• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Delilah in the Hall!

I'll say the same! She has done a wonderful job with the dedications, the love stories and the callers struggling with their marriage or a family death. I'm surprised she gets 8,000,000 listeners/night. That number would rise if Warm (or even KAFE) would carry her show again. Doesn't make sense that her HOME market doesn't carry her.

So, you're saying that because she lives on Bainbridge Island that there is some obligation local stations should carry her show? That doesn't make sense.

Absolutely. The fact that she is successful is actually a testament to the NW, as someone can do it from here, or anywhere for that matter. That said, I can't think of any Seattle station that would be right for her programming right now. We'll see what KPLZ sounds like in the new year...

Larger market stations typically don't want to give up inventory for a show like this, nor would they want to pay for it either. I suspect Seattle/Tacoma stations see the ultimate cost of carrying Delila's show and for business reasons, have elected to pass. It has zero to do with whether she tracks the show from her home in the PNW. That, and I doubt most listeners know where she lives anyway, so that detail has no impact either.

Maybe KIXI will eventually pick her up. They already have John Tesh middays.

I've noticed while scanning the online dial she seems to be on more stations in the South and Midwest. I can see where her kind of program fits in those areas. But it's strange knowing she was once a nightly radio institution in Seattle, going back to her Lights Out days on KLSY.

She was dropped here in Nashville (by a female PD, no less) nearly five years ago. However, she is still on their sister station in Knoxville, so far as I know.

Nashville: PPM
Knoxville: Diary

The Queen of Sap, a personal and professional train wreck that got damn lucky if you ask me.

I do not have fond memories of her time in Boston at WVBF where she broke her contract and walked after refusing to do live reads for a "gentlemens club" or any place that served alcohol, and her time at WSSH was a disaster.... I warned the PD he was making a mistake and boy was I right.... she sank the station....

She used her oldest son as a prop on her WVBF show, making sure to let everyone know he was of mix race and playing her nightly call home when he was getting ready for bed..... gag me radio.

I was offered an on air spot at a south of Boston station and I would have had to follow her on Friday night... thank God they had a Board Op for that shift because if I had taken the gig I could not have stomached having to run the board for her endless freak show.

Some radio people just get lucky, they have a schtick ... and she sure has hers.

Speaking of which Bubba The Love Sponge just got Karma served to him in Tampa .... Neanderthal Radio at its finest has one less market, unfortunately for the time being Beasley is still running him here in Fort Myers

....or any place that served alcohol....

If she is completely against being associated with anything related to or having alcohol, an induction ceremony full of radio people in Las Vegas will be the ultimate test of her principles.

Considering many of her listeners of her show are often drowning their broken hearts in something alcoholic while listening to it, I'm shocked. And you're guaranteed to hear "Same Old Lang Syne" this time of year on her show (of which brazenly brags about buying a six pack of beer at the liquor store and drinking and driving on snowy roads.)

She does have some strong feelings about religion... or getting her way... maybe both.

She pulled her kids out of a local private school, run by a Seattle-based Christian institution, because of an argument over some library book she didn't like. When she left, she made sure to kick up a lot of dust, which hit the local paper. The school moved on without her, and the book stayed.

I sent my 3 daughters through the same school. All 3 got picked up by UW within 2 weeks of sending their admission applications.

The issue of that book never hit our radar, but it sure did Delilah's.

Around here, Delilah is mostly known for providing the paint to help spruce up one of our downtown business cores, where she also owned, for a while, a small coffee shop. Otherwise, except for a well-publicized grumble or two, she's been fairly quiet. KING (I think), did a nice piece on her recently.

In her early days in Seattle, Delilah was known to do infrequent board shifts on her flagship Seattle station, for reasons I don't know. Maybe she was still new and needed the money? In any case, it was interesting to hear her follow the station's format instead of her own. When she was on the air, she'd do the whole shift without ever once saying her name.

As for her "schtick"... it's probably no different from Bubba, or the newly-displaced Michael Savage, or Jerry Springer, or Wendy Williams, or, or, or... they all have their audiences and, in places, unlucky board ops!

Last edited:
She does have some strong feelings about religion... or getting her way... maybe both.

She pulled her kids out of a local private school, run by a Seattle-based Christian institution, because of an argument over some library book she didn't like. When she left, she made sure to kick up a lot of dust, which hit the local paper. The school moved on without her, and the book stayed.

I sent my 3 daughters through the same school. All 3 got picked up by UW within 2 weeks of sending their admission applications.

The issue of that book never hit our radar, but it sure did Delilah's.

Around here, Delilah is mostly known for providing the paint to help spruce up one of our downtown business cores, where she also owned, for a while, a small coffee shop. Otherwise, except for a well-publicized grumble or two, she's been fairly quiet. KING (I think), did a nice piece on her recently.

In her early days in Seattle, Delilah was known to do infrequent board shifts on her flagship Seattle station, for reasons I don't know. Maybe she was still new and needed the money? In any case, it was interesting to hear her follow the station's format instead of her own. When she was on the air, she'd do the whole shift without ever once saying her name.

As for her "schtick"... it's probably no different from Bubba, or the newly-displaced Michael Savage, or Jerry Springer, or Wendy Williams, or, or, or... they all have their audiences and, in places, unlucky board ops!

http://archive.kitsapsun.com/news/l...teaches-veiled-mormonism-ep-42-357810661.html

My own recollections of hearing her on the radio date back to the KING-AM days, well before Lights Out (or KLSY) was developed. When KING-AM went all news in September 1982, some jocks stayed and tried to transition into the format (Murdock namely. I think he did sports for a while.)

But when KLSY came on a year later. Murdock and Delilah went to 92.5 and a few months later, Lights Out debuted. It became an instant favorite of lushes all over Puget Sound and a local institution by 1985. Other AC stations in other markets were carefully copying Lights Out. With mixed results. I guess it takes a very special knack for knowing EXACTLY the right Air Supply song for any particular occasion.

On a side note: Wherever someone mentions Wendy Williams, my mind strangely defaults to Wendy O'Williams, the late lead singer of the early '80s punk/metal band Wendy O'Williams and The Plasmatics. But she doesn't blow up as many old TVs and cars as Wendy O'Williams did. Maybe that's what's keeping Wendy Williams from stratospheric international fame and success. She needs to blow up stuff...

Speaking of Lights Out, when did Delilah leave that show? I remember Charlie Brooks hosting the show on 92.5 on weeknights, Jannet Wilson on weekends then fulltime around 2002 or so. By the time I was old enough to remember, Delilah was gone.

On a side note: Wherever someone mentions Wendy Williams, my mind strangely defaults to Wendy O'Williams, the late lead singer of the early '80s punk/metal band Wendy O'Williams and The Plasmatics. But she doesn't blow up as many old TVs and cars as Wendy O'Williams did. Maybe that's what's keeping Wendy Williams from stratospheric international fame and success. She needs to blow up stuff...

Not to mention her creative use of black electrical tape!

Not to mention her creative use of black electrical tape!

For those unfamiliar with Wendy O'Williams and The Plasmatics, here's your primer. Everybody smash your heads on the punk rock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2eynNh5xHM

But back to Delilah, wasn't she on KJR-AM for a spell around '86? The Lights Out thing was still going on at KLSY. but her KJR program was pretty average.

For those unfamiliar with Wendy O'Williams and The Plasmatics, here's your primer. Everybody smash your heads on the punk rock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2eynNh5xHM

But back to Delilah, wasn't she on KJR-AM for a spell around '86? The Lights Out thing was still going on at KLSY. but her KJR program was pretty average.

RE: Wendy Williams. The only comparison to Delilah is they both were radio hosts who gained some form of fame. Wendy's show is virtually unwatchable IMO, and Delilah's show is virtually unlistenable IMO, so perhaps they have more in common than I originally thought.

I don't remember her on KJR, but that certainly doesn't mean she didn't work there. I remember in 1989 she was a hot topic, I am guessing this was at the beginning of her syndication, but somebody can correct me. I also recall a lot of bad mouthing of her at this particular point, atleast at the competition, but how much of this was just spite because she was doing well is unknown.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom