Why was 1010 WINS rated #1 in US' all news radio market?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why was 1010 WINS rated #1 in US' all news radio market?

Why was 1010 WINS rated #1 in US' all news radio market?

I found that, 1010 WINS is No.1 all-news station in the USA. I want to hear your opinion about it. My own is, 1010 WINS is all news 24/7. They don't broadcast any sports, CBS shows and others. Just news, weather and traffic updates for New Yorkers.

Who rated it #1?

Quote Originally Posted by News24/7 View Post
    I found that, 1010 WINS is No.1 all-news station in the USA. I want to hear your opinion about it. My own is, 1010 WINS is all news 24/7. They don't broadcast any sports, CBS shows and others. Just news, weather and traffic updates for New Yorkers.
    That's been their mission or simple focus or whatever you wanna call it for 50+ years. I think its one of a few only true all-news radio stations left since the others air CBS Radio's related shows like Weekend Roundup and a simulcast of 60 Minutes, but WINS never airs any of that.
    The Changing Newscasts Blog... The Latest News about Local Newscasts.

Roly Ortega (Twitter: @itsRoly4266)
    Blogposter for The Changing Newscasts Blog.
    E-mail: roly4266@live.com
    Twitter: @ChangeNewsBlog | #ChangingNewscasts
    Facebook: "The Changing Newscasts Blog"
    The Changing Newscasts Chat Room, powered by tlk.io
    The Changing Newscasts Wiki

It's the #1 news station in NYC because the folks at CBS designed it to focus on Manhattan and the Boroughs because that is where they have a good signal. WCBS, with better suburban coverage but not as much signal over the City, takes a slightly different approach. They purposely try to be different, and one of the objectives is to make up for the areas in the metro where WINS does not have a decent signal. Interestingly, WCBS outbills WINS, which is quite understandable.

From my perspective, the #1 News station in the US is WTOP. It averages a 9.4 (multi-book average) while WINS averages a 4.3. No contest there.

Does WINS reach more people? Sure. But it's in a market that is almost exactly three times larger. More than double the percentage of DC listeners are tuning WTOP at any moment than are New York City listeners to WINS. In fact, WTOP has a greater share than WINS and WCBS combined.

WTOP is also the highest billing radio station in the US. Beats WINS by more than 50%.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

It's the #1 news station in NYC because the folks at CBS designed it to focus on Manhattan and the Boroughs because that is where they have a good signal. WCBS, with better suburban coverage but not as much signal over the City, takes a slightly different approach. They purposely try to be different, and one of the objectives is to make up for the areas in the metro where WINS does not have a decent signal. Interestingly, WCBS outbills WINS, which is quite understandable.

From my perspective, the #1 News station in the US is WTOP. It averages a 9.4 (multi-book average) while WINS averages a 4.3. No contest there.

Does WINS reach more people? Sure. But it's in a market that is almost exactly three times larger. More than double the percentage of DC listeners are tuning WTOP at any moment than are New York City listeners to WINS. In fact, WTOP has a greater share than WINS and WCBS combined.

WTOP is also the highest billing radio station in the US. Beats WINS by more than 50%.
    In fact, WTOP has been top biller for a few years now. Not surprising considering how good WTOP really is.

Took a year off of the top spot in 2014 in favor of KIIS, but other than that, WTOP has been #1 for as long as I've been paying attention. Quite amazing for a station in market 7. Especially when the next highest biller in the market is in the lower $20 million ballpark.

Number one according to whom and based on what criteria? Without all that, the original post is meaningless. If this is only OP's personal preference, then potato potahtoe.

Listeners. If not, why anchors always say "More people get their news from 1010 WINS than from any other station"?

Listeners. If not, why anchors always say "More people get their news from 1010 WINS than from any other station"?
    Because they work for a New York City station, and the people they are referring to are listeners in the New York City market. Other cities might have "all-news" stations that also air sports play-by-play, network programming, talk, infomercials, whatever, and those stations may do very well in their own markets, but that's irrelevant to WINS' boast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCg8IjfH8ZM

1010 WINS got that Number one phrase from ABC News in 1997. See 1:15 of this clip from Nightline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZRTN-tJ89E

and KABC 7 in 1987. 1010 WINS got the phrase number one from ABC.
    Last edited by RadioPatrol; 12-09-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast