Nov 6+ And The Fish That Got Away - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nov 6+ And The Fish That Got Away

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

I know "where". My question is how many people over 75 there are in the area and, even more, how many clients believe that is a market with adequate ad revenue.
    The area around the Sun Cities is rapidly being surrounded by the Greater Phoenix Metro so KAHM would reach a number of younger households in addition to seniors. Wickenburg is also growing with two substantial planned communities currently being built (not age restricted). You already know the Prescott area which has a substantial number of retirees but also has many younger families as well. I would think that NW Phoenix and Prescott businesses would get pretty good coverage over the entire area using KAHM in addition to other sources.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post
    The area around the Sun Cities is rapidly being surrounded by the Greater Phoenix Metro so KAHM would reach a number of younger households in addition to seniors. Wickenburg is also growing with two substantial planned communities currently being built (not age restricted). You already know the Prescott area which has a substantial number of retirees but also has many younger families as well. I would think that NW Phoenix and Prescott businesses would get pretty good coverage over the entire area using KAHM in addition to other sources.
    Again, you are talking coverage, not audience. My question is whether there is a significant number of people to whom the current format would appeal and an advertiser base wanting to reach people well over 70.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Again, you are talking coverage, not audience. My question is whether there is a significant number of people to whom the current format would appeal and an advertiser base wanting to reach people well over 70.
    Back in the day, my parents were P1 listeners to KMEO and KQYT. Dad also listened to KHEP when it was classical, and KONC.

While dad still listens to KBAQ at home, his new-to-him car has satellite, and one of my tasks while at home was to teach him how to set the presets:

50's on 5
    60's on 6
    Siriusly Sinatra
    Real Jazz
    Symphony Hall
    40's Junction
    Watercolors

Neither mom or dad had any real interest in Escape, the BM station on SXM. They're more into the standards/Great American Songbook now than easy listening, and dad has always been a jazz/classical fan.

I realize that n=1, but they've never had any interest in KAHM, either. Dad's 85 and mom is 81. They're pretty set in their purchasing habits, or if they're not sure what to buy they ask their kids who are in the sales demos. Any radio sales manager would lose money chasing after my parents.

Example: when dad decided he wanted a new car, he called me and told me what he was interested in, and my wife and I researched and found the vehicle he bought. Sure, the TV ads he saw touting new safety features prompted him to think about replacing his car, but all it resulted in was a call to me to "find me a car with a rear and side view camera" in his price range, which we did online - from Texas - and drove him out to Carmax when we got to town.
    Last edited by johndavis; 11-29-2016 at 04:29 PM.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

I understand the difference David. What I was attempting to point out was that there is a large cluster of seniors living in several pockets of population within the KAHM coverage area. You would have a much better idea of how many of those statistically might tune in. Since the areas in question are largely a small town environment (except for the area immediately adjacent to Sun City) I suspect they would try reaching their customers through outlets such as KAHM rather than the metro Phoenix stations (if they were choosing radio advertising of course). My FIL lives in Sun City and having spent some time with him and his friends they all seem to listen to KAHM. It also seems to be popular in area restaurants. I used to listen to it as well several decades ago when we lived in NW Phoenix but we cannot get it here in Fashionable South Tempe.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12