• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WROR Wally Brine retiring

With Beasley's takeover someone, I think @bostonradio on Twitter or maybe it was you, predicted both would be gone in 6 or 9 months. 35 years for L&R..started the same yr I started at WMWM

I have a friend that is with Beasley in another market, and they have given me some insight as to how they work, especially in taking over another group of stations.

It is their opinion, based on what happened in their cluster, that salaries are reduced, and by significant amounts.

It has been rumored that L&W get HUGE money.... BIG BIG BUCKS. Beasley is not going to pay anyone huge money..... there are a lot of people over in Dorchester that are in for a rude awakening

But the reality is he is 71 years old, he is going out on top and on his terms. Not many of us will ever have that luxury. Greater Media did not give that luxury to Tom Doyle who had his contract renewed at the same time the rest of the cast did....

Their last contract was inked in March of 2013, unless there was an extension I am not aware of.... so they are probably near the end of that deal....

It has been rumored that L&W get HUGE money.... BIG BIG BUCKS. Beasley is not going to pay anyone huge money..... there are a lot of people over in Dorchester that are in for a rude awakening

L&W do not make HUGE money. They make good money, aligned with their success and longevity. Nothing obscene.

As far as a rude awakening, I don't think anyone in Dorchester makes big money....Gr. Media was never one to pay anyone big bucks. So, I'm not sure what the "rude awakening" will be.

But the reality is he is 71 years old, he is going out on top and on his terms. Not many of us will ever have that luxury.

Everyone is pointing to every movement by the janitor as a "Beasley move"...however, I don't think this had anything to do with the sale directly. As you stated, Wally's contract runs out at the end of this year. (So doesn't Loren's). Given his age, Wally decided he didn't want to do this anymore.

Wally has family, kids, (grand kids?)...and we know he likes to travel.

There were those that thought that we'd hear all sorts of changes on the air the day they took over (sweepers, etc.)

I don't think Beasley has made any changes, except which bank account the billing gets deposited in.

Like Johnster stated below. Beasley is in the big leagues now, and they cannot fail, given all the borrowed money. I don't think they will be slashing things left and right. I think most of the adjustments were made prior to the sale.

Last edited:
I think you have to remember that this is a little different then many of their markets. With the accusation of GM Beasley is moving into major markets and to be competitive they know they will have to have some large salaries. And no one gets large salaries without bring in advertising dollars year after year. You loose the big names you loose the ratings. They are in the big league now and they know they will have to pay the people to play. I could see them cutting back in a lot of areas but not there.

I think you have to remember that this is a little different then many of their markets. With the accusation of GM Beasley is moving into major markets and to be competitive they know they will have to have some large salaries. And no one gets large salaries without bring in advertising dollars year after year. You loose the big names you loose the ratings. They are in the big league now and they know they will have to pay the people to play. I could see them cutting back in a lot of areas but not there.

Tampa is Market 11, and they cut salaries there with a chain saw, including long time AM drive talent.

Tampa is Market 11, and they cut salaries there with a chain saw, including long time AM drive talent.

I spoke with two talents in Tampa...and they told me there were no salary cuts when Beasley took over.

(They did dump a sports format and let their staff go, as the station was the 2nd sports station and in 21st place.)

I spoke with two talents in Tampa...and they told me there were no salary cuts when Beasley took over.

(They did dump a sports format and let their staff go, as the station was the 2nd sports station and in 21st place.)

Yes the sports dump was to bring in Bubba The Love Sponge to AM drive and brand the station around him... which went well until Bubba got caught talking to and influencing PPM wearers.... yet he is still there but the branding changed a bit... it was / is a messy situation as Nielsen was going to sue him last I heard. Beasley didn't toss him overboard because he brings big bucks to the station.... never underestimate the stupidity of the listener.

Ask those talents what happened a few months after Beasley arrived.... that is when they started getting tight with the money.

Ask those talents what happened a few months after Beasley arrived.... that is when they started getting tight with the money.

I told you what they said. "...they told me there were no "chain saw" salary cuts when Beasley took over."

(However, there were no raises either.)

I have a friend that is with Beasley in another market, and they have given me some insight as to how they work, especially in taking over another group of stations.

It is their opinion, based on what happened in their cluster, that salaries are reduced, and by significant amounts.

But the reality is he is 71 years old, he is going out on top and on his terms. Not many of us will ever have that luxury. Greater Media did not give that luxury to Tom Doyle who had his contract renewed at the same time the rest of the cast did....

Their last contract was inked in March of 2013, unless there was an extension I am not aware of.... so they are probably near the end of that deal....

Just one small point: Wally is NOT 71 years old; he was born in 1949, as was I.

With Beasley's takeover someone, I think @bostonradio on Twitter or maybe it was you, predicted both would be gone in 6 or 9 months. 35 years for L&R..started the same yr I started at WMWM

I fear that whoever made the original prediction may indeed be correct, and that Loren, sans Wally, will not be the same.

Loren mumbles and stumbles over his own words too too much. He definitely won't be the same after Wally is gone. So what happens with Loren?

Here's my take:

Starting in January (Loren is presumably off the last two weeks of the year as always), Loren works with various people who basically do on-air auditions. Now, this could be in-house people who are proven commodities such as traffic guy Hank Morse, weekender Paul Perry (a former morning host himself), Julie Devereaux (doubtful), etc. Eventually, they choose someone and Loren stays on awhile to get the new show going. At some point, Loren announces his own retirement down the road and either leaves completely or pulls a Dale Dorman and works off the rest of his contract on Saturday mornings.

My bet is Hank Morse gets it and he will be a solo host. He's in-house, a proven commodity, hosts the show occasionally when L&W are on vacation. LBF will stay on to do news. Lungboy will stay as producer but we'll hear less of him. There will obviously be a new traffic reporter. It will become more music-oriented and less talk-oriented. Hank already does the 80s at 8 (does he still do that?) so he knows how to host a music show.

Don't overthink this. John Dennis leaving WEEI was a much bigger exit than one member of an ensemble cast in a music show. Three or four months later it's like the guy never existed and EEI is just fine. Loren had a great run with Wally but come January 2nd no one will care. Except Beasley who will keep driving down operating costs to pay off that $250,000,000 in debt.

Just one small point: Wally is NOT 71 years old; he was born in 1949, as was I.

OK 66, 67,68, 220 221 whatever it takes.

at that age the only reason to get out of bed in the middle of the night is to go take a leak.

Dragging your backside to Dorchester in the middle of the night is not my idea of enjoying my golden years.

Life is short ......

Last edited:
Don't overthink this. John Dennis leaving WEEI was a much bigger exit than one member of an ensemble cast in a music show. Three or four months later it's like the guy never existed and EEI is just fine. Loren had a great run with Wally but come January 2nd no one will care. .

Ummmm...sorry to disagree. Most people I know would say "John who...?"

Wally isn't just "one member oif an ensemble cast". 35 years on a mass appeal morning show at or near the top of the ratings? When I mention "The station with Loren and Wally"...everyone knows what station that is, and what the show is...both men and women. (And almost everyone speaks well of it.)

If I said to 10 people on the street: "You know the station with Jon Dennis?" Most will not know (esp the women).

35 years of morning radio, they touched a lot of people, and did a lot of charity work.

Wally will be remembered for a long time. (Especially since his name was embedded into the shows title for 35 years.)

I kind of think we may be saying the same thing....or not. Loren's departure won't mean any more or less to the world than John Dennis'. BUT, John Dennis meant more to WEEI than Loren does to WROR. You can argue that point if you like, but in my opinion losing half a two person duo on a station that plays no music and was and is consistently among the market's top revenue stations is a much greater loss. I would say the same if Michael Felger left the Hub. There is no comparison to the potential ratings and revenue hit that would be sustained compared to one member of an ensemble on a music station. No denying Loren and Wally touched a lot of people, but if you said to 10 people on the street under the age of 45 "Loren is leaving WROR", they would likely say "Who is she?"

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

BUT, John Dennis meant more to WEEI than Loren does to WROR. You can argue that point if you like, but in my opinion losing half a two person duo on a station that plays no music and was and is consistently among the market's top revenue stations is a much greater loss.

Yes, you already stated that.

John Dennis is gone....and no one cares...he is simply replaced by another dude....and the billing continues.

Loren's show contributes top half of the stations revenue...and would be a much bigger hit to the station.

Yes, you already stated that.

John Dennis is gone....and no one cares...he is simply replaced by another dude....and the billing continues.

Loren's show contributes top half of the stations revenue...and would be a much bigger hit to the station.

I'm with you on this; you have my vote.

My guess is like most big morning shows Dennis & Callahan contributed a disproportionate share of billing to WEEI. The same would hold true for WBMX, WZLX, WKLB, WROR, etc. And to your point, like John Dennis, Loren will be replaced "by another dude" and two months after he is gone no one will care. The simple truth is a pair of late 60-something morning guys is actually holding back WROR from staying below the "54" threshhold, and when you layer in their high wages, this was a very easy call. In the end, the station will be better off, and Loren will have a very comfortable retirement. Everyone wins.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom