A Big Problem With Music Radio...Again! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Big Problem With Music Radio...Again!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    So you look at the RDS display on your car radio. It's there for the entire play of the song. How hard is that? Or you want until you get home, and check the music log for the previous hour. If you're engaged in some other activity, you might not even hear the announcer if he back announces the song.

But as I said, there are lots of stations that give full music information on air.
    I am undoubtedly an Olde Farte who does not want anything distracting a driver from his/her first task - to drive the car. All too many distracted drivers, and most probably not the people in my age group, are killing and maiming others because they are fooling with the radio, CD, infotainment system or phone. If I were King I would remove all those devices or make them static while the vehicle is in motion. If someone is already listening that intently to the radio while driving they are already way past the point of being distracted.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post
    If someone is already listening that intently to the radio while driving they are already way past the point of being distracted.
    Exactly...so you hear a song you like, and you hear the DJ say who did it, and while you're listening to his back announce, you accidently ram the car that inadvertently stopped in front of you. Good job. Or you can wait until you go home, check the music log online, and everything is wonderful.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    It is more convenient but only if you are not engaged in another activity - especially driving (where a ton of listening occurs). If I am at home pecking away on my PC it is no problem to go look up artist, lyrics and song but not in the car or while I am woodworking on the saw.
    So, the two-thirds of listeners who are at home or work have to hear for the 300th time the name of the song, while those few occasional people (out of the many in car listeners) who do not tune in very often get information they might like to have.

In other words, let's annoy about 95% of our heavy listening core so that light users will be given song data that the important listeners already know.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Exactly...so you hear a song you like, and you hear the DJ say who did it, and while you're listening to his back announce, you accidently ram the car that inadvertently stopped in front of you. Good job. Or you can wait until you go home, check the music log online, and everything is wonderful.
    More Likely Scenario:

You walk in the door to your house and are immediately set upon by your offspring who want to tell you all about their day and how much they hate their brothers and sisters.

After you shed the kids you give the dog some love and kiss your SO who proceeds to tell you about her day which includes a failing drain under the sink and a weird noise emanating from her car.

After helping her regain her composure you assist setting the table and bringing out tonight's excellent repast only to hear the twins peck on each other for some perceived wrongdoing. Negotiating a cease fire the meal is consummated at which time you are drafted into clearing the table and assisting with the dishes. Ah....finally....quiet time.

You head into the den and flip on the PC to find out what song that was you heard on WKRP only to discover a host of emails from every store you have ever shopped illustrating their best deals for things you never intend to buy. The email box is now clear and you feel good about catching up and then......and then......what the hell was it you came in here to find out? A song.....ah.....that's it.

But what did the DJ say about it? Can't remember. Think about the lyrics. I think I know what one line was. Go to Lyrics.com and type in the line you remember. Nope, that's not it. I am almost sure it wasn't something by Brooke Benton. Who is/was Brooke Benton anyway?

I got it.....ask the daughter. She knows every new song. You knock on her bedroom door and are greeted with a vicious blast of menstrual anger. Whoops! Definitely the wrong time to ask. But what was it she said? Tool or fool? Doesn't matter.

She won't believe I am interested in songs on the radio anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

So, the two-thirds of listeners who are at home or work have to hear for the 300th time the name of the song, while those few occasional people (out of the many in car listeners) who do not tune in very often get information they might like to have.

In other words, let's annoy about 95% of our heavy listening core so that light users will be given song data that the important listeners already know.
    Do you mean those same listeners who you have already pissed off by playing 6-minute stop sets in which 2 are the same, exact speech?

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Do you mean those same listeners who you have already pissed off by playing 6-minute stop sets in which 2 are the same, exact speech?
    Radio users are aware that commercials are a part of free non-subscription radio.

The average adult spends about 11 hours and change listening to the radio each week.

Most stations get about 90% or more of their total listening time from just 50% of those who listen to the station at all. That 50% is what drives revenue as they are the ones who drive ratings.

What you are asking for is song IDs for the "other" 50% who make little difference in the ratings and have no revenue impact. The "good" listeners don't want or need that information, and they will be very annoyed by it.

A bad song has much more impact on listening than a commercial break. One is not expected, the other is.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

More Likely Scenario:

I'm trying to understand how any of this is radio's problem.

[QUOTE=DavidEduardo;6125668]

Radio users are aware that commercials are a part of free non-subscription radio. A part, yes. A major part, no.

What you are asking for is song IDs for the "other" 50% who make little difference in the ratings and have no revenue impact. The "good" listeners don't want or need that information, and they will be very annoyed by it. I have never heard anyone gripe about the DJ announcing a song title or artist. I have heard many thousands of listeners gripe about all manner of commercials.

A bad song has much more impact on listening than a commercial break. One is not expected, the other is.
    One person's "bad" song is someone else's "desired" song.

One person's "bad" song is someone else's "desired" song.
    Circular argument warning! Circular argument warning! Take cover immediately!

I'm trying to understand how any of this is radio's problem.
    Said another way - radio is contributing to the dashboard mayhem by introducing distracting features. Perhaps not nearly to the extent of cell phones but there, nonetheless. Radio is an auditory medium and should remain that way. We don't need "features" like RDS on the dashboard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast