• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A Big Problem With Music Radio...Again!

TheBigA

Walk of Fame Participant
It's rare these days to hear DJ's announce the artists, or songs, that they are playing. Why the F is that?!

It depends on the station and format. I know a lot of stations not only front and back-announce the songs, some even have liners from the artists themselves introducing their songs. In addition to RDS that you mentioned, most stations also have all the songs they play available at their website, so if you miss who the artist is, you can go back through the music and see the names. Even download the song, if you want. Some stations also have a function that you can input a few lyrics from the song, and it will automatically tell you the name of the song and the artist. It's not the 80s any more. Lots of ways to get the information you want from radio.

Lots of ways to get the information you want from radio.

But what the OP is saying is that no way is as convenient as having the DJ announce it. I agree. Anything you have to "pay attention to" while driving, except driving, is a non-starter for me. Way too many distractions already these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember back in the 80's when the record companies were stamping all of their promos with stickers that said "When you play it, say it." Whatever happened to that program? Well, the same problem is happening again. It's rare these days to hear DJ's announce the artists, or songs, that they are playing. Why the F is that?! I hear these songs over and over, and I never know what they are, or who the artist is. C'mon radio, you can do a much better job than that. This fact really hit me hard when I was watching the AMA's the other night, as *they* were introducing the artist, and relaying the song title, either when the band played, or won an award. Oh, that's Shawn Mendes who sings that song (that I've heard a hundred times), or, oh, that's The Chainsmokers, etc., etc. Sorry, I'm not going to go to the radio station's website to seek out this information, either when the song is playing, or when it has already played. I don't have time for that. I'm also not going to look down at my auto radio, to wait 3 seconds, while the RDS info scrolls across, in fear of taking my eyes off of the road, and getting into an accident. I would love to play all of the music that I hear on the radio, in my favorite pub, on the jukebox, or even purchase some of it, but radio rarely ever tells me who or what is playing(!!!), or has played. Thanks a lot radio.

I had planted this post under The Business of Radio, but it's probably more suited under Programming.

I remember back in the 80's when the record companies were stamping all of their promos with stickers that said "When you play it, say it." Whatever happened to that program?

Record labels no longer send out promo records, for one thing. Stations download their music from independent sites. But as I said earlier, it's not the 80s any more.

But what the OP is saying is that no way is as convenient as having the DJ announce it.

I think it's more convenient. How many times have you missed something announced on the radio because you were busy doing something else? This way, you can go to the station website 24/7 and find out any airplay information, and then download the song immediately.

Just because it's not the 80's anymore (and for the record, I never said it was), announcers can no longer front-sell, or back-announce, music anymore?! I'm here right now, listening to your station, tell me what you're playing! Communicate with me. Why is that so hard now, and it's never been in the past? Is this done intentionally, to get traffic to the station's website? I don't know about anyone else, but my plate is always full, and I don't have time to seek out your playlists.

Just because it's not the 80's anymore, announcers can no longer front-sell, or back-announce, music anymore?!

Some stations do, some don't. Also, you want that information, but not everyone does. You're making an unsubstantiated broad generalization.

I'm sure there are stations in your market that give song information, but you don't happen to like their format.

Communicate with me. Why is that so hard now, and it's never been in the past?

For the record, I never said it was. My point is stations have other platforms now, so why not use them to give this kind of information?

No, stations aren't doing it to drive website traffic. Stations provide it as a useful service for listeners who might miss a verbal front or back announce because they're too busy.

Last edited:
Just because it's not the 80's anymore (and for the record, I never said it was), announcers can no longer front-sell, or back-announce, music anymore?! I'm here right now, listening to your station, tell me what you're playing! Communicate with me. Why is that so hard now, and it's never been in the past? Is this done intentionally, to get traffic to the station's website? I don't know about anyone else, but my plate is always full, and I don't have time to seek out your playlists.

One of the most conflict-laden issues seen in listener research is the matter of announcing the songs. The general response is, "yes, I want it but only for the songs I don't know. If I already know the song, I hate it when they tell me the obvious."

So stations usually announce only the newest songs, as the core listeners... the ones that produce over 90% of the listening... do not... definitely do not... want to hear that information for songs that are established hits or oldies.

One thing is to announce songs at awards shows, as you mention. Awards shows reach many viewers who are not partisans of all the genres that are being recognized, so the songs may be unfamiliar to many. Radio caters to partisans of a specific genre or era of music, and the core listeners know the music almost immediately.

I think it's more convenient. How many times have you missed something announced on the radio because you were busy doing something else? This way, you can go to the station website 24/7 and find out any airplay information, and then download the song immediately.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. It is more convenient but only if you are not engaged in another activity - especially driving (where a ton of listening occurs). If I am at home pecking away on my PC it is no problem to go look up artist, lyrics and song but not in the car or while I am woodworking on the saw.

but not in the car or while I am woodworking on the saw.

So you look at the RDS display on your car radio. It's there for the entire play of the song. How hard is that? Or you want until you get home, and check the music log for the previous hour. If you're engaged in some other activity, you might not even hear the announcer if he back announces the song.

But as I said, there are lots of stations that give full music information on air.

So you look at the RDS display on your car radio. It's there for the entire play of the song. How hard is that? Or you want until you get home, and check the music log for the previous hour. If you're engaged in some other activity, you might not even hear the announcer if he back announces the song.

But as I said, there are lots of stations that give full music information on air.

I am undoubtedly an Olde Farte who does not want anything distracting a driver from his/her first task - to drive the car. All too many distracted drivers, and most probably not the people in my age group, are killing and maiming others because they are fooling with the radio, CD, infotainment system or phone. If I were King I would remove all those devices or make them static while the vehicle is in motion. If someone is already listening that intently to the radio while driving they are already way past the point of being distracted.

If someone is already listening that intently to the radio while driving they are already way past the point of being distracted.

Exactly...so you hear a song you like, and you hear the DJ say who did it, and while you're listening to his back announce, you accidently ram the car that inadvertently stopped in front of you. Good job. Or you can wait until you go home, check the music log online, and everything is wonderful.

It is more convenient but only if you are not engaged in another activity - especially driving (where a ton of listening occurs). If I am at home pecking away on my PC it is no problem to go look up artist, lyrics and song but not in the car or while I am woodworking on the saw.

So, the two-thirds of listeners who are at home or work have to hear for the 300th time the name of the song, while those few occasional people (out of the many in car listeners) who do not tune in very often get information they might like to have.

In other words, let's annoy about 95% of our heavy listening core so that light users will be given song data that the important listeners already know.

Exactly...so you hear a song you like, and you hear the DJ say who did it, and while you're listening to his back announce, you accidently ram the car that inadvertently stopped in front of you. Good job. Or you can wait until you go home, check the music log online, and everything is wonderful.

More Likely Scenario:

You walk in the door to your house and are immediately set upon by your offspring who want to tell you all about their day and how much they hate their brothers and sisters.

After you shed the kids you give the dog some love and kiss your SO who proceeds to tell you about her day which includes a failing drain under the sink and a weird noise emanating from her car.

After helping her regain her composure you assist setting the table and bringing out tonight's excellent repast only to hear the twins peck on each other for some perceived wrongdoing. Negotiating a cease fire the meal is consummated at which time you are drafted into clearing the table and assisting with the dishes. Ah....finally....quiet time.

You head into the den and flip on the PC to find out what song that was you heard on WKRP only to discover a host of emails from every store you have ever shopped illustrating their best deals for things you never intend to buy. The email box is now clear and you feel good about catching up and then......and then......what the hell was it you came in here to find out? A song.....ah.....that's it.

But what did the DJ say about it? Can't remember. Think about the lyrics. I think I know what one line was. Go to Lyrics.com and type in the line you remember. Nope, that's not it. I am almost sure it wasn't something by Brooke Benton. Who is/was Brooke Benton anyway?

I got it.....ask the daughter. She knows every new song. You knock on her bedroom door and are greeted with a vicious blast of menstrual anger. Whoops! Definitely the wrong time to ask. But what was it she said? Tool or fool? Doesn't matter.

She won't believe I am interested in songs on the radio anyway.

So, the two-thirds of listeners who are at home or work have to hear for the 300th time the name of the song, while those few occasional people (out of the many in car listeners) who do not tune in very often get information they might like to have.

In other words, let's annoy about 95% of our heavy listening core so that light users will be given song data that the important listeners already know.

Do you mean those same listeners who you have already pissed off by playing 6-minute stop sets in which 2 are the same, exact speech?

Do you mean those same listeners who you have already pissed off by playing 6-minute stop sets in which 2 are the same, exact speech?

Radio users are aware that commercials are a part of free non-subscription radio.

The average adult spends about 11 hours and change listening to the radio each week.

Most stations get about 90% or more of their total listening time from just 50% of those who listen to the station at all. That 50% is what drives revenue as they are the ones who drive ratings.

What you are asking for is song IDs for the "other" 50% who make little difference in the ratings and have no revenue impact. The "good" listeners don't want or need that information, and they will be very annoyed by it.

A bad song has much more impact on listening than a commercial break. One is not expected, the other is.

Radio users are aware that commercials are a part of free non-subscription radio. A part, yes. A major part, no.

What you are asking for is song IDs for the "other" 50% who make little difference in the ratings and have no revenue impact. The "good" listeners don't want or need that information, and they will be very annoyed by it. I have never heard anyone gripe about the DJ announcing a song title or artist. I have heard many thousands of listeners gripe about all manner of commercials.

A bad song has much more impact on listening than a commercial break. One is not expected, the other is.
One person's "bad" song is someone else's "desired" song.

I'm trying to understand how any of this is radio's problem.

Said another way - radio is contributing to the dashboard mayhem by introducing distracting features. Perhaps not nearly to the extent of cell phones but there, nonetheless. Radio is an auditory medium and should remain that way. We don't need "features" like RDS on the dashboard.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom