A question about 77 WABC and their calls... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question about 77 WABC and their calls...

Quote Originally Posted by KeithE4 View Post
    Interesting. When Cumulus/WLS-AM/FM was spun off from ABC, I thought I read that the reason that Disney could keep the WLS-TV calls on Channel 7 was because they had trademarked the call letters. Otherwise, they would have had to change it to WMVP-TV.
    Since the radio stations were being sold, they would be the ones who would need to obtain new calls.

As far as the FCC is concerned, the licensee of WABC (AM) controls the calls. If there is a contrary agreement it's not an FCC issue. If WABC was called upon to give up the calls, and WABC refused, the parties would hash it out in court but the FCC wouldn't get involved

Quote Originally Posted by gr8oldies View Post
    As far as the FCC is concerned, the licensee of WABC (AM) controls the calls. If there is a contrary agreement it's not an FCC issue. If WABC was called upon to give up the calls, and WABC refused, the parties would hash it out in court but the FCC wouldn't get involved
    That's not what the rule says:

"Where an application is granted by the FCC for transfer or assignment of the construction permit or license of a station whose existing call sign conforms to that of a commonly-owned station not part of the transaction, the new licensee of the transferred or assigned station shall expeditiously request a different call sign, unless consent to retain the conforming call sign has been obtained from the primary holder and from the licensee of any other station that may be using such conforming call sign."

So the rule says WABC-AM would need to request a different call sign. What we're saying is consent was obtained.

The FCC loosened their call sign restrictions during their 1980s wave of deregulation.

A few examples of this are Channel 8 in Cleveland (WJKW-TV) allowed to revert back to a three-letter call–WJW-TV–after its former sister radio station dropped it in 1985, after an ownership change. And a few years later in Chicago, Group W was allowed to keep WMAQ (AM) at 670 AM after buying the station from NBC, who retained WMAQ-TV for Chicago's Channel 5.

And BTW, a reminder: there are now, and never have been radio stations with an "-AM" suffix. The FCC and the trades traditionally use (AM), albeit unofficially.
    Last edited by Rollo-Smokes; 12-09-2016 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo-Smokes View Post
    The FCC loosened their call sign restrictions during their 1980s wave of deregulation.
    TTBOMK the FCC was not involved in the WABC call letters. All they needed was consent from Disney, as stated in the rule, and they got it.

FTR: WABC is not the station's original call sign. It's original call sign was WJZ, which was re-claimed by Westinghouse for its TV station in Baltimore (originally WAAM).
    WABC is the original call sign of WCBS.

Well, when I lived in DC back in the 1980's, I remember two oddities.
    One was a Baltimore station that all throughout the hour would brand themself (or themselves) as WMIX.
    WMIX this, WMIX that, WMIX the other thing, but at the top of each hour they would softly remind everyone that
    "WMIX is WWMX, Baltimore".
    Could WWMX have done that if there were a real (and uncooperative) WMIX somewhere out there?

Case two:
    WRC this, WRC that, WRC the other thing.
    Again, at the top of each hour, it was:
    (big loud drumroll and fanfair)
    Ladies and gentlemen, you're listening to the station of the stars, wWRC, Washington"
    Well, in that case, the only station that could have complained would have been TV channel four in DC.
    Last edited by ai4i; 12-09-2016 at 10:56 PM.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

Quote Originally Posted by ai4i View Post
    Could WWMX have done that if there were a real (and uncooperative) WMIX somewhere out there?
    The "real WMIX" is in Mount Vernon IL. As long as it's not in the same market, and you don't use it as the legal call, you're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ai4i View Post
    Well, in that case, the only station that could have complained would have been TV channel four in DC.
    The story about that goes back to when the two stations were owned by NBC. In 1984 Greater Media bought 980AM from NBC. NBC kept the TV and the WRC call letters. Greater Media couldn't keep the original 3 letter calls after the sale, so they added the extra W (in the same way that WWOR TV in NY added the W). As part of the sale, they got consent from NBC to market the station as WRC, although the legal call has the extra W. Of course since then, those letters have migrated to 570 AM, and WTEM is now on that frequency.
    Last edited by TheBigA; 12-09-2016 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    The "real WMIX" is in Mount Vernon IL. As long as it's not in the same market, and you don't use it as the legal call, you're fine.

The story about that goes back to when the two stations were owned by NBC. In 1984 Greater Media bought 980AM from NBC. NBC kept the TV and the WRC call letters. Greater Media couldn't keep the original 3 letter calls after the sale, so they added the extra W (in the same way that WWOR TV in NY added the W). As part of the sale, they got consent from NBC to market the station as WRC, although the legal call has the extra W. Of course since then, those letters have migrated to 570 AM, and WTEM is now on that frequency.
    I thought WWOR came about because they had to move the station license to New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by semoochie View Post
    I thought WWOR came about because they had to move the station license to New Jersey.
    Not directly. The change came about because of ownership. At the time, the station was owned by RKO General. The sale happened around the same time the station was required to move to Secaucus NJ. When RKO sold the station to MCA (actually Cox & MCA), they were required to apply for new call letters.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast