A question about 77 WABC and their calls... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A question about 77 WABC and their calls...

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg. View Post
    I
    This is now. Different owners can have the same call sign. When Park communications sold its NYC-area stations, 930 WPAT was bought by one company (Multicultural Broadcasting) and 93.1 WPAT-FM was bought by another company (Spanish Broadcasting Service). I'd say these days, if both companies value the call letters, they keep them, despite whatever confusion may arise. In these cases, I don't think any additional money changes hands because Company A is selling its AM to Company B and its FM to Company C. Each price is negotiated separately.
    This is a matter of consent, and does not always involve money. When WPAT (AM) was sold to Heftel there was no requirement or request to change call letters. So they remained the same.

When famous calls are allowed to stay the same after a local market split, it is usually part of the deal. That was the case between Disney and Citadel which allowed heritage radio calls to remain under the new owners. In this case, it is likely that Citadel insisted on keeping the calls as they were an important asset.

Where money is often involved is with desired calls in use on a different service. WMIA-FM is nice for Miami, but WMIA in Arecibo, PR had the calls for an AM only. The station in Miami, owned then by Clear Channel, reached a deal to share the calls and filed with the FCC.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Not directly. The change came about because of ownership. At the time, the station was owned by RKO General. The sale happened around the same time the station was required to move to Secaucus NJ. When RKO sold the station to MCA (actually Cox & MCA), they were required to apply for new call letters.
    WOR-TV had its COL moved from New York City to Secaucus in 1983. Less than four years later, RKO sold the station to the short-lived MCA-Universal/Cox joint venture.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo-Smokes View Post
    WOR-TV had its COL moved from New York City to Secaucus in 1983. Less than four years later, RKO sold the station to the short-lived MCA-Universal/Cox joint venture.
    My point was the call letter change happened after the sale, not because of the change of location.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234