A Big Problem With Music Radio...Again!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: A Big Problem With Music Radio...Again!

  1. #1

    A Big Problem With Music Radio...Again!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bowers View Post
    It's rare these days to hear DJ's announce the artists, or songs, that they are playing. Why the F is that?!
    It depends on the station and format. I know a lot of stations not only front and back-announce the songs, some even have liners from the artists themselves introducing their songs. In addition to RDS that you mentioned, most stations also have all the songs they play available at their website, so if you miss who the artist is, you can go back through the music and see the names. Even download the song, if you want. Some stations also have a function that you can input a few lyrics from the song, and it will automatically tell you the name of the song and the artist. It's not the 80s any more. Lots of ways to get the information you want from radio.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Lots of ways to get the information you want from radio.
    But what the OP is saying is that no way is as convenient as having the DJ announce it. I agree. Anything you have to "pay attention to" while driving, except driving, is a non-starter for me. Way too many distractions already these days.
    Last edited by frankberry; 11-23-2016 at 04:06 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

  3. #3

    A Big Problem With Music Radio...Again!

    I remember back in the 80's when the record companies were stamping all of their promos with stickers that said "When you play it, say it." Whatever happened to that program? Well, the same problem is happening again. It's rare these days to hear DJ's announce the artists, or songs, that they are playing. Why the F is that?! I hear these songs over and over, and I never know what they are, or who the artist is. C'mon radio, you can do a much better job than that. This fact really hit me hard when I was watching the AMA's the other night, as *they* were introducing the artist, and relaying the song title, either when the band played, or won an award. Oh, that's Shawn Mendes who sings that song (that I've heard a hundred times), or, oh, that's The Chainsmokers, etc., etc. Sorry, I'm not going to go to the radio station's website to seek out this information, either when the song is playing, or when it has already played. I don't have time for that. I'm also not going to look down at my auto radio, to wait 3 seconds, while the RDS info scrolls across, in fear of taking my eyes off of the road, and getting into an accident. I would love to play all of the music that I hear on the radio, in my favorite pub, on the jukebox, or even purchase some of it, but radio rarely ever tells me who or what is playing(!!!), or has played. Thanks a lot radio.

    I had planted this post under The Business of Radio, but it's probably more suited under Programming.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bowers View Post
    I remember back in the 80's when the record companies were stamping all of their promos with stickers that said "When you play it, say it." Whatever happened to that program?
    Record labels no longer send out promo records, for one thing. Stations download their music from independent sites. But as I said earlier, it's not the 80s any more.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post
    But what the OP is saying is that no way is as convenient as having the DJ announce it.
    I think it's more convenient. How many times have you missed something announced on the radio because you were busy doing something else? This way, you can go to the station website 24/7 and find out any airplay information, and then download the song immediately.

  6. #6
    Just because it's not the 80's anymore (and for the record, I never said it was), announcers can no longer front-sell, or back-announce, music anymore?! I'm here right now, listening to your station, tell me what you're playing! Communicate with me. Why is that so hard now, and it's never been in the past? Is this done intentionally, to get traffic to the station's website? I don't know about anyone else, but my plate is always full, and I don't have time to seek out your playlists.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bowers View Post
    Just because it's not the 80's anymore, announcers can no longer front-sell, or back-announce, music anymore?!
    Some stations do, some don't. Also, you want that information, but not everyone does. You're making an unsubstantiated broad generalization.

    I'm sure there are stations in your market that give song information, but you don't happen to like their format.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bowers View Post
    Communicate with me. Why is that so hard now, and it's never been in the past?
    For the record, I never said it was. My point is stations have other platforms now, so why not use them to give this kind of information?

    No, stations aren't doing it to drive website traffic. Stations provide it as a useful service for listeners who might miss a verbal front or back announce because they're too busy.
    Last edited by TheBigA; 11-23-2016 at 06:32 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bowers View Post
    Just because it's not the 80's anymore (and for the record, I never said it was), announcers can no longer front-sell, or back-announce, music anymore?! I'm here right now, listening to your station, tell me what you're playing! Communicate with me. Why is that so hard now, and it's never been in the past? Is this done intentionally, to get traffic to the station's website? I don't know about anyone else, but my plate is always full, and I don't have time to seek out your playlists.
    One of the most conflict-laden issues seen in listener research is the matter of announcing the songs. The general response is, "yes, I want it but only for the songs I don't know. If I already know the song, I hate it when they tell me the obvious."

    So stations usually announce only the newest songs, as the core listeners... the ones that produce over 90% of the listening... do not... definitely do not... want to hear that information for songs that are established hits or oldies.

    One thing is to announce songs at awards shows, as you mention. Awards shows reach many viewers who are not partisans of all the genres that are being recognized, so the songs may be unfamiliar to many. Radio caters to partisans of a specific genre or era of music, and the core listeners know the music almost immediately.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    I think it's more convenient. How many times have you missed something announced on the radio because you were busy doing something else? This way, you can go to the station website 24/7 and find out any airplay information, and then download the song immediately.
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. It is more convenient but only if you are not engaged in another activity - especially driving (where a ton of listening occurs). If I am at home pecking away on my PC it is no problem to go look up artist, lyrics and song but not in the car or while I am woodworking on the saw.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post
    but not in the car or while I am woodworking on the saw.
    So you look at the RDS display on your car radio. It's there for the entire play of the song. How hard is that? Or you want until you get home, and check the music log for the previous hour. If you're engaged in some other activity, you might not even hear the announcer if he back announces the song.

    But as I said, there are lots of stations that give full music information on air.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us