• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

3 Atlanta Stations Playing Christmas Music

RoddyFreeman

Walk of Fame Participant
We all knew 104.7 The Fish would go all-Christmas. And B98.5 is doing its part-Christmas format. But one other station has Christmas music in its rotation, Country Christmas music, Kicks 101-5.

Amazing to me how 98.9 isn't as well.

I'm amazing as to how long they've kept this station around. I gave it until Thanksgiving.

After last year's stunt with 98.9 going 24/7 Christmas and the resulting 1.0+ share (for a translator!) I am shocked no other station has attempted to capture the Christmas audience this year. It will be interesting to see if B98.5 rebounds from its recent ratings doldrums with the light infusion of holiday tunes.

I still can't help but wonder how much longer this market will go on without a true soft rock/AC or variety hits station (the formats most likely to carry 24/7 pop-Christmas and/or Delilah/John Tesh). It is baffling how a market of this size can have such a format hole for so long.

After last year's stunt with 98.9 going 24/7 Christmas and the resulting 1.0+ share (for a translator!) I am shocked no other station has attempted to capture the Christmas audience this year. It will be interesting to see if B98.5 rebounds from its recent ratings doldrums with the light infusion of holiday tunes.

I still can't help but wonder how much longer this market will go on without a true soft rock/AC or variety hits station (the formats most likely to carry 24/7 pop-Christmas and/or Delilah/John Tesh). It is baffling how a market of this size can have such a format hole for so long.

And we are approaching the 10 year anniversary of the death of 94.9 Lite FM. So that would put us at 10 years without a soft AC station. If Cumulus flips a station to soft AC most likely Tesh will be on there. If iHeart does it then Delilah will be on there. The only Cumulus station I see playing Delilah is Z93.7 in Macon. Looks like Delilah nationwide is tied to iHeart similar to how Ryan Seacrest is tied to them as well.

B98.5's ratings are still very good but not up in the sky-high territory of a few years ago. Atlanta has several stations going after similar demos: B98.5, Star 94-1, Power 96-1, Q100 and 104.7 The Fish. Something has got to give, and with Star growing its ratings, it's hard for any of the stations to get ratings like B98.5 got for a while.

Atlanta kinda sorta gets variety hits from WXKT 103.7 Chuck FM, which covers some of the northeast quadrant from Clarkesville, although the new WIFN translator in-town interferes with it a little bit south of Peachtree Ridge now.

During the school year, though, UGA sports pre-empts the music. I've never understood why they do this, as 103.7 is completely within the range of Cox sisters WSBB 95.5 and WNGC 106.1. I think Cox is doing this to block WDUN from picking the Bulldogs back up, or to carry additional UGA sports besides football and men's hoops (they now carry women's hoops and baseball). Or maybe it's a leftover from the short-lived Bulldog 103.7 that was a UGA-focused sportstalker (with a little news-talk thrown in--Martha Zoller says hi).

What is WNGA 105.1 carrying these days? The previous owner upgraded it from a class A to a C3, and it gets into the northeast quadrant as well. One year Lake Lanier Islands rented the station to play Christmas music for people looking at their light displays. Jacor/Clear Channel owned this station at one point, simulcasting WGST, but that was a while back. When WKXT was Bulldog 103.7, they were also playing Christmas music in the evenings after PM drive for Lake Lanier Islands, but were always pre-empting the music with UGA sports.

And we are approaching the 10 year anniversary of the death of 94.9 Lite FM. So that would put us at 10 years without a soft AC station. If Cumulus flips a station to soft AC most likely Tesh will be on there. If iHeart does it then Delilah will be on there. The only Cumulus station I see playing Delilah is Z93.7 in Macon. Looks like Delilah nationwide is tied to iHeart similar to how Ryan Seacrest is tied to them as well.

December 18, 2006...the day soft rock died in Atlanta. And ten years later, I still find that format flip hard to believe LOL... Speaking of 94.9 the Bull, I remember the following holiday season they aired a 'country Christmas' format which seemed very unusual. That format must not have gone over well as it never returned in the years that followed.

John Tesh would be an interesting add to this market as I don't believe his show has ever had a presence here. Delilah was around for a long time before B98.5 ended her run in 2012.

WNGA is a K-Love station

What is WNGA 105.1 carrying these days? The previous owner upgraded it from a class A to a C3, and it gets into the northeast quadrant as well. One year Lake Lanier Islands rented the station to play Christmas music for people looking at their light displays. Jacor/Clear Channel owned this station at one point, simulcasting WGST, but that was a while back. When WKXT was Bulldog 103.7, they were also playing Christmas music in the evenings after PM drive for Lake Lanier Islands, but were always pre-empting the music with UGA sports.

EMF bought 105.1 when it was upgraded and it is now a K-Love affiliate.

CurtinInPA is that you?

December 18, 2006...the day soft rock died in Atlanta. And ten years later, I still find that format flip hard to believe LOL... Speaking of 94.9 the Bull, I remember the following holiday season they aired a 'country Christmas' format which seemed very unusual. That format must not have gone over well as it never returned in the years that followed.

John Tesh would be an interesting add to this market as I don't believe his show has ever had a presence here. Delilah was around for a long time before B98.5 ended her run in 2012.

WVFJ J93.3 played Tesh in the afternoon for awhile some years back but no one else has had him on. With the death of Lite 10 years ago also brought the end of Casey Kasem's small 5 year run here on the airwaves in Atlanta. No Casey here in the 90s at all.

WVFJ J93.3 played Tesh in the afternoon for awhile some years back but no one else has had him on. With the death of Lite 10 years ago also brought the end of Casey Kasem's small 5 year run here on the airwaves in Atlanta. No Casey here in the 90s at all.

Why in God's good name does B 98.5 claim to be Atlanta's Christmas Music Station when they barely play Christmas music. Poor advertising. Cox should be ashamed of themselves.

Kicks 101.5 was playing some Christmas music this weekend...interspersed with their regular country playlist including some out-of-format cuts.

Why in God's good name does B 98.5 claim to be Atlanta's Christmas Music Station when they barely play Christmas music. Poor advertising. Cox should be ashamed of themselves.
It's all about making people BELIEVE they are the Christmas station. And in this day and age, you can make people believe anything if you tell it to them enough

Nothing at all wrong with that. They want people to listen to them for Christmas music . . . and they're playing Christmas music. A little hyperbole is appropriate when you're promoting your brand.

40 miles south of the ATL in Griffin, Ga., WKEU-AM (1450) & FM (88.9/102.3) has been playing Christmas music since Dec 1.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom