• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Nov 6+ And The Fish That Got Away

DrAkbar

Star Participant
http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb057

What in the Wide, Wide World of Sports is a goin' on at KFYI? You'd think with their brand of conservative talk and Trump cheerleaders Limbaugh and Hannity the station would have scored a lot more than a 2.4 share! Guess those PPMs aint going to 5~Fifty's core audience.. or the pony needs a new to learn a new trick.

Nurse Jeff and I are blown away by the sizable audience of non-comm KNAI. What's amazing about this station is they share the frequency with KPHF - Radio Campesina during the day, God at night.

And we'd be remiss not to mention the upward climb of Oldies 92~Seven (the station formerly known as Lumberyard 14~Forty). They've nicked and dimed it up to a 1.2 share.

So Happy Thanksgiving from the turkeys at the Buckeye Meds Hut!

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb057

What in the Wide, Wide World of Sports is a goin' on at KFYI? You'd think with their brand of conservative talk and Trump cheerleaders Limbaugh and Hannity the station would have scored a lot more than a 2.4 share! Guess those PPMs aint going to 5~Fifty's core audience.. or the pony needs a new to learn a new trick.

Move Sports back to 550, move KFYI to 1230/93-7 and broker out 910? Or just ride it out until God's Waiting Room is empty? I got nothin' else.

Meanwhile, KT'R continues to do a lot of things right. Despite the protests of a couple of posters here, the audience seems to dig it.

Nurse Jeff and I are blown away by the sizable audience of non-comm KNAI. What's amazing about this station is they share the frequency with KPHF - Radio Campesina during the day, God at night.

Well, if you're looking for proof that not that many people use radio at night, there you have it... Also, maybe the folks at the United Farmworkers have learned that good radio has a lot in common with community organizing.

And we'd be remiss not to mention the upward climb of Oldies 92~Seven (the station formerly known as Lumberyard 14~Forty). They've nicked and dimed it up to a 1.2 share.

I'm impressed.

So Happy Thanksgiving from the turkeys at the Buckeye Meds Hut!

After a holiday weekend of punching around, it's a damn fine radio market.

You have KOOL cranking out the pop of my youth right down to a Saturday night mix show. (and if it's not the music of your youth, give it a few years, they'll get there)

You have good quality sports on a full market FM and not on a rimshot that you can barely pull in.

You have an AC that doesn't play Christmas music even if it does play Dull-lilah.

You have an AC with one of the best morning shows in the country.

You have options to punch around for mainstream and rhythmic CHR.

You have options to punch around for rhythmic gold.

You have 2 very good Hot AC stations.

KSLX's music mix is dialed in to my generation.

You have both hard & indie rock and not one station trying to do a little bit of both.

Compared to most cities, there is a lot of good radio to listen to in the Valley. There's much to be thankful for.

Move Sports back to 550, move KFYI to 1230/93-7 and broker out 910? Or just ride it out until God's Waiting Room is empty? I got nothin' else.

Meanwhile, KT'R continues to do a lot of things right. Despite the protests of a couple of posters here, the audience seems to dig it.

Well, if you're looking for proof that not that many people use radio at night, there you have it... Also, maybe the folks at the United Farmworkers have learned that good radio has a lot in common with community organizing.

I'm impressed.

After a holiday weekend of punching around, it's a damn fine radio market.

You have KOOL cranking out the pop of my youth right down to a Saturday night mix show. (and if it's not the music of your youth, give it a few years, they'll get there)

You have good quality sports on a full market FM and not on a rimshot that you can barely pull in.

You have an AC that doesn't play Christmas music even if it does play Dull-lilah.

You have an AC with one of the best morning shows in the country.

You have options to punch around for mainstream and rhythmic CHR.

You have options to punch around for rhythmic gold.

You have 2 very good Hot AC stations.

KSLX's music mix is dialed in to my generation.

You have both hard & indie rock and not one station trying to do a little bit of both.

Compared to most cities, there is a lot of good radio to listen to in the Valley. There's much to be thankful for.

We also have a radio training ground for high school students who dream about being on the air with a signal that reaches a good portion of the Valley, country stations which don't just play post-2000 "pop with twang," despite being regional or rural/rimshot signals, and one of the last easy listening stations in the country reaching the retirement communities in the northwest Valley.

Well, as long as 92.3 takes steps to inevitably whittle down the broadcast hours of Beans and Rice Radio and have more "live and local," I can dig that. So, yes, while I will likely continue to protest the softball parenting tips that pass for news -- how are parenting tips "news"? -- I do agree that they're doing some things right. No pun intended, of course.

Now, if KDKB could stop playing so much moldy oldies from the 90's, that would be swell.

... and one of the last easy listening stations in the country reaching the retirement communities in the northwest Valley.

I wonder about who "Calm" serves. Beautiful Music pretty much died in the mid-to-late 80's as nearly all the listeners moved into the 55+ demos. Today, around 30 years later, the bulk of the listeners are going to be at least in their late 70's and more likely in their 80's.

I wonder about who "Calm" serves. Beautiful Music pretty much died in the mid-to-late 80's as nearly all the listeners moved into the 55+ demos. Today, around 30 years later, the bulk of the listeners are going to be at least in their late 70's and more likely in their 80's.

The retirement communities of Sun City, Sun City West, Wickenburg and I believe KAHM can be heard all the way up to Prescott (which also has a sizeable number of retirees as you already know).

The retirement communities of Sun City, Sun City West, Wickenburg and I believe KAHM can be heard all the way up to Prescott (which also has a sizeable number of retirees as you already know).

I know "where". My question is how many people over 75 there are in the area and, even more, how many clients believe that is a market with adequate ad revenue.

YIKES! Hard to imagine El Rushbo being relegated to a graveyard frequency in this red state. Nurse Jeff and I recommend they stay the doomed course as eventually those PPM's will find their way into KFYI homes. Unless mgmt can sign a bunch of major league teams, I ♥ Debt would be foolish to move KGME back to 5~Fifty.

I know "where". My question is how many people over 75 there are in the area and, even more, how many clients believe that is a market with adequate ad revenue.

Darned few. Darned fewer.

Now the question becomes: Why hasn't this station already moved to Towers Mtn and been sold?

The area around the Sun Cities is rapidly being surrounded by the Greater Phoenix Metro so KAHM would reach a number of younger households in addition to seniors. Wickenburg is also growing with two substantial planned communities currently being built (not age restricted). You already know the Prescott area which has a substantial number of retirees but also has many younger families as well. I would think that NW Phoenix and Prescott businesses would get pretty good coverage over the entire area using KAHM in addition to other sources.

The area around the Sun Cities is rapidly being surrounded by the Greater Phoenix Metro so KAHM would reach a number of younger households in addition to seniors. Wickenburg is also growing with two substantial planned communities currently being built (not age restricted). You already know the Prescott area which has a substantial number of retirees but also has many younger families as well. I would think that NW Phoenix and Prescott businesses would get pretty good coverage over the entire area using KAHM in addition to other sources.

Again, you are talking coverage, not audience. My question is whether there is a significant number of people to whom the current format would appeal and an advertiser base wanting to reach people well over 70.

Again, you are talking coverage, not audience. My question is whether there is a significant number of people to whom the current format would appeal and an advertiser base wanting to reach people well over 70.

Back in the day, my parents were P1 listeners to KMEO and KQYT. Dad also listened to KHEP when it was classical, and KONC.

While dad still listens to KBAQ at home, his new-to-him car has satellite, and one of my tasks while at home was to teach him how to set the presets:

50's on 5
60's on 6
Siriusly Sinatra
Real Jazz
Symphony Hall
40's Junction
Watercolors

Neither mom or dad had any real interest in Escape, the BM station on SXM. They're more into the standards/Great American Songbook now than easy listening, and dad has always been a jazz/classical fan.

I realize that n=1, but they've never had any interest in KAHM, either. Dad's 85 and mom is 81. They're pretty set in their purchasing habits, or if they're not sure what to buy they ask their kids who are in the sales demos. Any radio sales manager would lose money chasing after my parents.

Example: when dad decided he wanted a new car, he called me and told me what he was interested in, and my wife and I researched and found the vehicle he bought. Sure, the TV ads he saw touting new safety features prompted him to think about replacing his car, but all it resulted in was a call to me to "find me a car with a rear and side view camera" in his price range, which we did online - from Texas - and drove him out to Carmax when we got to town.

Last edited:

I understand the difference David. What I was attempting to point out was that there is a large cluster of seniors living in several pockets of population within the KAHM coverage area. You would have a much better idea of how many of those statistically might tune in. Since the areas in question are largely a small town environment (except for the area immediately adjacent to Sun City) I suspect they would try reaching their customers through outlets such as KAHM rather than the metro Phoenix stations (if they were choosing radio advertising of course). My FIL lives in Sun City and having spent some time with him and his friends they all seem to listen to KAHM. It also seems to be popular in area restaurants. I used to listen to it as well several decades ago when we lived in NW Phoenix but we cannot get it here in Fashionable South Tempe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom