Last New AM Log: KUKI-1400 Ukiah, CA 3/26/17

Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo View Post
    Another nail in the coffin for shortwave. One by one, great broadcasters are ending their transmissions. Yet Brother Stair is on 10 or 15 different channels at once!
    India is rumored to be the next to shut down. Nothing heard about New Zealand, but they're not a big presence to begin with.

It looks like that, by the end of the next decade, all that'll be left on shortwave will be American religious/brokered stations, the Chinese, and maybe Cuba (depends on who's in charge by then). Everybody else seems to be calling it quits. And, yes, the BBC and VOA will follow suit in the not-too-distant future. Nobody is going to operate expensive shortwave facilities unless they think there is a potential audience of more than just a few thousand hobbyists.

On a purely personal level, it's sad to see R. Australia go. Many pleasant memories of hearing them early mornings on 31 meters. But it's hard to argue the "outdated" rationale for them shutting down.

One of those memories was being in Iowa on a business trip with a work colleague. Over dinner one night, somehow we got to talking about SW. He knew what it was but had never had any personal experience. So the next morning, I pulled out my YB 400 in the hotel parking lot, and gave him a demo of R. Australia on 31m, blasting in like a local! He was blown away that something coming from that far away could be so clear and so easy to tune in.
    Owner of a radio receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green NEPA View Post
    Using a Lafayette HA 600...
    That was my first "worldband" receiver, which preceeded that word by a couple decades, but sadly I disposed of it at the worst possible time, just before the Iron Curtain turned to rust and South Africa was reborn. I wonder if I would have been happier with the portability of a Satillit or Transoceanic, but I do not believe those radios included all of the higher day bands which I enjoyed, when they are in, they are in. 9580 is or was good because they beam(ed) toward the mid Pacific, precisely the right direction to hit North America on their third and fourth hops. Somebody, please tell me if the 120, 90, and especially the 60 meter tropical bands are still active.
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithE4 View Post
    Trouble is, I don't speak Chinese.
    这是中国广播国际广播到北美
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

Quote Originally Posted by ai4i View Post
    Somebody, please tell me if the 120, 90, and especially the 60 meter tropical bands are still active.
    Don't know about 120, but there are still some stations on 90 and 60, including US religious/brokered stations. The days of the multitude of Latin Americans on those bands are coming to an end, if they haven't already.

这是中国广播国际广播到北美
    ¿Que?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast