WROR Wally Brine retiring - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: WROR Wally Brine retiring

Quote Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
    Also in Hartford Brad Davis has been with WDRC AM 1360 since around 78. They have been Oldies, Adult Standards, a Variety format called "The Best of Everything", and since 2002 they've been a talk station.
    Was DRC(AM) ever an oldies station? When I moved to the state in 1981 they were a one-time Top 40 transitioning to adult contemporary. Brad did mornings, followed by Sebastian and Bob Marx (or was it the other way around for those last two?). I thought the AM continued with AC and the formats you mentioned after the FM went full-time oldies.

The WDRC History Page says the AM played Oldies in some hours starting in 81 and 86 became affiliated with Unistar's The Oldies Channel. http://wdrcobg.com/formats.html

Caught Wally's last show this morning but only from roughly 8:40am to 9:15 or so. Didn't hear Wally after 9 at all (the show goes to 10) which isn't unusual. The major part of the show is over at 9 anyway. About the only time you would have heard Wally after 9 would be for a live commercial.

But from 840 to 9, it was all Wally. Wally's wife, Jodi Winchester Brine, was in studio. Jodi was the producer of the morning show for 8 years about 20 years ago. Haven't heard her voice in forever. Former news guy Nick Mills (I'm Nick Mills!) was also in studio with a poem for Wally. And given that marijuana is now legal in the state of Massachusetts, they had Tommy Chong live on the phone. Wally said thank you and goodbye to everyone. I thought that it would sound more emotional especially for Loren and Wally but I didn't get that vibe at all.

Loren is now probably on vacation the rest of the year. Not sure if we'll hear Hank and/or LBF and/or Lungboy hosting at any point during the next two weeks or not. Should be interesting to hear what the new Wally-less show will be like after the new year. Wally's Records From Home will be gone although they are actually doing a whole Wally's Records From Home this weekend. The Wally-Ology reports will be gone. But what about Men From Maine? My guess: Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by WMC2006 View Post
    Caught Wally's last show this morning but only from roughly 8:40am to 9:15 or so. Didn't hear Wally after 9 at all (the show goes to 10) which isn't unusual. The major part of the show is over at 9 anyway. About the only time you would have heard Wally after 9 would be for a live commercial.

But from 840 to 9, it was all Wally. Wally's wife, Jodi Winchester Brine, was in studio. Jodi was the producer of the morning show for 8 years about 20 years ago. Haven't heard her voice in forever. Former news guy Nick Mills (I'm Nick Mills!) was also in studio with a poem for Wally. And given that marijuana is now legal in the state of Massachusetts, they had Tommy Chong live on the phone. Wally said thank you and goodbye to everyone. I thought that it would sound more emotional especially for Loren and Wally but I didn't get that vibe at all.

Loren is now probably on vacation the rest of the year. Not sure if we'll hear Hank and/or LBF and/or Lungboy hosting at any point during the next two weeks or not. Should be interesting to hear what the new Wally-less show will be like after the new year. Wally's Records From Home will be gone although they are actually doing a whole Wally's Records From Home this weekend. The Wally-Ology reports will be gone. But what about Men From Maine? My guess: Gone!
    I caught a bit more of the show, between 7:00 and 9:20. There is a podcast on the wror.com website containing the non-music portions of the rest of the show, if anyone is interested.

Carl Stevens (WBZ), Matt Siegal (KISS 108), Mike Adams (late of Magic 106.7), one of the 98.5 Sports Hub morning duo: all called in or showed up in person. I never realized Jody Winchester had been their producer; that explains how she and Wally met, I guess. Nick Mills wrote a very nice poem, almost eulogy-like.

I'll miss Wally; I'm not sure how the show can ever be the same with only half of this legendary duo. Wally was the guy who always seemed to be unwittingly "stepping into it", and it never came off as feigned.

Men From Maine I'll miss the most. Corny, perhaps, but the ones with the double entendre were priceless.

BTW, did anyone else besides me wonder why Tom Doyle or Sue Cope didn't call in or drop by?

'ROR's music playlist totally $uck$, IMHO, worse now that more 80s and some 90s "tunes" are in the mix, but L&W's antics at least made the morning drive shift fun.

Someone else (here, I believe) speculated that Loren was probably asked to hang on a few months more to ease the transition to a new morning show, after which he, too, will retire. Both of these classy gentlemen are, like me and a good part of their loyal listeners, aging boomers, and they can't be expected to hang around 'ROR doing their shtick for another 5 or 10 years.

I just wish more station sales reps knew how to make this demographic more appealing to advertisers.

Thanks for all the fun mornings, Wally. You are one of a kind.

You raise a good point about Tom Doyle and Sue Cope. Sue was their newsreader for something like 12 years, maybe more? Sue lives in some other part of the country so that'd explain why she wasn't physically there but, who knows, they may have talked to her on the phone at some point. After 35 years, they've had a lot of coworkers and I bet a lot of them were there in the building on Friday but we didn't hear them on the air.

That was Rich of Toucher and Rich on the Sports Hub who congratulated Wally (on tape I'm assuming). And there have been many taped congrats from Charles Laquidara over the last couple of weeks.

And I enjoy WROR's music playlist, that's why I listen, when I'm in my truck anyway. At home, around the Worcester area, I listen to 100FM The Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by WMC2006 View Post
    You raise a good point about Tom Doyle and Sue Cope. Sue was their newsreader for something like 12 years, maybe more? Sue lives in some other part of the country so that'd explain why she wasn't physically there but, who knows, they may have talked to her on the phone at some point.
    Sue has moved back to the area and is living on the south shore.

As for Doyle... who knows, but there was a rumor there was friction between Doyle and one of the Show crew.... plus where he was let go maybe letting him live in studio was ruled out .....

I decided to set my clock radio to 105.7 to see what would transpire at 'ROR sans Wally.

From all indications the program was live, with everyone from the Morning crew there, except Wally, of course. In fact, the show is still billed as "The Loren and Wally Morning Show"! There was the usual Men from Maine episode circa 7:20, Dirty Laundry from LBF at 7:45, Hank did both traffic and the 7:55 sports reports, Lung Boy was a bit more vocal. And Loren nicely orchestrated the whole thing, as usual.

I'm more than ever convinced now that Loren will in the near future hand over the reins to a new Morning host (or hosts), at which point the L&W Morning show will indeed be no more.

Someone did say earlier here or in another thread that Wally's contract (and Loren's too for that matter) ended at the end of the year. Well, it's not the end of the year yet. So, I suppose, even though Wally retired, he's sort of on vacation and still being paid until the end of the year so it's still The Loren and Wally Morning Show. I'm surprised Loren was there. Usually, the two would be off the last two weeks of the year.

And they are still running the Loren and Wally ad for Century Bank.

January 3rd and WROR is still running Wally stuff and they are still calling it The Loren and Wally Morning Show. Last week, I believe the entire morning show was on vacation. Old Wally stuff (much from the last month or so before retirement) was played in between songs. As far as I know, there was nobody live in the studio.

On Tuesday morning, only Hank and Lungboy were in while Loren and LBF were on vacation. Hank did traffic (of course) as well as the former Wally sports reports (which he's been doing since Wally left) and this week he is doing the newsbreaks with LBF out. Lungboy is acting as host. And, yes, they are playing Wally stuff from the month or so before retirement.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast