Why was 1010 WINS rated #1 in US' all news radio market? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Why was 1010 WINS rated #1 in US' all news radio market?

  1. #11
    Because the station is in the country's largest market. WINS has a 4.7 share; KYW a 5.1. But if KYW were in New York with its current cume, its share would be about 2.5.

  2. #12
    Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    34,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Madison View Post
    Because the station is in the country's largest market. WINS has a 4.7 share; KYW a 5.1. But if KYW were in New York with its current cume, its share would be about 2.5.
    Cume alone is not the basis for share. Cume and time spent listening are.

    If KYW had the same average quarter hour persons but were it in New York City, it would have a 1.8 and be 22nd.

    However, were KYW to be measured correctly against WINS irrespective of market population, you would always look at share. In this case, KYW reaches a higher percentage of Philly residents in the average quarter hour than the comparable reach of WINS.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  3. #13
    Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    34,683
    Quote Originally Posted by News24/7 View Post
    Listeners. If not, why anchors always say "More people get their news from 1010 WINS than from any other station"?
    Of course they do not specify the market, area or even whether the claim is just based on "radio listeners". As such, it is puffery based on the fact that there are only two news stations in NYC and WINS leads in share.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Area Code 305
    Posts
    3,585
    Quote Originally Posted by News24/7 View Post
    ..."More people get their news from..."?
    Blah, blah, blah!
    Figures lie when liars figure?
    Last edited by ai4i; 12-09-2016 at 10:21 PM.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    Cume alone is not the basis for share. Cume and time spent listening are.

    If KYW had the same average quarter hour persons but were it in New York City, it would have a 1.8 and be 22nd.

    However, were KYW to be measured correctly against WINS irrespective of market population, you would always look at share. In this case, KYW reaches a higher percentage of Philly residents in the average quarter hour than the comparable reach of WINS.
    As usual, you miss the point. Any station with decent numbers in New York can claim to have the most listeners in its category.

  6. #16
    Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    34,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Madison View Post
    As usual, you miss the point. Any station with decent numbers in New York can claim to have the most listeners in its category.
    You can't make a point about share/AQH persons if you use cume numbers for comparison. So your point was not made as you were referencing the wrong data.

    In other words, to make it clear, there was no point made so none to miss.

    And my point is that KYW, with a 5.1 in Philly over-performs WINS with a 4.7 in New York. That is because is listened to at any given time by a higher percentage of the local market than its New York City sister station.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 12-10-2016 at 04:37 PM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  7. #17
    I believe WINS is using cume numbers, which means, in a given week, more people tune to WINS for news than any other radio station in the U.S. I suppose WCBS is #2, even though, as stated above, WTOP's quarter hour ratings are the best in the format nationally. NYC is such a large market that in just about any format you could name, the top NYC station is the top station in the nation. I suppose WHTZ is the nation's most listened-to Top 40, WLTW is the most listened-to AC, WBLS is the most listened-to Urban AC.

    I was surprised a few months ago to find KPLX Dallas is the nation's most listened-to Country station. A Dallas station has the highest cume nationally? How could that be?

    The Country outlets in Market #1 NYC and Market #2 LA are poorly rated. In Market #3, Chicago's WUSN now has strong competition from a new iHeart Country station so its ratings are down. There is no Country station in #4 San Francisco. So KPLX is the winner, in Market #5. It does have competition but there are so many Country listeners in Dallas that KPLX is still the top Country station in cume in the U.S. At one time, WYNY in NYC, despite poor ratings, was still the nation's top country station. But today, NYC Country outlet WNSH does even worse. It's only ranked around #4 or 5 in cume nationally.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us